Refashioning Masculinity

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Refashioning Masculinity

Post by Raakone »

Found this link... https://www.thestar.com/life/2016/05/21 ... ality.html quite interesting!
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Refashioning Masculinity

Post by Gordon »

Yes interesting indeed. Men's use of feminine clothing seems to be getting more and more public comment in the affirmative. Thanks for sharing.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

No no no!

I don't want my masculinity redefining, thanks. I'm more than happy with it as it is - they can shove their feminisation of men.

This nonsense is inspired by the odious cult of modern feminism and I want nothing to do with it.

Stu
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Very good article... I could have wrote it myself. I consider myself a balance of masculine and feminine, depends on the day, and the alignment of the planets. But I do know I LOVE wearing things that are stereotypically "girly". I think they look nice on me, and as a man, I don't like being told I can't do something. Especially just because I'm a man.

To those who say...
Stu wrote:I don't want my masculinity redefining, thanks. I'm more than happy with it as it is - they can shove their feminisation of men.
Well, how we dress our self is a personal decision. To those who don't like wearing feminine clothes, well don't wear it.. that's their prerogative.

Not sure I agree with...
Stu wrote:This nonsense is inspired by the odious cult of modern feminism and I want nothing to do with it.
Having spent a fair amount of time arguing with "radical feminist" (misandrist) regarding their overall view of men in general, I can say that as a feminine skirt wearer, the "radial feminist" movement had no play in my desire to wear these garments. In fact, a part of me almost does this to SPITE the misandrist! They way they act all "smug" walking up and down the streets doing what ever the please and then getting all snotty if you look their way... because we're all perverted rapist ya know....

Oh yes... I like to wear my feminine stuff, because frankly, they may think their sh!t don't stink, but I've got more gall in my little finger then they have in their whole body. And no I don't want to "rape" them, so they can put the pepper spray down... I wouldn't touch them with a 50 foot stick. In fact, when they approach me on the sidewalk... I cross the street at walk on the other side of the road, I don't want to be anywhere near them. They may be aesthetically pleasing, but their SOUL is rotten to the core! I find that revolting.

So no... not every feminine man is a ball busting feminist. Then again... I am a pretty strange fella... :lol:

And before the libs here get their red on, recall I was referring to "radical feminist" aka "misandrist", NOT feminist in general, or even women in general for that matter. Most women are pretty cool.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

To Stu's point, I did not get the impression that the article was about "feminising" men, but rather an expansion of what is possible for the masculine character. The distinction is subtle but important. In my case, I am masculine, by birth, by sex, and by gender; this may not be the case for everybody, and I'm alright with that, but, I am happy to be a man and I enjoy it; however, that doesn't mean that I have a taste for some of the finer more frivolous things in life.
moonshadow wrote:Having spent a fair amount of time arguing with "radical feminist" (misandrist) regarding their overall view of men in general, I can say that as a feminine skirt wearer, the "radial feminist" movement had no play in my desire to wear these garments. In fact, a part of me almost does this to SPITE the misandrist! They way they act all "smug" walking up and down the streets doing what ever the please and then getting all snotty if you look their way... because we're all perverted rapist ya know....
Save for watching what's going on in the realm of radical "feminism", mainly to see what assault on men's freedoms are coming next, that world is largely irrelevant. It's a threat to be sure -- viz the problems I had last year which, I suspect, had extra "thrust" put behind them in the form of misandrist coaching -- but otherwise is has precisely nothing to do with our world.

Funnily, I look at radical feminists as little more than wannabe males who know they'll never get there. I also think some of that's in play when you watch the behaviour of "soccer moms" now. Gone is the minivan and they all drive honking big SUVs. As I joked about positively years ago when that trend was first lighting off, "I'm not so worried about environmental oestrogens, I'm vastly more worried about testosterone-poisoning in the environment."

So, the radical "feminists" want to retain their ovaries and also acquire testicles. They've badly warped what it means to actually be a man in the process. What's to keep men from flipping them the proverbial bird and branching out on their own and not trying to theoretically redefine (and cheapen) "masculinity" but instead, proudly redefining it by practise and behaviour. In the man's world, results are king. Produce no result -- or, worse, a negative result -- and you'll get very, very, little respect.

By the by, at least a couple of us have interacted on-line with one of the guys in that Ryerson study just this past December. I thought the lead-in to the new story looked familiar, and, sure enough, it was. A link to it is several topics down on this page under something to the effect of "How (and why) to wear a skirt (as a man)".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Funnily, I look at radical feminists as little more than wannabe males who know they'll never get there. I also think some of that's in play when you watch the behaviour of "soccer moms" now. Gone is the minivan and they all drive honking big SUVs. As I joked about positively years ago when that trend was first lighting off, "I'm not so worried about environmental oestrogens, I'm vastly more worried about testosterone-poisoning in the environment."
Ahh yes, and isn't it interesting, these "feminist" want us (the people in general) to embrace the "feminine" and raise it to a level of "manhood", and yet these "feminist" themselves are emulating MEN, and a testosterone driven world! When one does occasionally rise to power, it's in a power suit, and generally the woman is more or less acting like the male pigs that came before her!

