Kilted cyclist

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilted cyclist

Post by janrok »

Martin,

I have browsed the net more than once to find those dameszadels but without succes.
We have a nearby cycleshop and today I'll drop in to ask about availability and price.

I agree that a pointed saddle does reduce the up-down movement of the legs a little. Not with a kilt but with my roomy jeans skirt I wear more frequently lately.

Jan.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

Rokzadels are still available for € 35 and are even in stock.
zadel rond.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dongya

Post by dongya »

hi folks,
i am riding my mountain bike daily with kilts, there is no problem whatsoever except that for aerodynamics i think biker's lycra pants are better. however, for going to the office or to town, it looks great.
a kilt is too short to get into the back wheel -- with a tall person on a 26inch-mtb.
if you need a saddle, read the info at SQLAB website first.
best wishes, dongya
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Dank je wel, hoor!

Thanks for the tips, Jan & Dongya . I'll count my centjes to see if I can afford to have a nice comfy saddle sent from abroad. I like the look of the double seat that moves with the leg movement, but I wonder of it would be compatible with any frame. Interesting to see that urologists recommend saddles that avoid having all your weight on the perineum.

Martin
dongya

Post by dongya »

hi martin
@sqlab saddles: i was convinced of those saddles after 50m of riding, and i am still. same experience for my son.
i am rarely enthusiastic, however, in this case: i do like these saddles.
best wishes, ralf
off_kilter_bike

Post by off_kilter_bike »

Hey there gentlemen,

I am the guy in the picture in the kilt and my dad is the tailor. I wear this longer kilt when I ride and on special occasions. It's really a walking kilt. A couple of weekends ago, I wore it on Friday to a wake, then on Saturday to a Wedding, then bike riding on Sunday. It is fine for easy rides and commuting. But for more intense biking, aka. mountain biking ( MTB ), we wear shorter kilts (so no getting stuck in the spokes or the bushes). Also, the longer kilt can get a bit warm on hot days. Yesterday, I completed a Sprint Triathlon in my kilt (not the swim part of course). It was functional and got hundreds of compliments on it, not to mention a number of fairly serious inquiries. ;) What a blast! There are 2 shorter biking kilts, a wool one with a buckle and lining, and a polyester one we created for my buddy who is a vegan. Feel free to join our Facebook page Off Kilter Bike.com or check out our webpage
http://www.offkilterbike.com

~Kurt Gumushel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Great that you've joined in the fray yourself, Kurt. Love your website and video. Great pic. of you 'on board ship' serving before the mast kilted. You cut a very fine figure, dare I say.
Two things: 1/ I wouldn't bother with the sporran while sailing (which I also indulge in) and 2/ on your website photos you have people in long lycra cycling shorts under their kilts, which in my personal view spoils the look and probably the feel of cycling in a kilt. They might as well not wear the kilt at all.

Tom K.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I have to agree with everything Tom K has just said, while heartily commending you, Kurt, for putting your customers into kilts.
I tried long lycra shorts under my kilt once when it was particularly cold, but it felt most odd, and no warmer than the kilt alone.
It is beginning to look to me that kilts are becoming popular everywhere -- except in Scotland!
Glad you have joined us.
Martin
Tassierob
Distinguished Member

Post by Tassierob »

Fantastic web site, well done.
If I lived closer I would definitely be up for a kilted ride :rock:
If you haven't worn a skirt you haven't found freedom!
off_kilter_bike

Post by off_kilter_bike »

Sorry I didn't reply fellows, I expected I would get an email notifying me of the comments. In any case, check out this article which appeared online yesterday:

http://www.buckettripper.com/cycling-in ... brunswick/

As for wearing shorts under your kilt, well, the short version of a long story is that if you are riding your bike for hours, you need the extra cushion of a shammy to keep your blood circulating to all the places it is supposed to be circulating. A proper fitting shammy only comes in spandex, and you might be ok with wearing spandex but everyone around you most likely feels differently.

The very short version is:

Ride hard! ... Ride kilted!