How about a documentry motion picture?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Dale

How about a documentry motion picture?

Post by Dale »

I am glad that I found this forum. If it had not been for a lady I know convincing me to wear a skirt last Halloween, I would never have known how comfortable they are. I fell of a cliff about 18 or 19 years ago (also on Halloween) and with the injuries I received I have found pants to be uncomfortable at best and painful at worst. As a result I did a search on the topic of "men in skirts". I was surprised to find that there are quite a few men that wear skirts, and there are even skirts (other than kilts) that are specifically made for men. I have gone from a pants wearer to a full time skirt wearer in about 30 days, to include openly in public (as of 29 Nov 2011). The subject of male fashion freedom and skirt wearing needs wider public distribution. I am new to this forum so if anything I write here offends anybody, please understand that no offense is intended and it is with the best and Nobelist of intentions that I proceed with this post. I have found this forum very helpful, and most likely would not have found the courage to start wearing skirts had I not found skirtcafe. In that respect I thank all of you. I am the most comfortable I have been in 18 years and still have clothes on.

I am working on a proposal for a documentary about male fashion freedom and the wearing of skirts by men. This absolutely not about transvestism, cross-dressing, or female impersonation. Rather it is about men having the same freedom that women do to chose their wardrobe as they feel they want to, and still be a man. If part of that wardrobe is a skirt, men should have the freedom to wear that garment if they chose to do so, without being thought of as gay, or a drag queen. There are sources of funding available to cover production costs. Production costs only, they will not fund equipment purchases. I have already spent a considerable chunk of change to purchase professional video production equipment that will allow me to make standard and high definition video. I also have experience in the field as I have worked in television broadcasting, both as an engineer and video editor. I guess the point I am trying to make here is I am not just some guy with a consumer grade camcorder trying to due a video for U-Tube. It is my intent to get the video aired on either the Documentary Channel, or PBS. I would prefer PBS because I would also then get paid for it (I would not from the Documentary Channel, just free air time), but the most important thing in my opinion is to get the message out to the population at large. PBS also presents a problem as I am a complete unknown at this time.

Well I can not do a documentary on this subject and only feature myself. I don't know how interested members of this forum would be to participate in such a documentary either (if at all). Although I would have to constrain the production to the United States, I also don't know how much travel would be involved yet. Travel and lodging expenses would be the major expenses in the production and the hardest to determine. I already have a good idea of the costs of consumables (lamps, recording media, temporary help on location, etc). Are any members of this forum interested in participating in such an undertaking? Keeping in mind that in the uncertain economic climate of the times funding is by no means certain. I hate to exclude overseas members, but the only way i could possible see the inclusion of those member is if they happen to visit this country at the right time. It would be helpful to have as much participation from across the country (or beyond) so that this subject is not perceived as a regional thing.

It is all well and good that as skirt wearers we discuss the issues among us, but it is also a little like preaching to the choir. If we want to broaden minds and gain a wider public acceptance of the issues, we need to be able to reach out to more of the population. To inform the general population that already has some preconceived notions about men in skirts. Education is the key to understanding and acceptance of the whole idea of men in skirts. Keep in mind that this motion picture will be made by a man in a skirt. We need to broaden some minds, and the only way will be to reach out. Without the willing participation of people like those of us in this forum there is no point for me to try to raise the funds to proceed. As I have said I am new to skirtcafe, but I am and will be a wearer of skirts forevermore.Tell me what you think.

Dale, in New Mexico, USA
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: How about a documentry motion picture?

Post by skirtingtoday »

There doesn't seem to be any replies to this section (unless directly to you by PM).

We do need something to promote real skirts and not just watch a fashion designers shock tactic, throwing a skirted outfit (that no-one will actually wear) at a man. Mind you, I have never seen any of the weird ladies fashions from the cat walk make it into the shops either, other than in a very very dilute form. The real issue is perhaps not making the public more aware (though any avenue to show them in general can only help) but getting the main stores to stock them. However, in this climate of cutbacks, they will be unlikely to start a "risky" venture and have a mountain of stock left on their shelves.

Some designers however last year did start producing a more wearable skirt and there needs to be more of that. H&M reportedly sold skirts (not wonderful in my opinion) but in a very very small report, not in the UK and only in very large outlets which tends to support the theory about having stock unsold.