Personally, I think a world with a little more estrogen at the helm would be a good thing. Not these women with a proverbial ball sack. We've got enough of that. :roll:

--And the statement above is NOT a political endorsement, I'm just stating generally.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...Ahh yes, and isn't it interesting, these "feminist" want us (the people in general) to embrace the "feminine" and raise it to a level of "manhood", and yet these "feminist" themselves are emulating MEN, and a testosterone driven world!...
The objective is not for women to act like men, or for men to act like women, but for everyone to act like themselves.

You have nothing to lose but your stereotypes.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Very well and succinctly put Caultron.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I have no problem with those men who wish to adopt a feminine persona doing just that. But let's be clear - that is a feminine persona, and not an aspect of their masculine identity.

The article is clearly predicated on feminist dogma. It doesn't respect masculinity: it seeks to "refashion" it, deconstruct it and the like. Why? Because feminists like to portray masculinity as "toxic". It goes on about wanting to "challenge patriarchy" - which is a popular feminist bogeyman - it doesn't actually exist. It also talks about challenging misogyny. Of course, misogynists do exist; mostly they are incarcerated in maximum security prisons, but the notion that society is generally misogynist is just another inane feminist trope. The whole article is a feminist diatribe and we must not fall for it: it is misandry dressed up as something liberating.

Surely our aim is not to, as the article states, "embrace the feminine". I have no desire to do any such thing because I am not feminine. What we should be seeking, in my view, is a redefining of the specific garments - skirts in particular - as ones which are not seen as inherently feminine any more than trousers are perceived as exclusively masculine.

If we accept the premise of the article that wearing a skirt is the means by which we can, and indeed should, deconstruct masculinity and "embrace the feminine", then we have conceded that the skirt is inherently feminine and we can only wear them as feminine beings.

To hell with that! :x
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Stu wrote:I have no problem with those men who wish to adopt a feminine persona doing just that.
I know. I didn't take your comment as such. In fact, I believe I see what you were getting at, and can agree with it's structure. I more or less just wanted to clear the air that not all "feminine" dressed men (myself in point) do so to appease radical feminist. I can't speak for others however.
Stu wrote:The article is clearly predicated on feminist dogma. It doesn't respect masculinity: it seeks to "refashion" it, deconstruct it and the like. Why? Because feminists like to portray masculinity as "toxic". It goes on about wanting to "challenge patriarchy" - which is a popular feminist bogeyman - it doesn't actually exist. It also talks about challenging misogyny. Of course, misogynists do exist; mostly they are incarcerated in maximum security prisons, but the notion that society is generally misogynist is just another inane feminist trope. The whole article is a feminist diatribe and we must not fall for it: it is misandry dressed up as something liberating.
Ehhh... yeah I can see what you're saying. Although it's certainly not the most dogmatic feminist article I've ever read. I think it's middle of the road enough to pass for fair....
Stu wrote:Because feminists like to portray masculinity as "toxic".
1,000% accurate!
Stu wrote:If we accept the premise of the article that wearing a skirt is the means by which we can, and indeed should, deconstruct masculinity and "embrace the feminine", then we have conceded that the skirt is inherently feminine and we can only wear them as feminine beings.
True.... or we can just pull a Caultron and be oursevles! (what ever that may be) - As for me, I enjoy balance. I like embracing all of me, both sides, masculine and feminine. That's why I enjoy acting like the man I am, even when wearing what is considered "feminine" attire. That's why when wearing my feminine clothes, I'll still play for the "man rule book", I.E. nodding with a "how are ya" when passing other men, telling male jokes, arguing for men's rights, and holding the door for people (not just ladies, EVERYONE deserves a certain kindness in public). In other words, while I may be "dressed like a girl"... I still try to be a gentleman.

That's my m.o.
Caultron wrote:The objective is not for women to act like men, or for men to act like women, but for everyone to act like themselves.
-Andrea
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Caultron wrote: The objective is not for women to act like men, or for men to act like women, but for everyone to act like themselves.
That sums it up for me
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I would have liked to participate in that event.

For myself, having found the confidence to wear skirts wherever I want, I have felt a huge increase of my self perceived masculinity. I feel, and act, more masculine.

I present the peacock, and the peahen.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 3_2493.JPG
Orange Apple
Distinguished Member

Post by Orange Apple »

Caultron wrote: The objective is not for women to act like men, or for men to act like women, but for everyone to act like themselves.

I think we're making strides, as a society, in the realization that gender is not black and white, but a range between 100% female and 100% male. Different people are closer to one end than the other, but vanishingly few are 100% at either end.

As I read the articles on this forum, I have been examining and trying to understand my motivation for wearing a skirt. I started with the assumption that it was because I wanted to challenge the idea that men could not wear that specific article of clothing. I realize now that there's more to it than that; by wearing a skirt I am making a statement, whether I want to or not, about my own gender orientation.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

When I put a skirt on, I am making no statement at all about my gender orientation (not least because I don't know what that phrase means). All I'm thinking about is wearing something which is comfortable and looks good. However once I'm out and about, the funny looks I receive remind me that I am challenging the idea that men cannot wear skirts. Maybe some people wonder about my gender orientation, but that's in their heads, not mine.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

My thoughts on the matter line up pretty well with SkirtyScot's. I am saying precisely nothing about anything whatsoever to do with gender or sexuality. It's purely an expression of style preference and comfort. It's the "There is no subtext." notion that I've deployed in several situations to dispel errant thoughts on the matter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!