Man Wearing Heels

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Silverwhisper

Man Wearing Heels

Post by Silverwhisper »

I found this article on a Facebook page. It is not about skirts, it is about a man wearing heels and was an inspiration to one person and maybe more looking at the comments.

http://sdgln.com/news/2016/06/07/mother ... ing-letter

Silverwhisper
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Man Wearing Heels

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Silverwhisper wrote:I found this article on a Facebook page. It is not about skirts, it is about a man wearing heels and was an inspiration to one person and maybe more looking at the comments.

http://sdgln.com/news/2016/06/07/mother ... ing-letter

Silverwhisper
Although he is an "inspiration" to those on Fakebook, the "be yourself" message is again distorted by his sexuality, which does little for the cause of making skirts less of a "fringe style statement" for men. I suspect many of the general public make certain assumptions when seeing something different, the most obvious of which is "gay"! (NB nothing wrong with being gay i.m.o.)

Whilst I am glad to see individuals pushing boundaries, whenever the clothing intersects with sexuality, the resulting message will be that all are considered the same. To further our cause, we need inspirational headlines such as that, where the individual is straight and makes such fact clear.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

You miss the bigger point DC, we provide that same sort of affirmation to others every time we go out in public. I have no doubt that every time we are seen in public in a dress or a skirt, there's someone who thinks, "If he can do THAT, then I can (do whatever his/her heart's desire is)."

Your forum name and your postings give me the impression that you identify with your cynicism. I used to too, until I became convinced that the glass really is half full. If I'm right about you, let me suggest that just as an experiment you try switching your perspective; you just might like it.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:You miss the bigger point DC, we provide that same sort of affirmation to others every time we go out in public. I have no doubt that every time we are seen in public in a dress or a skirt, there's someone who thinks, "If he can do THAT, then I can (do whatever his/her heart's desire is)."

Your forum name and your postings give me the impression that you identify with your cynicism. I used to too, until I became convinced that the glass really is half full. If I'm right about you, let me suggest that just as an experiment you try switching your perspective; you just might like it.
I think my posting has been misinterpreted.

Your assertion that each time one of us goes out in public in a skirt/dress/high heels etc, then there may be some who are inspired to think "I can do that, too" is correct; however, articles such as that linked above tend to draw attention to the individual's "differences", in this case his sexuality.

As said, this article draws attention to the fact that the wearer is gay, which, in the scheme of things is irrelevant; however, a significant number of people in the "I can do that, too" mindset will make a neurological connect "alternative" = "lgbt"; if they don't identify as "lgbt" they may feel constrained to conform as they do not identify with the individual. Also, the other "influenced" individual in the article appears to reach an epithany about their gender/sexual identity. Great for the individual concerned, and those of similar ilk, but not necessarily as liberating for others.

As regards my forum name, and the tenor of my postings, these are based upon events of the last few years. I can not only empathise, but fully understand and appreciate the events in the lives of some other members. I was an open advocate of skirt wearing or freestyling men between 2007 & 2011. "Off clock" the only place I didn't wear a skirt/tights/heels etc or combination thereof was in my ex-wife's town; I believed she'd have likely used the information to prevent me from seeing my child and this belief was later to be proven to be with foundation.

What changed was.... well, let's just say that environmental negativity took its toll, and leave it at that.