I havew seen short reports - the BBC (in the UK) for instance has produced a couple and had little or no effect - perhaps more reports like them are required.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8272962.stm
(more about reporter with a skirt and "mantyhose")

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/co ... ture.shtml
(Reporter in skirt and heels + comments from the public)

For myself, I live in Scotland and will unfortunately not be anywhere near New Mexico so would not be able to participate but I would certainly consider it if I was. If pictures are OK, them I could send some to you.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I posted this in "Kilts in the Main Stream" where the talk was about a 30-60 second commercial :D

How does this scenerio sound :?:

Shot 1 - Man in a skirt walks by 2 women talking with each other as they sip their coffee at
a side-walk bistro.

Shot 2 - Close-up of the women. 1st woman stops talking, pauses, then states -
'Hey, that guy is wearing a skirt'.
2nd woman says - 'Yes ! He sure looks 'hot & sexy' in that skirt, doesn't he!'
1st woman - Droolingly looks at the man and says - 'He sure does! I'd like to see more
men dressed like that!'
2nd woman smiles and nods her head in agreement.

Shot 3 - Wide shot of the women, dreamingly looking at the man as he continues to walk by them.

End :!:

This should fill a 30 second spot with little or no problem.

What do you think :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Dale

Post by Dale »

Uncle Al; I posted a response to your suggestion in Kilts in the mainstream. You might check there. I spent part of my childhood in Scotland, living with my Grandfather. I do miss the country. I often feel more at home in the UK, than I do in my own country. I miss the place, not just Scotland but the entire island. I have visited many times but not since the mid 1980's. I am 60 now, and when I was living with my grandfather I was between 6 and 10 years old, so that was a while back.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

If you are looking for a series of short commercials, Utilikilts have done custumer produced "Mock-u-mercials" for a competition. (It says there are 26 that have been done!)

Here is the link for the 2008 contest:-

http://www.utilikilts.com/customer/cont ... l-contest/

Or the same ones on Youtube:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tkWbzSNJyE

I've not had a chance to look at all of them yet and don't know if any actually made it to the screen... but enjoy anyway...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Dale

Post by Dale »

Thank you for the data. I am running out of time for now, but I will investigate it tomorrow.
janrok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by janrok »

normal_Janrok_20_20_57.jpg
normal_Janrok_20_20_50.jpg
normal_002.jpg
Dale,
I am willing to coöperate with whatever documentary you want to make. I've been wearing skirts and fashionkilts for 38 years all over Europe so I am quite comfortable with publicity.
So just let me now what you expect me to do and I 'll try to do the best I can.
Some limiting facts:
I don't own a video- or photocamera ( I guess I am a little bit of a Neanderthal).
I live in the Netherlands, that's a lot of frequent flyer miles away from New Mexico.
Although I have managed reasonably well sofar my English is far from perfect.
Ill try to upload a few pics.....and succeeded.. :D
Jan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jack Williams »

Uncle Al wrote:I posted this in "Kilts in the Main Stream" where the talk was about a 30-60 second commercial :D

How does this scenerio sound :?:

Shot 1 - Man in a skirt walks by 2 women talking with each other as they sip their coffee at
a side-walk bistro.

Shot 2 - Close-up of the women. 1st woman stops talking, pauses, then states -
'Hey, that guy is wearing a skirt'.
2nd woman says - 'Yes ! He sure looks 'hot & sexy' in that skirt, doesn't he!'
1st woman - Droolingly looks at the man and says - 'He sure does! I'd like to see more
men dressed like that!'
2nd woman smiles and nods her head in agreement.

Shot 3 - Wide shot of the women, dreamingly looking at the man as he continues to walk by them.

End :!:

This should fill a 30 second spot with little or no problem.

What do you think :?:

Of caurse both women in final shot are wearing skin-tight black tights. If in Auckland anyway. Jack.
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
I think that would be the perfect punchline!
skirt24

Post by skirt24 »

I have a few pics of me in my skirts. I also can do video if possible. Not long videos due to the hand held type camera. If you want my reasons why I wears skirts I would be more than happen to tell ya so you can add it to your project.