A comfy alternativeto pants for men

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

A comfy alternativeto pants for men

Post by Caultron »

This appeared recently in a Life and Style column by Ellen Warren in the Chicago Tribute, that city's largest newspaper.

Dear Answer Angel Ellen: I have an off-beat question for you. I am a guy. I started experimenting with wearing skirts, mostly to bed or on rare occasion around the house. My wife and I have talked at length about different looks. I am not trying for the drag queen or feminine look. Skirts are just more comfortable than pants especially on hot, muggy days. I have seen men’s skirts, but the prices are out of this world ... especially for what I am wearing as glorified lounge wear. The most gender neutral I have been able to come up with are American Apparel’s interlock cotton pencil skirt in solid colors or one type of Worthington pencil skirt in black or tan. But since you have the in on fashion, maybe you have some ideas of what works and what doesn’t, and why.
— Anon. (for reasons you can figure) in rural Pa.

Dear Anon.: I’ll grant you that the question is a little offbeat but certainly not a shocker. To research my answer all I had to do was walk across the room and talk to my colleague Kevin Williams who was, at that very moment, wearing a tailored gray pencil skirt. He told me he bought it online in a women’s plus size at Talbot’s (talbots.com). Kevin agrees completely that skirts are more comfortable than pants, and he wears them often. And, honestly, he wears them well! Here’s his response to your question: “Tell him that he can shop at Utilikilts (utilikilts.com), which specializes in (not plaid) kilts for men starting at $150. There is also Apostrophe (apostrophe.cc) for skirts starting at $40. The pencil is always a tidy, elegant choice. I would steer clear of knit or interlock skirts in public, because of the prominence of certain portions of the male anatomy.” For those intrigued but hesitant, the Apostrophe website has encouraging tips for male skirt wearing: “The truth be known, once you start wearing skirts in public you will be astounded by how many compliments you will get (male and female). Yes you will get the occasional gawker, but that will happen no matter what you wear. In truth: If you live your life seeking approval from 100 percent of the populace then you will die well before your life’s ambition is realized, so we say: Enjoy yourself! Be comfortable, be confident and be yourself.”

Well, yes! Just walk across the office and ask that guy who wears skirts everyday where he gets them. You just never know.

The Web page is restricted but here's the URL anyway:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyle ... olumn.html
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A comfy alternativeto pants for men

Post by Gordon »

I tried to look up the apostrophe.cc Web site. I get to the site. But there's nothing there. Anyone have better luck?
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Caultron,
Odd that the link seemed to block that article yet it led me straight to a piece about a serial killer. I didn't even try that one.
"Anon" could do a lot worse than drop into the cafe, there's a few of us here who may be the "guy" to ask.
I'm curious, tell more about "rural PA"? Unfortunately , I'm guessing this may be a dumb question.
Steve.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Must in the Paisley postcode area, Stevie. Maybe it's B&B!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Apostrophe.cc is located in Barrie, Ontario, Canada.
Click on the headings at the top to see what's available.
He makes 'Custom Crafted' skirts for men, one at a time.
He does not maintain any inventory but makes each one
per the dimensions when ordered. Damian Spaulding is
the main force behind the site. He's on Facebook too!

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:I'm curious, tell more about "rural PA"? Unfortunately , I'm guessing this may be a dumb question.
There is no such thing as a dumb question -- only dumb mistakes made due to lack of asking!

Rural PA, in this case would be some random rural location in the US state of Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania varies enormously in its level of urbanization ranging from metropolises like Philadelphia to parts that seriously resemble Appalachia in West Virginia. So, if the guy in question was from one of the latter areas he might be hammering on a hornets' nest with a stick. There are places even I stay away from.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

LGG wrote:I tried to look up the apostrophe.cc Web site. I get to the site. But there's nothing there. Anyone have better luck?
Here's the URL
http://www.apostrophe.cc/

The website seems a bit sparse - it could do with a lot more pictures.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I posted the Tribune link on FB, then when I clicked on the link there I went straight to the article. Innnnnteresting! :P
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Stevie D wrote:
LGG wrote:I tried to look up the apostrophe.cc Web site. I get to the site. But there's nothing there. Anyone have better luck?
Here's the URL
http://www.apostrophe.cc/

The website seems a bit sparse - it could do with a lot more pictures.

Thanks, I was trying it on my smart phone. It works a lot better on my regular computer.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I would have to be an on-line subscriber to read the article.
No Thanks :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:Hi Caultron,
Odd that the link seemed to block that article yet it led me straight to a piece about a serial killer. I didn't even try that.
Yeah, the newspaper is trying to charge for access to that column, but not if somebody links in from Facebook. That's why I cut and pasted the interesting parts of the article in my post.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron