Marie Stopes

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Marie Stopes

Post by Charlie »

This is relevant.

I've just finished reading a short biography about Barnes Wallis (British aeronatical engineer who worked on airships, the bouncing bomb and supersonic flight).
In the last chapter, it talks about Marie Stopes; Wallis' daughter married her son. She was a strong-minded woman who, when he was a child, dressed her son in a skirt. Apparently she didn't believe in the ugly and heating-in-the-wrong-place garments which most men are condemned to wear, and that her son's genitals should develop free of any such restrictions. For the same reason her son was also forbidden to ride a bicycle.
This was in the 1930s. Apart from the bike, what a forward-thinking woman.

Charlie

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Wstopes.htm
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Marie Stopes

Post by skirtingtoday »

Didn't see anything on the skirt-wearing on her son but looking at Wiki, she so objected to the engagement and marriage that she set out to "sabotage the union" and later cut her son out of her will so he got nothing from her except a copy of the greater OED and a few minor things.

She also sent a copy of her "Love Songs for Young Lovers" to Adolf Hitler... Which was incorrectly interpreted as supporting the man.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels