Why Guys Should Wear Skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Why Guys Should Wear Skirts

Post by Caultron »

"The male skirt takes a herculean amount of confidence mixed with the right brand of eccentricity to work. Without the perfect confluence of those two things, you’re just a crazy guy wearing a skirt.”

http://www.risqmagazineunt.news/fashion ... ar-skirts/
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Why Guys Should Wear Skirts

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:"The male skirt takes a herculean amount of confidence mixed with the right brand of eccentricity to work. Without the perfect confluence of those two things, you’re just a crazy guy wearing a skirt.”
I'd say that you only need that juxtaposition of the virtually implausible while you're working out your particular style -- or even trying to find the muse for your own particular style. Once you've found that sense of style, and created workable, believable looks using it, you're likely unassailable. The level of confidence doesn't need to be "Herculean"; it needs to be just the right amount to pull everything together; eccentricity is entirely optional. Too much "confidence" comes across as cockiness -- which is usually negatively received.

Sometimes, one doesn't need a muse to guide him; sometimes, one finds his muse in the most unlikely of places. Occasionally, there may be more than one at work at a time (I have several). But whatever the driver, it's up to each of us to discover it, harness it, make it our own, and OWN IT. Only in that way can we truly be individuals instead of carbon-copies (and smudged ones at that) of all the other lemming-like tragedies.

Find your muse, work with her/him/it/whatever, and prefect something. The world will be a better place for it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I agree the term, "Herculean," may be a bit strong, but wearing a skirt well in public does require a good measure of confidence.

And I think finding your look means, at least to some extent, finding a style you can be confident in.

And as to eccentric, c'mon, if you're a man in a skirt you've got that covered. We can wish things were different but they aren't.

So while the quote may be overstated, I still like it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The publication mentioned in the original post in this thread got me to looking around at other articles thereon, including this one. It's written from the female perspective, and I have to wonder how many guys have ever felt the sense of support and "unconditional love" the author felt, if only for a seemingly fleeting moment -- and from a guy she obviously discarded?

I know I haven't; there's been nothing even close to "unconditional love" in my life since I flew the nest of my childhood. I'll not say that it's been a bed of thorns, but there have been lots of times it's been pretty prickly and others when it's been pretty lonesome.

So, once again, we come up against a double-standard that's tilted against men. ****. Oh, well, I guess I shouldn't gripe. At least I'm not in jail or dead.

Also, there's this article about a lass who clothed and made herself up as a different "type" each day for most of a week. The read is interesting. I suspect some of the reactions she received were because she didn't really own the look: she was masquerading. This may have some resonance for us here, for if we fail to embrace what we do, we may betray ourselves and look like posers. That'd be sad. Bonus points to those who can figure out which image from this article immediately made me go, "Oh, YEAH!".

All in all, I do not believe that there's as much ground to make up as some would have us believe. I really suspect that if we put our minds to it, we (as in "each of us") can develop our own sense of style (which is entirely different from "Fashion", mind), and if we carry it proudly, we'll do well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

I liked the way the article explained that most our fears are in our heads when it comes to skirts and most people just don't care. I saw a man wearing a sari type skirt with an African top - I was more drawn to the top than anything else. No one has time to worry about your skirt. Fashion is changing - a few years ago, no man would be seen dead in jeans so tight they could pass for leggings :roll:
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

kilty wrote:Fashion is changing - a few years ago, no man would be seen dead in jeans so tight they could pass for leggings :roll:
This man wouldn't be seen dead in jeans, leggings tight or otherwise. I haven't worn them, except for when doing dirty manual labor, for 15 or 20 years.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco