Tutus for men

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Tutus for men

Post by Ralph »

Looks like my neighbours to the north are having some fun with men in tutus. The headline alone made me laugh out loud!

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... ors-remark
Ralph!
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Tutus for men

Post by trainspotter48 »

A few, well probably more than a few, years ago, I believe a group called Spandau Ballet consisted of male members who would wear tutus for at least part of their performances.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

trainspotter48 wrote:A few, well probably more than a few, years ago, I believe a group called Spandau Ballet consisted of male members who would wear tutus for at least part of their performances.
Spandau Ballet are an English pop/rock group from the 1970s and still going today I think. As far as I know they never wore tutus.

However, there are a couple of professional all-male ballet troupes who do wear tutus - perhaps you are thinking of those?

Les Ballets Trockadero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ks60lS8jWg

Les Ballets Grandiva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaDJQui1a2Y
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Stevie D wrote: Les Ballets Trockadero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ks60lS8jWg
Trockadero are hilarious! I love watching their videos.
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Whilst I am not a real fan of ballet I can appreciate the skill in the art and like the touch of comedy in their act. Women have a natural advantage in keeping the ballet dresses up as they have two appendages on their chest that stop the top slipping down. I enjoy the way that the men employ to stop this happening.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

The "Trocks" are hilarious. For awhile I took a ballet classes to improve my balance and kinesthetic sense. In the first class I took, attending a ballet and reporting on it was a requirement. I chose Les Ballets des Trockaderos.

I got an A on my paper.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
whorton

Post by whorton »

"Wyoming Democrats Chairman Joe M. Barbuto said Enzi's comment "was ugly and indicative of a kind of backwards thinking that has no place in today's society."

It amazes me that someone puts remarks like this down to "backward thinking." I think we all know if someone (male) was to wonder into a biker or country flavor bar, where the beer flows freely, It would almost be a guarentee for a scene at the least.

The statement was realistic. Even if Tutu's are cute and I would love to wear one in public, at my age and with my figure, the fashion police would enforce a life sentence with no hope of parole.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I would like to know more about his guy that "goes to a bar wearing a tutu" Does he actually wear a tutu? Or was that part of the description hyperbole?
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

partlyscot wrote:I would like to know more about his guy that "goes to a bar wearing a tutu" Does he actually wear a tutu? Or was that part of the description hyperbole?
He's probably referring to this guy:
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-wyo ... story.html

In interviews after the Enzi comment, Goodwin says he doesn't own any tutus, but some crinolines that might be mistaken for a tutu.
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote:http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-wyo ... story.html

In interviews after the Enzi comment, Goodwin says he doesn't own any tutus, but some crinolines that might be mistaken for a tutu.
The addendum to the article notes that Goodwin has decided to ditch Wyoming for the Portland, OR area. It may be tragic, but I think it's a wise move. From the sounds of it, Wyoming handily lives up to the moniker of "the Mississippi of the west".
... a large pink industrial tool rack... "We never had those when I was an aircraft mechanic."
For the win.

Overt machismo is as corrosive an influence as radical feminism -- each so far removed from the centreline that they meet on the other side. Truly a marriage made in Hell.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Tor
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Tor »

Modern day feminizm in particular. Which, by all reasonable accounts I've heard and seen, has gone to the point where they are pushing the pendulum of equality steeply uphill at this point. I fear they won't much like the return journey, to the point of it getting ugly. Pair that with the ever-shrinking box of "masculinity", to the point of absurdity, and things shape up to get ugly.
human@world# ask_question --recursive "By what legitimate authority?"
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Not wanting to start another topic that would have been a duplicate of an older one, I input "goodwin" in the skirtcafe search box and came up to this thread. I had just completed reading a somewhat older (2013) article located here..

After some further reading on Mr. Goodwin, I think it's safe to say that this man must be the father of all M.I.S. in the modern era. Though he may differ from most of us on terminology and labels, (he considers himself a crossdresser), he is probably more like us than typical "woman impersonating" crossdressers are.

As I read the article above, I am blown away by how long this man has been wearing "women's" clothes, and props to him for doing so in what has been regarded as one of the most macho states in the union. But to begin "dressing" in 1972 would have been a very brave practice even in the most accepting areas of the nation. Suffice it to say, if the current year were 1972 I seriously doubt I would be able to get away with how I dress in this area. Though 99% of people don't bother me, on almost every outing, I catch the eye of at least one oaf that would probably love to slit my throat in a back alley if he thought he could get away with it.

Watch this video to meet Mr. Goodman.

I'll say, his style makes mine look "manly" by comparison, he is really into lacey numbers and puffy blouses more so that I am, and even myself, being the flamboyant "male skirt wearer" that I am, couldn't help by chuckle a little under my breath as he selected a wrench at the local hardware store in this pink and yellow getup. I admit to feeling just a bit guilty as I did so. Still yet, I'd love to meet this man someday, a true pioneer of freedom from traditional male gender roles, and though he sets the femme bar pretty high, I'd say somewhat of a role model for people like myself.

