REI outdoors retailer selling kilts

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: REI outdoors retailer selling kilts

Post by crfriend »

Since1982 wrote:
so if you could fit this size I could do you a damn good deal on it. Let me know your thoughts.
I guess those comments mean they are closing the line out completely. :blue:
This points up the perils of trying to market what, at this point in time, amounts to a niche product by a mainstream outlet. No matter how different we wish the landscape was, the fact remains that most guys are terrified that their manliness will shrivel up and fall off if they shove both legs down one pipe, and that severely limits the marketability potential for such garments.

I am not saying that a market doesn't exist, what I'm saying is that a sufficiently large market to provide profitability for a large mainstream business does not currently exist. Niche companies exist -- and are due applause and patronship -- but the time is not yet ripe for the mainstream to adopt the notion of skirts for men. Witness also H&M's backing off on their proposed skirt; had that one actually flown, I'd have ventured into Boston simply to buy one. Oh, well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I have an idea for any apparel companies considering skirts for men lines. Try making ONE garment and pushing it in India where nearly all men wear skirts that are usually just a piece of cloth with no place to put anything. Possibly a cargo style skirt might take on in a place like that, whaddaya thiMk?
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kris
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kris »

Since1982 wrote:
so if you could fit this size I could do you a damn good deal on it. Let me know your thoughts.
Actually, no. I think it just means that the UK distributor under discussion (Bradshaw Taylor) didn't sell any, so they aren't stocking them. ("Them" being the earlier Mountain Hardware Hiking Kilt.)

Mountain Hardware has taken another shot at the market with the new version, the El Kommando Kilt. We in the US can order them from REI or other retailers. In the UK one could request Bradshaw Taylor to get a kilt for them in their next order from Mountain Hardware.

They will only stay in production if they sell.

Kris
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Since1982 wrote:
As I understand it, based on the conversations I had with Bradshaw-Taylor, the original hiking kilt has been dropped from the Mountain Hardware line and replaced with the El Kommando.

Bradshaw-Taylor had no plans to bring the El Kommando into the UK, since they had not managed to move any of the previous line, but they were perfectly prepared (and indeed went out of their way in their efforts) to bring in a kilt if they had a confirmed order for one. They offered to add it to one of their regular shipments so that the delivery charges would only be the UK charge with the trans Atlantic leg handled in their margin as for any other product sold through their webshop. Sadly, because the kilt had been discontinued, they were unable to get hold of one in my size.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce