A Skirt Is The Way To Go For Men & Women

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Just thought I would share this article that I found.

http://www.hiking-for-her.com/a-skirt-i ... women.html
by Lisa
(Poughkeepsie, New York)

It is refreshing to see more women on the trail sporting skirts. Not only are they functional but they look great too.
If modesty is a concern then a nice skort is always an option. They are non restrictive, cool in the summer.
In the winter merlino wool is an option as is quilted, insulated options.
As for men, I am seeing more and more men sporting both skirts and kilts on the trail. I think this is a trend that will continue and I think it is great.
I know there is no shortage of opinions so here is one more. The skirt is not a gender specific garment. I understand most men will choose from an incredibly limited selection in the Kilt options. But they are very few with little choice.
That being said with skirts there are literally thousands of styles, colors and sizes already available that are marketed for woman.
As I said a skirt is not gender specific and therefore can be worn by a man. The right skirt on the right guy looks just as great on them as they do on us.
So go for it. It's just a skirt.
Today it is totally acceptable for a woman to wear any article of clothing that a man wears. A skirt should be an option that any man can enjoy for the very reason we wear skirts. Because we simply like to.

Comments for A Skirt Is The Way To Go For Men & Women

What's Old Is New Again
by: Donna

Way to go Lisa. I'm with you. Men have worn skirts for thousands of years. Somehow along the way they became taboo for western men. I think it's slowly changing to where I see it more often in running sports and hiking especially on the Appalachian Trail. Skirts just make so much sense for women and men. Much cooler in the summer than shorts. Hey it took 50 years for women to go completely mainstream in pants. Imagine that.
:ugeek:
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Skirt Is The Way To Go For Men & Women

Post by RichardA »

It seems that "most think" we need an excuse to wear a skirt, I don't.............
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Thank you neighbor. Its great to see a lady actually post her opinion. You are the First Other New Yorker I have seen an the site. Its a couple hundred miles. But at least we are in the same state.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Thank you neighbor. Its great to see a lady actually post her opinion. You are the First Other New Yorker I have seen an the site. Its a couple hundred miles. But at least we are in the same state.
According to his avatar, phathack lives in Texas. The author of the article quoted lives in New York.

But I agree it's nice to see women come on board. Because we all know that most men won't do anything unless it will attract women.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

moonshadow wrote:Because we all know that most men won't do anything unless it will attract women.
Yes, They would wear pink tutus if they thought it attracted women.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

From a different page on the website.....
Not just for the ladies!

Hiking kilts for men offer the same advantages that women's hiking skirts do,
including ventilation and freedom of movement.

Mountain Hardware makes a trail worthy kilt in a weather resistant fabric,
providing moisture wicking as well as modesty.

It has way more pockets than my hiking skirt! (she said in a wistful tone)

And I'm not the first woman to notice that a man in a kilt is worth a second look.

Just sayin'
The ladies DO LOOK! :oops: ;) :twisted: :clap:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Yes a good article and I have added my thoughts from this side of the pond
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have just come across this joke in a little booklet about Scottish jokes and sayings called "Away an' ask yer Mother"

"Excuse me, God", asked the wee angel.
"Why did you make men with such nice knees and legs?"

"Just to encourage them to wear their kilts, my dear!"
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re:the near future

Post by Grok »

Actually, it is easier to imagine large numbers of men in skorts than large numbers of men in bona fide skirts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Re:the near future

Post by oldsalt1 »

Grok wrote:Actually, it is easier to imagine large numbers of men in skorts than large numbers of men in bona fide skirts.
I don't understand skorts. If you are doing it for style and modesty maybe . But either you wear a skirt or you wear shorts why both at the same time..

When I put on a skirt its because I want to wear a skirt I don't want it to look like I am wearing a skirt :?: :?: :?:
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Wear your skirt. Wear dark knickers. Try and keep your legs crossed or knees together. If there's an occasional flash, not the end of the world. Skorts defeat the object for me, and are not as hygienic :oops:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have a skort and wear it often. It's a short, red skater skirt with built-in underwear. It's soooooo comfortable and something I can pull on quickly to preserve modesty. Must get a photo sometime. I wouldn't entertain a skirt with built-in shorts or one that is a pair of shorts with a front panel that looks like shorts from the back and a skirt from the front.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Re:the near future

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Actually, it is easier to imagine large numbers of men in skorts than large numbers of men in bona fide skirts.
I doubt it. Why would a guy wear something that looks like a skirt when it has precisely none of the main advantages of a skirt? Better, in that case, to wear those satin-like board-shorts that sort of look like skirts when at rest.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim2
Distinguished Member

Post by Jim2 »

Sinned wrote:I have a skort and wear it often. It's a short, red skater skirt with built-in underwear. It's soooooo comfortable and something I can pull on quickly to preserve modesty. Must get a photo sometime. I wouldn't entertain a skirt with built-in shorts or one that is a pair of shorts with a front panel that looks like shorts from the back and a skirt from the front.
How does one find a skort which has not shorts but underwear built-in? I must admit I've never tried buying a skort, and that is because I don't want shorts under my skirt. But I play tennis and now have a skirt with great pockets that I play in. It's the only skirt I've found that seems to work for this purpose, but I'd love to find another choice.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Jim2, the skort I have feels no different than wearing a short skater skirt and underwear. I'll try and get a photo later and post in Pics and Looks. It sure is comfortable - it feels like I'm hardly wearing anything at all. The label in the skirt says the brand is Resort - MOH bought it for me in a charity shop.