My chuckle followed by almost choking up reading about this struggles with life, "friends", unsupportive family, work problems, etc. I read as he stated he'd look in the mirror every day and tearfully utter "you are a good person". Though I may not have used those exact words, many-a-days I have spent in such a funk, with my own problems at work, shunning by family and former friends, and other various dramas, I must confess I too often struggle to find a reason to press on. Sometimes I feel the only reason I don't is because I'm too damned ornery to give society what they want (a world without Moon)... My wife and daughter do support me, but that's about as far as it goes. It hurts to have to be someone else whenever I go to a family function, it hurts to have to wear "the uniform" in my own house when mom comes over to avoid the drama. I recently updated all of my photo collages on the wall with some more recent ones of us (every one of me was one of me wearing a skirt or dress), and I wondered how that would go over when/if family ever come to visit, will I have to take the pictures off the wall? The thought of it depresses me. The real salt in this open wound is that the women in my family continue to wear whatever the hell they want! It's not easy, it's quite bothersome. His story about work struck a chord with me. If only I had a good union to fall back on, rather than my companies version of "don't ask, don't tell".

But I can relate to this guy. He speaks a language I understand. It's nice to know people like that exist. The knowledge of that gets me through the bad days. I'd like to meet him someday. Maybe he'll google his name (Larry Goodman) and find this post.

I don't try to be so pessimistic about everything, but it seems I always find myself surrounded by people who constantly aim to bring me down. Sometimes, I find myself forcing myself to keep my head low and in the dumps because I figure, "why bother being in a good mood? Someone always tears it down anyway..."

I'm scheduled for my vacation in September, perhaps a little road trip would be good for the soul... Unfortunately a trip to Portland to meet Mr. Goodman might be a little out of reach and budget, but maybe some other time.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

After reading the articles I feel so good to be living in South Carolina in the heart of the Bible Belt where I can walk the streets and shop the stores in my skirts and tops from the other side of the aisle and not be subjected to what Mr Goodwin was. I have traveled to other states skirted. I have been in many airports, traveled to Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee with out any problems. Oh sure some ugly looks but very few that I noticed.

I too would like to meet the gentleman and shake his hand.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote:After reading the articles I feel so good to be living in South Carolina in the heart of the Bible Belt
That is interesting, and upon my own observation I find that areas that lean Christian, do tend to be more friendly, even if they don't necessarily agree with the mode of dress. After all, I would be hard pressed to find a "true Christian" that took such an issue with my choice in clothing as to openly harass me, as many members on this site who are Christian have pointed out, violence is not their way. It's the unruly redneck type you have to watch.

Regarding Mr. Goodman's reactions, keep in mind that his experience in this goes back over 40 years. I'd say his worst moments were in the 70's, 80's, and perhaps 90's. I understand the 70's was a pretty rough decade for anyone with a hint of an eccentric personality. I'd wager that in the present day, our friend Mr. Goodman probably gets reactions similar to what we all have. The occasional snare, giggle, etc, but nothing too extreme. But then again, his style is not really what I would call "femme", but a bit on the stereotypical "sissy" side. (the "sissy" style you'll notice is almost meant not so much to imitate grown women, but rather to dress as though you're a infant.) Whereas most members here (who wear the "women's" outfits), myself included, tend to favor "feminine" outfits that may be more like something a fully grown woman might wear.

If he does have considerable problems, I'd venture a good wager that his problems may lessen if he were to wear a more "mature" skirt or dress.

Did you notice in the video how his employer (the college) requested he not wear skirts to work, but let him wear pink ladies pants and the bright yellow puffy blouse? I thought this was somewhat odd. A properly executed skirted outfit similar to what Carl or Jeff might wear would seem more appropriate in such a setting over the outfit he was wearing in the video. It's like the college said, "we don't care how feminine you look from the waist up, but by God, you better be wearing something with two tubes instead on one"...

Curious, very curious...

Oh well, good on him. Though his exact style is not one to my personal taste, I do admire his courage, and he'll fit right in up there in Dave (PDX) country.... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Regarding Mr. Goodman's reactions, keep in mind that his experience in this goes back over 40 years. I'd say his worst moments were in the 70's, 80's, and perhaps 90's. I understand the 70's was a pretty rough decade for anyone with a hint of an eccentric personality.
That depends on where in the '70s one speaks of. The early '70s were quite tolerant of eccentricity mainly because of their temporal closeness to the '60s. The '80s were a blxxdy awful time and that was mainly down to the hardening of things with the rise of neoconservatism. Once in a while you'd get a renegade in the '80s (for instance the guy I saw on Boston's metro system), but they were rare. The '90s followed in a similar vein. Things started to soften up a bit in the '00s ("the Naughties") mainly because everybody was already getting scared because of the increasingly dire economic circumstances, and by the time that the '10s rolled around everybody was so concerned with keeping their heads above water nobody had the time to worry about what some random bloke might be wearing. But the early '70s were pretty free-wheeling -- really the last desperate gasp of experimentation in men's fashion: it's been a nadir-seeking rocket-ride since then.
Did you notice in the video how his employer (the college) requested he not wear skirts to work, but let him wear pink ladies pants and the bright yellow puffy blouse?
This still goes on. When the brass from the owning company show up locally I'm expected to show up in male drab, and it's also expected when I'm to be acting as an ambassador of the Company (which I "get" and agree with). On normal days, however, it's skirts vastly more commonly than tr*users. I don't know how many of the required Federal tick-boxes my little Company gets to fill in for "equality" and the like, but they can game that for Company gain even if I don't play that card personally.
I thought this was somewhat odd. A properly executed skirted outfit similar to what Carl or Jeff might wear would seem more appropriate in such a setting over the outfit he was wearing in the video. It's like the college said, "we don't care how feminine you look from the waist up, but by God, you better be wearing something with two tubes instead on one"...
Some of this may be down to the individual's personal style. I've not seen the clips involved, but recall just how hard I tend to work at "making things believable", and I know that JeffB and ChrisM (who also wears skirts at work) do as well. If the chap prefers rather outlandish stuff, that'll reflect back at him.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!