A well reasoned argument

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

A well reasoned argument

Post by phathack »

As an Advocate in favor of men wearing skirts what so you say to Family, Friends and others who have questions about why you are wearing a skirt of like to wear skirts?

I would like this thread to become a series of well reasoned arguments in favor of the western world adopting the skit as mens wear.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A well reasoned argument

Post by Taj »

Not trying to sound flippant, but maybe the best argument is, "Tell me why not wear skirts. "
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
SkirtRevolution
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtRevolution »

Great post! I to be prepared with an educated and witty reply and it all depends of what situation I am in and how someone approaches the subject with me. But generally I will say something along the lines of.

"If women no longer have restrictions in the garments they can wear, WHY SHOULD US MEN. If women today can wear pants in a feminine way, then there is no reason why men cannot have a masculine option in skirts! Otherwise it’s just a double standard and sexist!"

After this if people want more of a conversation I am more than happy to give it. I like to appeal to people commonsense and try to show them the double standards. I will talk about history, culture and women’s right movements.

If some people choose not to listen and still disagree because their ignorant, hypocritical and sexist then I really can't help that person, they are in more trouble than know and need not worry about their opinion.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

I usually reply "Because they won't let me walk the streets naked."
This will elicit a laugh, and I can go on "There's plenty of room for everything in a skirt, and I don't want to look like all these women in trousers, do I."
So far, I have never been expected to go into any greater argument or explanations.

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

From personal experience, I've found that trying to keep a series of canned remarks ready at the back of one's mind is a bit counterproductive. For one, under stress one might pick the wrong one, and two, they sound, well, "rehearsed". I'm pretty good at "thinking on my feet" and so prefer to just answer questions candidly and honestly and in accordance to the situation.

If there are any "rules" to be had about it, one would be that one does not have to take abuse for one's opinion, and if rational conversation is not possible the best course of action is to terminate that conversation; one need not be disrespectful in doing so, but rather can point it in the direction of, "let's agree to disagree". However, in this author's experience, overt abuse is astonishingly rare.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!