The Swedes get it right

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
oldnick2

Re: The Swedes get it right

Post by oldnick2 »

The Independent has an article on this in a positive vein - http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/com ... 52520.html
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Just seen this update - the ban on shorts for the Swedish train drivers is now to be lifted.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2013/06/10/ ... t=hs&or=on

One driver has said "I'm not going to miss the skirt though..." :( so it looks like they will all revert to shorts-wearing. Hopefully some will stick with the skirts though.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

If management gave in to the drivers' requests so easily, it just goes to show how deeply ingrained is the idea that Men Do Not Wear Skirts. They undoubtedly came to the conclusion that if the drivers went ahead with their skirt-wearing, the company's image would be even worse than it would be with drivers in shorts.

Another flash in the pan, but the story certainly did the rounds.

Martin
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

It must be especially difficult for Continental Europeans...they don't even have a kilting tradition to fall back on.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Then again, nobody, Continental European or not, used to wear trousers.

Trousers apparently showed up about the same time as riding horses.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Caultron wrote:Then again, nobody, Continental European or not, used to wear trousers.

Trousers apparently showed up about the same time as riding horses.
A recent history programme on TV stated that the Barbarians invented trousers to wear while riding horses. Alway thought trouser-wearing was barbaric :mrgreen:

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

A few men decide to wear skirts to work in warm weather ... and it is international news! Personally I look forward to the time it doesn't even raise an eyebrow.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

@Caultron: I saw that link. It's wonderful. Only problem is in the video itself they make a casual reference to "wear women's clothing." But maybe I'm just nitpicking. Still, those black skirts they have are cool...in both senses of the word.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I know what you men but then again, I bet those skirts were markd with women's sizes rather than men's. But such are the fits and starts of progress...

caultron