Good press - it happens!

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Good press - it happens!

Post by renesm1 »

Just read the other thread and thought this was timely.

Skirts for men are getting more and more into mainstream thought and I detect a lot less sneering from so-called fashion experts.

It almost feels as if the door is open and we just need to push.

http://www.planetnotion.com/2014/02/12/ ... man-skirt/
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Good press - it happens!

Post by couyalair »

Surprisingly positive -- especially the last few words :
"..., take inspiration from Owens and Doma and wear your man-skirt with your head held high and your ears shut tight – you’ll probably get a few comments in the street, but you’ll probably look pretty cool whilst doing it."

I like that!
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

This is encouraging news!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Whilst it is still good news, it is still just a drip-drip-drip rather than the sea-change we all want to see.

David Beckham's sarong was you may recall over 15 YEARS ago, so what has happened since?

Vin Diesel wore a black leather kilt/skirt - once in 2003, :)
Cam Gigandet wore a Utilitikilt - once in 2008, :)
Djibril Cisse (QPR footballer) wore a box-pleated skirt - once is 2012, :D
Keyne West wore a leather kilt - once in 2013 (and even tried to ban publication of the pictures!) :)
Marc Jacobs (being a fashion designer) has advocated for quite a few years now and has worn man-skirts and other dresses but there are only a very few others who have thrown a skirt on a man for the "shock" effect. Mostly for men it is trousers, trousers, and trousers - and occasionally shorts. :(

Have I missed anyone? (no doubt I have missed many - feel free to reply) :?

All I can see is that it is a very poor record but is the intervals between the celebs wearing skirts reducing to annually instead of every 4 or 5 years?

Oh I know that there are some men (Scots and non-Scots) who wear a plaid kilt occasionally (Mike Myers, Ewan McGregor, Sean Connery, Gerald Butler, Donald Trump Jr, Samuel L. Jackson, Snoop Dogg immediately spring to mind) and all look good, but none of them have worn an actual "skirt" or even a man-skirt. (Don't bring up that a "kilt is a skirt" argument, one is accepted, the other isn't - yet!)
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

skirtingtoday wrote:All I can see is that it is a very poor record but is the intervals between the celebs wearing skirts reducing to annually instead of every 4 or 5 years?
Hmmm... Looks rather like the build of a waterfall after the flow to the upper basin starts. This list also seems to take in only the most widely known celebrities who come onto our radar, and no doubt there are other somewhat less known folk who wear skirts even more often. We're also early yet in 2014, so will we possibly see two suitable entries for this list in the remainder of this year?
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

It would be good to see a lot more male celebrities wearing real skirts (not just kilts) as I think that will have a huge influence on Joe Public.

Think of Kathryn Hepburn many years ago who wore pants (ie trousers) to an Acadamy awards evening and shocked/stunned many people before it became fashionable. Thereafter, almost all women now wear trousers and no-one bats an eye-lid! 8)

We need some real men who will do the same! :D
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

None are very recent, but the front man for Placebo used to wear a skirt regularly on stage. I think Axl Rose used to wear kilts on stage, fairly sure there was a video of him kilted on stage to one of their singles. Eddie Izzard used to, well be more of a transvestite really, as did Boy George.
I saw Rolf Harris in concert in Glasgow a few years back, back just after he had "Stairway to Heaven" in the charts. He had a leather (bikers) jacket on and a kilt. Fantastic night that was.
Fish (ex Marillion lead singer) has also been kilted on stage.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

There's a ceilidh caller (Gordon Potts) who wears a black Utilikilt. We've nodded approval to each other :D

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
ethelthefrog
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ethelthefrog »

Positive article overall. The thing that annoys me is that some people feel the need to prefix everything with "man-" or "male-". You don't compliment a woman on her attire by saying "That's a lovely pair of woman-trousers you're wearing today".

Vaguely related, in Meet the Fockers (I really don't recommend that film), the male lead tells us that his job is "a male nurse". Well, it's fairly obvious that you're male, and would have been odd if he'd said "I'm a female nurse", so why not just "a nurse"?

Hey ho.

I personally can't wait for the weather here to warm up so I can get my skirts (or man-skirts if you must) out of my wardrobe again.

Paul
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I did post in another thread that Freddy Flintoff was seen playing netball in a dress. At least it looks like a dress to me albeit a very short one.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Here is a pic of the occasion - judge for yourself. I think it is more like a dress as it flares out slightly, more than a long T would do

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That is definitely a dress/tunic -- with compression shorts under.

What was "the occasion"?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Here is a link - it notes there was a tri-series of netball between England, Jamaica and New Zealand. I note that a couple of other men were reported sporting the mini-dresses as well. :D

http://www.kukrisports.co.uk/freddie-fl ... kukri-one/

And its not the first time Freddie has appeared in a dress - see this article from a few years back when he modelled a dress in the Serena Williams fashion line. :D

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest- ... -the-slips
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

The linked article (or one of the ones linked from it) points up that Freddie's a size 22. I'm not sure if the sizes are compatible between sides of the Pond (most likely not), but for skirts I'm a 14 -- but have problems finding them long enough.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Netball (which I have played, incidentally) is a uniform sport. There is an established and regulation uniform to wear that is designed specifically for it and gives the wearer both the freedom of movement and also the requisite "look".

If you took up judo, you would wear the traditional judogi - if you play netball, you wear the same kit that other netballers wear and that is mostly a short dress these days.

Stu