Kickin' South Dakota

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Jetblasted

Kickin' South Dakota

Post by Jetblasted »

Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kickin' South Dakota

Post by Stu »

I see the article says: "and people against ‘manspreading’ is starting to become more popular".

This is a dreadful manifestation of misandry (man-hating) as practised by some feminists.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

A Twitter search for Man Skirt often shows more than your typical kilt. :wink:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't know... I didn't really take this article as "ball busting feminist". Seemed to be a gal writing a general observational commentary on a what appears to be an upcoming trend.

Still, I've got a skirt that you could do a 180 degree split in and still have plenty of skirt to cover the jewels. So by all means.... spread em!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Stu wrote:I see the article says: "and people against ‘manspreading’ is starting to become more popular".

This is a dreadful manifestation of misandry (man-hating) as practised by some feminists.
I tend to agree with Stu, to the extent that traditional Feminism seems to wish to deny fundamental biological differences, along with the obvious psychological differences in the ways men and women process the world around them. It's a shame that differences cannot be celebrated not just between the sexes, but between sexual orientations, gender identifications, etc. We would be better served if Feminism was more akin to Humanism, and allowed all individuals equality and the freedom to be whom and what they need and desire to be. Feminism, in modern practice, is a one-sided sham in its social agenda, and is largely populated with women who wish to "have their cake and eat it too." They seem to chase a male ideal, which in itself is a sad statement on the hypocrisy of Feminism in practice, implying that most women still hold an inherent if denied belief that the masculine is to be idealized and the feminine is to be shunned. They demand to emulate amd imitate men, but turn up their noses when men do the same toward things traditionally feminine. But I digress; I really intended to address this "manspreading", and its basic biology.

Not all men are created with the same skeletal structure, and few men share the skeletal structure that women have, though some do. This fact is the source of "manspreading"; it is not some rude or selfish act or conspiracy to dominate a territory.

Some men can sit with legs together for long periods, but for many it is uncomfortable and unnatural. It has nothing to do with the size of one's thighs or genitalia, but merely to do with the inherent shape of the pelvis. My oldest brother, for example has a very different pelvic shape from any of other men in our family. He can sit for long periods, naturally and easily, with his legs crossed like a woman might cross hers. I have not been able to do that since I was probably 10 years old. I can force myself into that position, but it is roughly akin to doing yoga...not comfortable or natural, and sustained only by forced stretching of my hip joints. My brother's pelvis, however, is probably as wide as his chest, which is very different from most men. He also has longer legs than the rest of us, much in the proportions that a woman might have. In my body, despite a "thigh gap" when standing, my hips just do not naturally flex inward, and it is a very awkward position to force them.

The following is excerpted from The Science of Flexibility, Third Edition, by Michael J. Alter, MS, page 120:

"The pelvic regions of men and women allow the female body a greater range of flexibility. Men's pelvic bones are generally heavier and rougher; the brim is not as rounded; the cavity is less spacious; the sacroasciatic notch, pubic arch, and sacrum are narrower; and the acetabula are closer together than women's. Generally, most women have broader and shallower hips than men, and therefore a greater range of movement in the pelvic region. In particular, the shallowness of the female pelvis permits a greater degree of joint play.

However, even among women, pelvic types vary, and each has its own influence on ROM. The most commonly used pelvic classification system was developed by Caldwell and Malloy (1933). It describes four main groups based on the shape of the pelvic brim.

1. The gynecoid pelvis is the most common type, occurring in 50% of all women. This pelvic type permits the easiest vaginal birth and is characterized by a round or slightly oval pelvic inlet. The subpubic angle, or pubic arch, is almost 90 degrees.

2. The android pelvis resembles the male pelvis and is found in about 20% of women. It is characterized by a heart-shaped brim, a wedge-shaped pelvic inlet, and a subpubic angle between 60 and 75 degrees. This pelvic shape, also called the funnel pelvis, produces difficulty in delivery because the baby's head frequently becomes arrested transversely in the midpelvis.

3. The platypelloid or flat pelvis is the least common among men and women. It is found in less than 5% of those examined and has a kidney-shaped brim and a narrow anteroposterior diameter. During labor, rotation of the baby's head may be restricted, and deep transverse flattening of the head may occur.

4. The anthropoid pelvis occurs in about 20% of women. It has an oval brim, a larger anteroposterior diameter, and a smaller transverse diameter compared with other types of pelvises. Generally the pelvis is so large that labor is easy."

Other sources show photos revealing that the angle at which the hip ball is attached to the femur can vary from around 10 degrees to 40 degrees, as can the distance to which the ball extends from the femur. Female pelvises tended to evolve to facilitate childbirth, e.g. wider and more open; to enable women to both survive delivery and deliver healthy babies, while male evolution was more to facilitate bipedal mobility, i.e. speed when running and strength in physical labor. Our sitting styles therefore are mostly hereditary as a result of those natural selection pressures in sex evolution. So, though some men can sit comfortably with legs closely crossed, they are probably more the exception than the rule.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...