Kilted cyclist

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Kilted cyclist

Post by Kirbstone »

Spotted on Der Spiegel Fotostrechen, a German current affairs illustrated site online, this great picture. Oh would that I were this young again!
Kilted Kurt Gumushel in New Brunswick, Canada..jpg
T.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Kilted cyclist

Post by straightfairy »

That's a great pic. :D
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

You are just as young as I am, Kirbstone! If I can, you can too.

Rough translation of the article in "der Spiegel", German news magazine:

"A Canadian cyclist has clocked up many miles tours of the east coast and has discovered that the breezy kilt has advantages.

The kilt idea was originally intended only as a joke, but quickly found supporters, Kurt says: "Now there is an association of kilt-cyclists, with whom we regularly go on tour." Recently, we've seen joggers and marathon runners with a soft spot for the men's skirt. The 43-year-old did not have to search far for the kilts: "My Turkish father has specialized as a master tailor in kilts," he says."

Martin, also cycling in kilt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'm not a cyclist but I have "dabbled" in it.
I can see there could be advantages but would a kilt be any more comfortable than a good pair of shorts?
I would also have thought that any modicum of modesty would have to be disregarded.
That said, there is an association of nude cyclists in this country.
Steve.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

There is nothing special about cycling in skirt or kilt!
I do it every day, weather permitting. Cycling is part of the Dutch culture.

Jan.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

STEVIE wrote:... but would a kilt be any more comfortable than a good pair of shorts?
Neither more nor less comfortable, but if you have no shorts, you wear what you have.
... any modicum of modesty would have to be disregarded.
Wind pressure keeps the front down; I'm sure I have never shown anything I should not have -- even whan I swing my leg over the saddle mounting or dismounting.
there is an association of nude cyclists in this country.
Happy as I am to be nude on the beach, for example, I prefer to have some cloth between myself and the saddle -- or any other seat, for that matter.

Martin
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Martin
Thank you for the article translation. I just posted the pic., identified the bloke & location but didn't post the article. You're quite a linguist, with Spanish, French and German. I Must say also that your English is coming on a treat, too.

I envied the guy's age, as I remember well as a twenty four yr. old young blood I powered up every hill on my bike just for the sheer pleasure of it, as the rowing sorted my legs out, big time. That hasn't left me entirely, and where we're going next week....Turkey S. coast & Greek island hopping, we'll be doing some climbing on foot. I tend to get there first every time. Long may it last.

T.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

It’s things like this that help start trends. First hikers wear kilt because they see the benefits, then runners start wearing them, then companies start making them design for these purposes, now cycling in kilts. I see this as another trend starter promoting the very reason why men should wear skirted garment.....COMFORT. The more people do things like this the more our message get out there that men want to be comfortable.

On the side, I find it very interesting how woman first started wearing pants because it was easier to ride a bike, but us guys prefer skirts to riding a bike. Just another example how skirts are better suited for men than woman.
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

That bottom of that kilt is a bit close to the rear wheel and accident waiting to happen
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Accident cause"d by the kilt?
Most unlikely, I think.
In any case, judging from the man's website, he obviously rides very regularly and knows what he is doing.
I wear slightly longer mugs, and, with the saddle high, I have never had the skirts touch the wheels. I also have some of the pleats between myself and the saddle, which may help. The fellow in the pic seems to have the kilt round the seat rather than on it.

Martin
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

SkirtRevolution wrote:It’s things like this that help start trends. First hikers wear kilt because they see the benefits, then runners start wearing them, then companies start making them design for these purposes, now cycling in kilts. I see this as another trend starter promoting the very reason why men should wear skirted garment.....COMFORT. The more people do things like this the more our message get out there that men want to be comfortable.

On the side, I find it very interesting how woman first started wearing pants because it was easier to ride a bike, but us guys prefer skirts to riding a bike. Just another example how skirts are better suited for men than woman.
I think the women were wearing large and cumbersome skirts back when bicycles were starting to appear, cycling with one of those on must have been just about impossible, I have yet to see a picture of a woman riding a bike sidesaddle!!!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
straightfairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by straightfairy »

Big and Bashful wrote: I have yet to see a picture of a woman riding a bike sidesaddle!!!
I should imagine it makes pedalling quite difficult. :mrgreen:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

straightfairy wrote:
Big and Bashful wrote: I have yet to see a picture of a woman riding a bike sidesaddle!!!
I should imagine it makes pedalling quite difficult. :mrgreen:
I suppose some mechanical contrivance could be constructed to make it possible, but I'd be more worried about balance. There were three-wheel contraptions available that would have been possible to ride on even in very long skirts, but I imagine they weighed quite a bit more than the standard 2-wheeler and would have therefore required more effort to propel; 2-wheelers and bloomers eventually won for the gals.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

In Holland, I remember that some bikes ("women's bikes" I suppose) have rounded saddles -- rounded at the front rather than with a long point that goes between your legs. I wish I could get one like that here. Whereas the pointed saddle does not interfere with a kilt or skirt that has plenty of loose cloth, the round one would be better if you are wearing a straight or tight skirt which would be put out of shape with a pointed saddle.
Are they still being made, Jan?

Martin
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

FYI - -

The "kilted Cyclist" pic has been posted by 'Men-In-Skirts' on Facebook.
Many comments and 99% positive :!: The others were neutral.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)