Men's skirt day = 15th May

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Men's skirt day = 15th May

Post by Mugs-n-such »

I like being original
Good for you Skip. BTW, I'd like to hear from you again...
Mugs-n-such
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mugs-n-such »

Skip said:
That was over a year ago, I never was one for copying other people's ideas. I like being original.
Good for you...by the way, I miss your e-mails! I've been pretty busy at chess.com but I just wondered what happened?
wichor

Post by wichor »

we will be having a meeting in the netherlands/belgium on the 15th of may. maybe there will be as much skirtwearers as there were last year when 10 men showed up in various type of skirts.
poszest16

Post by poszest16 »

I would like or join a lot more skirt related stuff on Facebook if it was not for all the people I would have to explain my hobby too. Facebook needs a undercover mode where you could like or join stuff and only let curtain people know so.
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

poszest16 wrote:I would like or join a lot more skirt related stuff on Facebook if it was not for all the people I would have to explain my hobby too.
Or you could just put your explanation on Facebook... Problem solved :D

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

poszest16 wrote:I would like or join a lot more skirt related stuff on Facebook.... Facebook needs a undercover mode where you could like or join stuff and only let curtain people know so.
Why?
Is there something shameful about not wanting to wear trousers?

Martin
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

One thing I like about facebook is that serious people use their own names. I ignore anyone that uses nicknames, and, although I have followed the forum tradition of using pseudos here for fun (you need to know French to get it), I sign my name, and am quite happy to add my family name, Sheffield, if anyone is interested.
There's a lot of rubbish on fb, but some intersting sites with worthwhile discussion, too. It's a matter of finding the good bits and unfriending the rest.
There are skirt/kilt groups there, but nothing very active.
Martin
poszest16

Post by poszest16 »

No, there is nothing shameful at all for me declaring my freedom from plain old ugly very uncomfortable PANTS and I already have told about half of the people I know about it. Some of the people that I would have to deeply explain to are people like my uncle who is an old fashion dutch reform Christian who just until a few years ago made the women in his family wear skirts and dresses all the time. I personally having a strong non-denomination Christian faith of my own, and I believe its not exactly right to cause others to possibly sin (bitterness for example) by doing something that would offend them. Not that wearing pink, knee socks with shorts or having blue hair at one time did much good but I know my parents would be very embarrassed if I revealed my passion to the world on FB. Has anyone else had to deal with their parents stating how embarrassed they would be if you ran into someone in public they know?

Joel Greene
P.S. I am not afraid of using my real name either. Besides if someone I know finds this post of Google what are the chances they would think its me and not the Joel Greene who collects boots??? (That guy always made me embarrassed to be named Joel, Weird Story.)
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Saw this older thread - May 15th is coming round again.

In 2010, that day was a Saturday when I joined a charity walk at Scone Palace. A 10 mile walk for Breast cancer called a "Pink Ribbon" walk as all participants had to wear a pink T-shirt. I decided to slip on my denim mini-skirt for the day. It wasn't the first time out in a skirt but at the time it was certainly the longest and had the most people round me. A photographer did snap me (even asked my permission!) but I never saw the photo published.

Did the same walk last year (even though it was the 14th) and again was snapped - including one at the finishing line which was published on their website (way-hay!) - still there if you know where to look.

Not sure what to do this Tuesday but will be travelling north this Wednesday so will have a skirted evening at a local hostelry.
Last edited by skirtingtoday on Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
rick401r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rick401r »

skirtingtoday wrote:Saw this older thread - May 15th is coming round again.

In 2010, that day was a Saturday when I joined a charity walk at Scone Palace. A 10 mile walk for Breast cancer called a "Pink Ribbon" walk as all participants had to wear a pink T-shirt. I decided to slip on my denim mini-skirt for the day. It wasn't the first time out in a skirt but at the time it was certainly the longest and had the most people round me. A photographer did snap me (even asked my permission!) but I never saw the photo published.

Did the same walk last year (even though it was the 14") and again was snapped - including one at the finishing line which was published on their website (way-hay!) - still there if you know where to look.

Not sure what to do this Tuesday but will be travelling north this Wednesday so will have a skirted evening at a local hostelry.
I did a similar walk last fall in Dayton, Ohio. I was wearing a pink shirt that said "Real Men Wear Pink" and my black Utilikilt. A couple of other walkers took some photos. One woman said she was impressed that a man was wearing pink and a kilt.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

I don't see why men "can't" wear pink.

After all in the UK in the early part of the 20th Century, boys wore pink and girls wore pale blue. How things have changed these days.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtoday wrote:I don't see why men "can't" wear pink.
Balderdash! Men can wear pink if they so please, and always have been able to do so. If they choose not to, that's their business, but it's their choice not society's.

I have a pink shirt that gets loads of mileage (it's actually getting to the point where I need a new one) and Maverick has a screaming pink kilt that's pictured elsewhere on the forum. Pink ties and pocket squares (such a quaint notion; bears this possibility in mind if I ever need to wear a proper jacket again) abound.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

crfriend wrote:
skirtingtoday wrote:I don't see why men "can't" wear pink.
Balderdash! Men can wear pink if they so please, and always have been able to do so. If they choose not to, that's their business, but it's their choice not society's.

I have a pink shirt that gets loads of mileage (it's actually getting to the point where I need a new one) and Maverick has a screaming pink kilt that's pictured elsewhere on the forum. Pink ties and pocket squares (such a quaint notion; bears this possibility in mind if I ever need to wear a proper jacket again) abound.
Hmmmm... Why Balderdash? I thought I was in agreement with the statement posted above? :?: Here in the UK a double negative statement means a positive one, or is it different in the States?

Is it similar to that of a double positive statement here that is actually negative as used in the phrase " Aye, Right! "
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtoday wrote:Hmmmm... Why Balderdash? I thought I was in agreement with the statement posted above? :?:
I grabbed that one a little bit out of context and didn't spy the quotes quickly enough -- which makes the difference. My apologies for the "balderdash" comment.
Here in the UK a double negative statement means a positive one, or is it different in the States?
A spoken (or written) double-negative here in the US is usually looked upon as a bit of a non-sequitur and, unless it was done with deliberate and explicit intent usually gets frowned upon or ignored. The use of same is, sadly, also a common idiom here, and usually speaks more to the user's level of education than anything else (e.g. "I ain't got nothing!" actually stated to mean, 'I have nothing" with the extra bits merely interjected for "effect").
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pleated
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pleated »

rick401r wrote: I did a similar walk last fall in Dayton, Ohio. I was wearing a pink shirt that said "Real Men Wear Pink" and my black Utilikilt. A couple of other walkers took some photos. One woman said she was impressed that a man was wearing pink and a kilt.
The quote "Real Men Wear Pink" annoys me. Both the terms "real men" and "Real Men Wear Pink" help to reinforce narrow gender stereotypes. People who use the term "Real Men Wear Pink" are just showing how much they have bought into those stereotypes and they are assuming that their potential male audience has also bought into it. I find that insulting.

I had and wore a couple of pink shirts sometime in the eighties. I don't think anyone regarded that as in any way unusual at that time, it was just another button-up shirt of the style any man would wear to the office. These days I generally wear white, lemon or light green, but since the issue has now been raised here I must remember to get a couple more pink shirts next time I need a shirt.