Stop policing men's gender who wear feminine things

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Stop policing men's gender who wear feminine things

Post by skirtingtoday »

Did anyone catch this article?

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/07/pol ... ne-things/

Well thought out and worded article - but will it change anything? I sincerely hope so!

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Stop policing men's gender who wear feminine things

Post by crfriend »

It would be truly wonderful to see an article -- just once -- that doesn't conflate one's sense of style with one's gender or sexuality. The two do not have to be connected, and likely are disconnected more often than not. It's time to leave the "connection" in the dustbin where it rightfully belongs; not to do so does a large disservice to men who have an alternate sartorial sense and who happen to be perfectly "normal" blokes in all other aspects. I would even go so far as to call the "connection" a form of bullying of the lowest sort as there can be no defense when it's applied.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Not an article, just a random memory from my past.
This would have been, in the early 1970 s and it's not a skirt, but a jacket. I'd describe it as a "bomber", woollen, navy/white combination with a "sailor" collar.
I wore it a few times, but one comment, "poofy", and I never had it on again.
In those days, I hadn't grown the "guts" to brazen it out.
The worst part is that jacket would really set off some the skirts that I now wear on a daily basis.
The brand was "Campus", I thought, "student", how naive could I have been?
Still loved it for all of that!
Steve.
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

I read the "transcript", though it seemed a little short for the reported length of the video. Can't say as I found it all that interesting.
crfriend wrote:It would be truly wonderful to see an article -- just once -- that doesn't conflate one's sense of style with one's gender or sexuality. The two do not have to be connected, and likely are disconnected more often than not.
I wholeheartedly agree here. Last I checked, no serious study has shown /any/ connection between colour, fabric choice, or cut, and gender or sex - except that of what the majority of folk of a society demonstrate by example. I seem to recall seeing something about Chinese people reacting to reds somewhat more, but there was a confounding positive association with red in their culture that seemed to be the most likely explanation. That, if I recall correctly, was stronger than the same/similar study on men/women and pink - though the details of what I read are getting a bit hazy by now.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"