Picture Attachments

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Picture Attachments

Post by Bob »

With phpBB, we can now upload pictures directly into posts. I think this will be simpler than the previous separate gallery (which never worked). Just add an attachment when you post, it's pretty simple.

Some caveats: attachments should not be more than 256Kb. You are responsible for resizing your photo properly BEFORE you upload; any of a number of photo management tools (such as iPhoto) can do this. Please try not to upload photos that are too big in filesize or screen size.

I've included an example below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jack Williams
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Picture Attachments

Post by Jack Williams »

Wow! I'm the first one to reply after all this time! That photo is rather small. I have noticed that people install ones that one has to scroll to see, which i think too big. I use 600x800 pixels, which come out about postcard on my Compaq laptop, which is perfect for upright ones, but i am looking to get horizontal ones to span the space sideways, which would take up no more vertical space but would make best use of the space. Jack.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Picture Attachments

Post by crfriend »

I use 600x800 pixels, which come out about postcard on my Compaq laptop, which is perfect for upright ones, but i am looking to get horizontal ones to span the space sideways, which would take up no more vertical space but would make best use of the space. Jack.
The pitfall here is that you (as poster) cannot know the configuration of the hardware or browser in use by the reader. 800x600 is a reasonably common size for a lot of older laptop computers that are still in use by their owners, and if the size of an uploaded image is set to 800x600 then it'll require scrolling around to look at it. I try to limit the horizontal size of my imagery to 600 pixels to avoid the use of horizontal scrolling on many computers' displays.

Note that just because a particular piece of hardware may support a huge pixel-count, that does not mean that the user will have it configured to actually use all those pixels. Vision-impaired folks typically configure for small pixel-counts to enlarge objects on the screen so they can see them, and this has the effect of also magnifying everything else, including images (and instantiating scroll-bars to handle said images).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!