Grrrrrr

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Grrrrrr

Post by Sinned »

I was reading the Daily Snail ( Monday's edition ) and there was an article on page 48 by Liz Jones ( no comment on what I really think of her ) and she is talking about fashion as is her want. Then she made a comment that really irked me - "An oversized wool tuxedo jacket will do the job too - steal it from your husband." Now if this had been reversed and a man told to steal a jacket from his wife then what would have been the comments. So it's ok for a woman to wear a man's clothes but it's not ok for a man to wear woman's clothes. I know that this topic has been mentioned before as being illogical and not fair but I just had to air my frustrations.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Grrrrrr

Post by Sarongman »

I totally understand your frustration; the dichotomy is ridiculous in the extreme, yet nobody seems to see it! BTW, is the Daily Wail a product of that dreaded Murdoch? If so, that would explain a fair bit!
It will not always be summer: build barns---Hesiod
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Yes, it's a production of the "Murdoch stable", but it was one of the most "reactionary" newspapers in the U.K. before he was even thought of.
I'd waste no more time on it than that, let alone read the thing.
Women hijacking mens' clothing is nothing new and it's actually not wrong. What is, is, the attitude that it cannot be a two way street.
There are many reasons for this and they've been stated elsewhere in the cafe.
Things are changing but it will be a long and slow process. The attitudes and opinions of society, formed over hundreds of years, do not change overnight.
Personally, I won't change society but I do challenge it. All I can hope is that I make people think twice, if so, I've succeeded.
Steve.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Hi,

Sorry, but the Daily Mail is owned by the Daily Mail and General Trust and is controlled by Viscount Rothermere. I believe his grandfather wrote a piece in 1934 praising fascism. That gives you a gauge of the paper's general slant on life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail ... eral_Trust
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

No need to be sorry, I should check my facts before going off on a rant.
Steve.