Cross-Gender Acceptance

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Cross-Gender Acceptance

Post by Caultron »

This isn't strictly about wearing skirts, but interesting nevertheless. A 16-year-old South Carolina boy named Chase Culpepper passed his driver's test but was told he couldn't have his photo ID made until he removed the make-up he was wearing. The photographer or some bureaucrat thought that if the photo was taken with him in makeup, the police wouldn't be able to recognize him without. They cited a policy against being, "in disguise," for the photo.

This despite the fact that he always wears makeup.

And the fact that police don't seem to have any trouble identifying women with or without makeup, regardless of how their photo was taken.

The incident drew a lot of comment on Facebook, which you can see at https://www.facebook.com/robt.shepherd/ ... 6522297995

What's most interesting about the Facebook thread, however, is the overwhelming support the boy received. Most felt that if women don't have to remove their makeup, why should males?

And it makes you wonder, if people are really that accepting and supportive of a boy wearing makeup, wouldn't they feel the same about wearing a skirt?

A New York group named Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund is now supporting Culpepper. That organization and Chase himself both state that he regularly wears makeup and androgynous or girls' clothing. Apparently, however, no one has an issue with that.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Cross-Gender Acceptance

Post by JohnH »

I saw pictures of Chase with and without makeup, and they do not look much different at all.

A man could have his ID picture taken with a beard and later can shave it off, or vice versa. There would be a much larger change of appearance.

The DMV should have not made Chase take his makeup off. At least he was honest enough to select the male marker M instead of F (female).

John
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Agreed. This incident shows a small-minded and discriminatory mindset on the part of the South Carolina DMV.

I mean, if the makeup made Culpepper look like a Klingon or like Godzilla, I could see the problem. But not just eyeliner, eyebrows, pancake, and lipstick. Women put on and change that stuff all the time.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Juzt remember that was SOUTH Carolina, not North Carolina. Those folks are pretty odd. They even make BBQ sauce with mustard! Talk about disgusting! Not that our social bigots are much better, but we aren't quite that narrow. SC, as our governor might say, really put their "stupid hat" on in this case.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:They even make BBQ sauce with mustard!
Oi! What's wrong with mustard? :twisted:

But, yes, the "stupid hat" was definitely on that day. (I need to remember that term...)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

crfriend wrote:But, yes, the "stupid hat" was definitely on that day. (I need to remember that term...)
I usually suggest that a person had a big bowl of stupid flakes for breakfast that morning.
Usually in reference to a co-worker who apparently has family/political connections to the owner of my employer, or she would have been gone years ago. :roll:
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

crfriend wrote:
dillon wrote:They even make BBQ sauce with mustard!
Oi! What's wrong with mustard? :twisted:

But, yes, the "stupid hat" was definitely on that day. (I need to remember that term...)
You never know what secret ingredients go into BBQ sauce.

Also the South Carolina DMV really did not need the headaches and negative publicity from the high handed actions of the employee who singled out Chase Culpepper. I'll bet that employee's superiors inwardly groaned.

On the other hand... I remember in the late 1960's touring a paper mill in South Carolina while on vacation. I remember looking at state requirements that there had to be 4 sets of restrooms: One for white men, one for white women, one for colored men, and another one for colored women. So I guess poor Chase is dealing with Neanderthal people.

John
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

We are talking pork bbq here, but in eastern NC, pork is cooked for eight to twelve hours over low heat with a sauce of vinegar and red pepper. It keeps the flavor in the meat and carries the spice through it. The cooks, attending the fire and delicious beast, are generally entitled to medicate themselves against the long hours with a decent bourbon, hints of which occasionally also end up in the sauce. In western NC, the sauce is similar with red pepper and vinegar, but also contains some tomato paste or other tomato product, and perhaps molasses and/or Worcestershire sauce, still very tasty. Mustard, however, is simply overpowering and does not belong in bbq sauce, unless the pig you are cooking wasn't of suitable eating quality to start with. In SC, that too is a possibility. BTW, any bottled bbq sauce with gum xanthan should be avoided like the plague; it is an insult to the pig which died for our culinary pleasure, and generally horrid in flavor. BTW, down here, barbeque/barbecue is more a noun than a verb. The verb is "to cook a pig".
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:[...] Mustard, however, is simply overpowering and does not belong in bbq sauce, unless the pig you are cooking wasn't of suitable eating quality to start with.
In this case, I am willing to stand corrected even though I happen to really like mustard.

How'd you get through the recent storm? It pretty well grazed the Carolinas and outright hit Hatteras.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I don't like BBQ sauce of any description so this conversation goes completely over my head. I like mustard in moderation.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Zorba
Distinguished Member

Post by Zorba »

Sinned wrote:I don't like BBQ sauce of any description so this conversation goes completely over my head. I like mustard in moderation.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion - except I *LOVE* mustard! As long as its "yellow" mustard, not that Grey Poo-poo stuff... :lol:
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Zorba wrote:
Sinned wrote:I don't like BBQ sauce of any description so this conversation goes completely over my head. I like mustard in moderation.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion - except I *LOVE* mustard! As long as its "yellow" mustard, not that Grey Poo-poo stuff... :lol:
You know what causes yellow mustard to be yellow - it is the turmeric (gaak!) added to mustard. Otherwise the mustard would be brown. So I have the opposite opinion. Well, different strokes for different folks.

John
happykilt

Post by happykilt »

JohnH wrote:
You know what causes yellow mustard to be yellow - it is the turmeric (gaak!) added to mustard. Otherwise the mustard would be brown. So I have the opposite opinion. Well, different strokes for different folks.

John
Well, have made mustard myself, never even heard someone adds turmeric in mustard. My mustard is yellow.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I know that there are American, English and French mustards. Don't know if there are any others - there probably are.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

In the United States there are two main types of mustard:
-Brown mustard which is a brownish yellow color without turmeric.
I should have been clear in saying what we call brown mustard is actually brownish yellow.
-Yellow mustard which has a bright yellow color with turmeric.

John