Fijian island bans men's pants on Sundays

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Fijian island bans men's pants on Sundays

Post by Raakone »

Caultron wrote:I've been to the Polynesian Cultural Center as well, but I think the sarongs and grass skirts were always just traditional dress. The islanders had no need for trousers and just never invented them.
Well, sort of. In the case of Samoa, Tahiti, and Hawai'i, at least, there were tapa (bark-cloth) versions of sarongs worn by men for special occasions. But many men typically wore just malo or maro, or loincloths, presumably of similar material. The cloth sarongs were kinda introduced...by the palagi, or haole....the Europeans. Actually, because of enlightened missionaries. They urged them to cover up more, but rather than adopting the whole "YOU BELONG TO US, YOU SHALL BE LIKE US" attitude that missionaries have used for a long time, it was more adopting to local ideas. With cloth available, the "i'e lavalava" ("Cloth that wraps around) became standard (the tapa version, in Samoa, was called an "i'e siapo", "siapo" being the Samoan name for tapa) The malo was initially "demoted" to underwear, for all purposes, but then seemed to have faded away. More formal versions of sarongs (generally tailored, with belt loops and pockets) emerged, for formal occasions, and also worn by police and for ceremonial uniforms for local military units and the police. Samoa, Fiji, and Tonga were the three Polynesian countries to have held on to the ie lavalava (and the formal version, the ie faitaga) the most (in Fiji, the formal version has a distinct serrated hem)

Grass skirts have a different story. For most of Polynesia, they were essentially introduced by the Melanesians, or sometimes even later, being influenced by Hawai'i and appropriating them that way. Fiji, being both Melanesian and Polynesian in culture, does have them. However, in Samoa, a version, made of leaves from the "ti" plant (and hence called a titi) existed, used for work in the fields, even after the lavalava was introduced.

And then there's the third garment, a fine mat of pandanus, in Samoa it's worn over a sarong on some occasions, in Tonga, it's essentially an equivalent to a necktie (and worn on all occasions when one would also wear a necktie)
Grok wrote:I just got home from a CP'R (cardio pulmonary resuscitation) class. One student was wearing a dress over slacks. The weather was chilly but dry. I've reached the conclusion that the skirt-over-trousers mode is here to stay, at least for winter weather.

At least skirts over slacks looks better than skirts over jeans.
I heard from someone that "skirt/dress over trousers" is something that comes in cycles. But also, some women do so if they need trousers for the weather, but take them off at home or something like that. Also, someone speculated that there may have been some inspiration from places like Pakistan, where the traditional outfit, for both genders, is a kind of tunic over trousers (the male version is the original "pajamas" for which the nightwear is named) But the look I've seen in some pictures of a guy wearing a skirt, with matching trousers or shorts very visible underneath....just don't like it.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

As a fashion statement I think skirts-over-trousers is ghastly. However, I now think it may be worthwhile as a response to cold weather, for purely practical reasons.
wsherman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by wsherman »

The sarong with belt loops and pockets sounds interesting. Does anyone have any experiance with it and perhaps know where one could be purchased?

Thanks!

Bill & Sir Brinkley the Exubrant!

P.S. I know I probably have the name of the garment wrong but couldn't remember its' proper one. Hope you'll forgive my laziness in not going back to double check.
"In a logical world men would ride sidesaddle." The Late Paul Harvey

I.D.I.C. "Infinite Diversity Infinite Combination" Vulcan philosophy from Star Trek TOS
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

wsherman wrote:The sarong with belt loops and pockets sounds interesting. Does anyone have any experiance with it and perhaps know where one could be purchased?

Thanks!
Ok, for the Samoan style, go to http://langis.co.nz/products/ie-faitaga-1 I'm a bit lazy to look, but I'm sure there's somewhere selling the Fijian variant (that is to say, with a serrated hemline) out there, the Fijian name is "Sulu"
Bill & Sir Brinkley the Exubrant!

P.S. I know I probably have the name of the garment wrong but couldn't remember its' proper one. Hope you'll forgive my laziness in not going back to double check.
Ok. In Samoa, the informal is 'ie lavalava, the formal is 'ie faitaga. In Fiji, both are called sulu, only the formal version has the serrated hemline (note: If doing an online search, make sure to add "Fiji" or "sarong", to avoid either a mention of the old political entity in Southeast Asia, or that guy from the original Star Trek). In Tonga, the formal is the Tupenu (and the "waist tie" that it goes with is called a ta'ovala), and the informal is the vala. In Tahiti, the informal version is called a pareu (mangled by the French as pareo), and in Hawai'i, either a kikepa or a lavalava (Samoan loanword), but both those places never developed a "formal" version thanks to the haole/palagi/white influence (don't know the Tahitian term), which drilled into the natives the idea that men's formal wear must be trousered.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Sulu's can be obtained from:
www.tanoasamoa.com.
Jan.