Walmartians

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Walmartians

Post by Caultron »

Warning: Take a deep breath first...

http://beartales.me/2013/01/14/the-late ... lmartians/
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Walmartians

Post by couyalair »

... and people think WE are odd because we cover ourselves modestly with skirts?

Martin
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

In fact the most sensible looking one of this latest batch - was the bloke in a skirt!

But oh dear - oh dear - oh dear, to the rest of them!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

......and they cut such fine figures, the lot of 'em!

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Stoday & Kstone; you are far too kind.

I'm dreading the day when these monsters leave Walmart and try to share aeroplane seating with me.

Martin
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I suspect that they, like a surprising percentage of Americans have never been out of the US of A and don't even possess a passport. The likes of Ryanair and other 'cut price' airlines are now charging princely sums for luggage checked in and to date they seem to be ignoring the size & shape of the passengers themselves!

T.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I checked several sources and the consensus seems to be that only 36% of Americans have passports. Foreign travel is expensive, after all, the need to cross national borders doesn't come up nearly as often as it does in Europe. Like, if each of the 50 states were a separate country and required a passport to enter, a lot more people would have passports.

As to the airlines, they seem desperate to charge any kind of fee over and above the base airfare. This is because base airfares are extremely competitive, which tends to drive the profit out of them, while not many people shop for the best price on flight changes, checked baggage, on-board beverages, pillows, blankets, and so forth.

A few airlines have tried making overweight passengers buy two seats. However, this is tricky because it suggests discrimination, especially when the plane isn't full.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, I have visited the US of A. a few times and remember just how blxxdy big the place is.....about the size of OZ, actually. The need for passports is of course substantially reduced for most residents there, compared to a little island like Ireland, for instance, where perhaps everybody over the age of two months has a passport, so great is the urge to get off the pimple & out from under the near-perpetual dull grey here and get a good look at that big hot yellow ball that all you Texans, Arizonans & Californians enjoy!
That's one reason why Ryanair et Al make a tidy profit despite the Recession.

I've just booked a couple of my grandchildren on Flybe from the UK to visit us in the Summer. They charge £1 Sterling per Kilo for checked-in luggage each way. Maybe they ought to weigh the passengers and charge them accordingly. Better than two seats per head, which would be unworkable.

T.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Must wonder how many of these people were approached prior to having these photographs taken and published.
"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!"
Robert Burns.
Think on, YOU, could be next to appear on a website near you.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:Think on, YOU, could be next to appear on a website near you.
I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that I already have, given how much time I spend out and about and the wide field in which I roam. That is precisely why I pay attention to how I look if I'm not in a "blend-into-the-woodwork" frame of mind, and precisely the reason I prefer to use camera-shots to judge things than a mirror.

My eyes still burn from that web-page, Caultron, and I'm working on a suitable revenge. {rub, rub, rub...} Deep breath my backside!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:Must wonder how many of these people were approached prior to having these photographs taken and published...
Probably none, but I think it's OK if the face isn't visible, or if the person is in a public place and the photo isn't used for profit.

Like, if you're at a sporting event and you get your face on television, they don't have to pay you.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:...My eyes still burn from that web-page, Caultron, and I'm working on a suitable revenge. {rub, rub, rub...} Deep breath my backside!
(1) I'll be on the lookout.
(2) Watch out yourself. My smartphone has a camera, you know...

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:...Maybe they ought to weigh the passengers and charge them accordingly. Better than two seats per head, which would be unworkable...
I don't think charging a 200-pound male twice as much as a 100-pound female would go over very well.

Nor taking and recording the weight of each passenger. Women in particular are testy about that.

As to the £1/kg baggage charge, do they charge that for carry-on as well? If not, you aren't paying for the cargo tonnage; you're just paying a blatant add-on fee.

caultron
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Caultron wrote:As to the £1/kg baggage charge, do they charge that for carry-on as well? If not, you aren't paying for the cargo tonnage; you're just paying a blatant add-on fee.
One of the porters on Amtrak gave Sapphire and I some guff about our baggage when we went West a few weeks ago, which was interesting as we've never gotten grief before. The long and the short of it wound up being that one of the bags wound up spending the Western portion of the trip in the rack in the entry-way to the sleeping car on the westbound portion; everything was in our bedroom on the eastbound portion.

Sapphire and I have logged god-alone-knows how many rail miles and I'd a grand master at stashing stuff -- to the point of amazing a porter several years back when the two of us showed up with a seemingly-impossible load of stuff, and by the time he came 'round to look in on us once we were moving everything was lovingly stashed in every possible corner and crevice and there was nothing littering the floor. The look on his face was priceless.

Caultron -- as to the "revenge" comment, I meant that humourously; you'll probably receive a playful jab at some point, but nothing nasty. Nastiness is for little people.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:[....Caultron -- as to the "revenge" comment, I meant that humourously; you'll probably receive a playful jab at some point, but nothing nasty. Nastiness is for little people.
Humorously is how I took it. We're good.

caultron