Montreal gazette - men wearing skirts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Montreal gazette - men wearing skirts

Post by skirtingtoday »

Just spotted this short piece in the Montreal Gazette in connection regarding discrimination in the workplace for men wearing skirts or dresses (unless they identify themselves as transexual)

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2013/0 ... pantyhose/

There is a link to a blog page - answers so far are positive

http://jillianpage.com/2013/09/11/men-w ... pantyhose/
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Montreal gazette - men wearing skirts

Post by STEVIE »

Hi ST
That has a definite resonance for me, oddly work is where I'm at my most "conservatively free".
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Stv,

That's all well and good but I wonder if there was a downturn in your company if they wouldn't use it as one of the factors in their conditions for redundancy. I was mad redundant from one company because, to quote them, ".... my footwear didn't conform to the company standards." I was just wearing a semi-hiking boot during the winter as I liked to go out for a walk in the lunchtime break and the office was right on the edge of town. Thus there was a lot of muddy lanes and fields. Didn's stop them making it one of the conditions for redundancy, there were others that mitigated against me. It was obvious that I was singled out. All the law says is that the conditions, once chosen, should be applied fairly to those being considered for redundancy. Not saying it will happen to you but anyone being in left field would be vulnerable.

D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Sinned,
I have no doubt that what you say is certainly possible, but, at the moment, I'm quite useful.
To quote from another thread, it's also a way for me to be "adventurous" in my older age.
In trousers I work, in a skirt, I relish work and that's to the bosses' advantage.
Steve.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Do you think you help them to reach some arbitrary "equality" target? And if so, what category have they put you in?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The answer is yes to the first part and no idea to the second, probably the loony one.
Oddly, on the rare occasions that I have worn trousers lately, I've had more comments. One girl actually said that I looked "strange"
In reality, I'll carry on wearing skirts for as long as I can. However, there may well be changes afoot that will curtail that.
Hopefully, not for a year or two yet though.
Steve.