The gender creative boy

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The gender creative boy

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I didn't get the feeling the little girl was transitioning from being a boy just to not get harassed. I think she's just peeling the onion in the only way she knows how.

On the other hand, making it okay for boys to wear skirts and dresses would certainly keep such a scenario from happening.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Tor wrote:Ouch! The way that article is written it sounds like he started calling himself a girl to escape the harassment, not because of a real mismatch in his internal sense of who he is. Keeping that from happening is arguably an important side-benefit to Skirt Cafe.
I read the article three times to see if I could understand why you came to that conclusion, and I have to say that I can't. I don't see any evidence to support your claim that 'he started calling himself a girl to escape the harassment', sorry.

On the contrary, this seems to be a case of loving parents coming to understand and support the gradual realisation of their child that she is indeed trans. The fact that two years on, she still feels 'right' in her preferred gender indicates to me that she has made the correct decision. The last three paragraphs of the article tell it all.

Full marks to the girl and her loving family and also the school which has supported her.

I don't think Skirt Cafe has any role or benefit whatsoever in keeping anyone, young or old, from transition. People who are trans know that they are, at the deepest core of their being.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Steve, the segment I found that from is the first of the paragraphs you mention and the four before that.
At the end of that first week [of school], when he was going to bed on Friday night, he was upset about something...

It had been three days.

But it was also true. He had already decided. He didn’t think about that anymore. And he — she — never looked back. She grew out her hair. She stopped telling people she was a boy in a skirt and started being a girl in a skirt instead.
...Moved to private thread...
Last edited by Tor on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

Tor wrote: Perhaps I have a somewhat different view of things than you do....
Hmm... Yes, I think you do.
Thus, when I look at the timing, I can't help but ask if being a girl is for him taking the easy way out
When I look at the timing as described in the article, she is now two years into happily living as a girl. As her Mum says, 'she never looked back', and 'she can be who she is on the inside and on the outside, on weekdays as well as on weekends, at home and everywhere else'. Of course, we who are reading this article know nothing else other than what the mother has written. Nevertheless (and call me naive if you want), I am happy to take her account at face value.
...and wonder what will happen when puberty comes. If that is the case, then that is one possible transition that the success of SC would have stopped in its tracks.
No doubt it will not be all plain sailing, but then life rarely is. As you have observed, there is quite some time in hand before more significant decisions need to be made, for example, considering whether to prescribe puberty blockers; and if and when these stages are reached I have no doubt that such a well-informed and caring family will properly weigh all the options. But it is their business, not ours on this forum, and we are in no position to speculate further or make judgements. If I thought for one second that we actually did measure the 'success of SC' by how it stopped possible transitions in their tracks, then I would leave here in an instant, wanting no further association with such an obnoxious and offensive idea.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Hello Ralph,

Bravo! I got your point and could visualize that 3 dimensional graph.

You indeed have a 3-dimensional view of gender in all of the senses of the word.

As to your ultra-masculine male with pink fingernails, I ask yet again, "What impelled him to put that crack in his mold?" Yeah, a mote of feminine sensibility.
Another point of view is the question of whether our "macho Grizzly Adams" has had any exposure to the modern world, or does has he lived his entire life in solitude in the mountains among nature?

It's an important point because in another universe, men may very well have begun wearing stuff like nail polish in order to attract a mate. Such flamboyant practices are not unheard of in the land of the wild. Men may even go so far as to wear all sorts of bright flashy colors, and even skirts as they tend to give the human body a more "fuller" appearance.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.