Another article about men's skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Another article about men's skirts

Post by skirtyscot »

Very positive, though I don't agree with all of it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 78483.html
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Another article about men's skirts

Post by crfriend »

The overall tone is remarkably positive, although I categorically disagree with the notion that kilts are "gay" (insomuch as I also detest the co-option of the word "gay"). Kilts are about as masculine as one can get, which may be swaying the article's author's opinion.

This:
As RuPaul says, we are born naked; the rest is just drag. You want to look caring and cosmopolitan today? Go to Voyage. Profoundly cultured? Issey Miyake, or, if you seriously want to say "Big operator", the conflicting signals of a good suit and an unironed lumberjack shirt. Fashion is full of meaning, and the biggest meaning now is that we all know it, and it doesn't really mean anything.
sums it up perfectly, though.

What we swathe ourselves in ultimately amounts to pretty much nothing: what matters is what those around of us think of our presence, our personalities, and our contributions to society and, more specifically, the community around us. In that context, skirts on competent and conscientious guys seem to be pretty immaterial.

Even though it's frowned upon in modern "society", aim high, think big, and dare to attempt great things. Those in the neighbourhood will take notice, and likely in a positive way.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

The article is from fifteen years ago.
...and nobody bothered to post any comments below it.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

pleated wrote:The article is from fifteen years ago.
Well, there are two ways to look at this.

1. It's been fifteen years and the idea of skirts for men still hasn't taken off.

2. It's been fifteen years and the idea of skirts for men still hasn't died.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

To Caultron's comment above I'd prefer option number 2.

Time's a gettin' short....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

That it's fifteen years old is probably why no one's commented on it. I'd guess they have comments on articles auto-close after a specified time, which probably had already expired before the article was put online - or at least before that comment system was installed. That said, bringing that article to the fore can only be good, to my way of thinking.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
skirtilator
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtilator »

What we swathe ourselves in ultimately amounts to pretty much nothing:
Wouldn't it be nice to be a model and tell otherwise? At least in the realm of fashion designer.
what matters is what those around of us think of our presence
At least many people are so damn sharlow and cannot separate look from presence.
our personalities, and our contributions to society and, more specifically, the community around us
Why should it matter? Does it have an intrinsic value to worship ghosts or more specifically, a group of people? It is all about mutual benefit.
In that context, skirts on competent and conscientious guys seem to be pretty immaterial.
If he had the chance to be that guy in the first place and didn't think it was a privilege to be only judged by his competence instead of mainly by appearance. If competence is the only thing that matters, there shouldn't be a dresscode, except for a very specific reason, which is not, to make the employees look like a unit of a private army.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Caultron wrote:
pleated wrote:The article is from fifteen years ago.
Well, there are two ways to look at this.

1. It's been fifteen years and the idea of skirts for men still hasn't taken off.

2. It's been fifteen years and the idea of skirts for men still hasn't died.
I am opting for option 2 as well - similarly my glass is half full and not half empty. Look at the positives side, always.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Fifteen years ago?
Wow, I did not know skirts for men had been going so long.
Although I'd used kilts on and off most of my life, they became everyday wear for me only 13 years ago, and I was just enjoying wearing my kilt, certainly not feeling I was part of a fashion trend. It took a little while longer to get into non-Scottish mugs, after realizing that a few other men were beginning to wear non-conventional garb.

" ...obsession with mini-kilts about five years ago which swept Europe."
I was in Europe and have no recollection of such a fashion -- 20 years ago! It could not have had much media exposure, and I suppose I did not frequent the right clubs to find out about the more occult goings on.

Only a few days ago, someone posted a men's skirt article on facebook, by a journalist apparently confident that skirts were the thing of the future. I commented that it was four years old, but that men seemd to be just as timid no as they were then.

How slowly we are progressing.

Martin
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Caultron wrote: The article is from fifteen years ago.

Sadly I feel that true, skirts for men won't gain any traction with the general public.

But it won't stop me from enjoying my skirts I just don't expect to see very many others, men or women, wearing them.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I hadn't noticed the article was so old. :oops: Maybe you couldn't comment on articles back then.

But to all you doom-merchants, saying men's skirts haven't caught on, tell me this: did you wear them in public 15 years ago, and do you now? (BTW, I do realise that this is a completely unreliable way to find out if it is becoming more common.)
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If you think about women going the other way, it may well be that we are at a very early stage of change. In the meantime, I expect that only 'skirtonians' will be sufficiently motivated to stray from convention.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:?..I expect that only 'skirtonians' will be sufficiently motivated to stray from convention.
That's a tautology, yes? You have to be a skirtonian to wear skirts?

But fashion does occasionally move quickly and unexpectedly. Witness long baggy shorts, casual dress at work, and men's earrings, for example. Men's makeup is apparently all the rage in South Korea.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

What I mean is that Skirtonians are the ones who would be sufficiently motivated in the present. Perhaps someday skirts will be occasionally worn by other males; after becoming socially acceptable.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

These other men who would occasionally wear skiers after they became socially acceptable -- wouldn't they at that point be skirtinians? And if not, what do you mean by, "skirtonians?"

caultron