One More Time...

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

One More Time...

Post by crfriend »

Uncle Al has been whinging at me for the past few days that our version of phpBB is out of date -- again. Having tired of listening to it (Hi Al! :D ) I've begun the process of prototyping the upgrade process from 3.2.9 to 3.3.1 which is the latest. At the moment (and after a fight), 3.2.9 is running in my lab at home nicely and I'll upgrade that to 3.3.1, take notes, weaponise the process, and then deploy it here. More to come as the Day of Reckoning approaches.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Uncle Al

Re: One More Time...

Post by Uncle Al »

crfriend wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:01 pm Uncle Al has been whinging at me for the past few days that our version of phpBB is out of date -- again. Having tired of listening to it (Hi Al! :D ) <snip>
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:rofl: :rofl:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

We will need fair and complete warning before hand....
Send detailed instructions of the pending doom so we who are at the mercy of computer gremlins will have sufficient ideas on how to fix the problems that will surely follow such fool hardy stunts as upgrading!!

:rofl: :rofl: :hide: :woops:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:05 amSend detailed instructions of the pending doom so we who are at the mercy of computer gremlins will have sufficient ideas on how to fix the problems that will surely follow such fool hardy stunts as upgrading!!
As a sysadmin, I am a subscriber to the obsolete notion of "utility-grade computing" which means that it is (hopefully) as bullet-proof as electrical or water service. The only time you should notice anything amiss is when it's broken -- which should, ideally, be never.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Even if it does continue to eat my homework ...
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Your dog eats the homework. And that's a lame excuse.

Seriously, there are times when I just want to hang up my hat, say, "Fsck it!", and walk away. This is one of those times. But then again I take solace in knowing that I cannot please everybody all the time, and that my time is better spent trying to please the reasonable because it is impossible to please the unreasonable.

You have been given solutions to your "issues" and you have chosen to ignore or rubbish them. Therefore, I am going to classify the "injury" as self-inflicted and call it a day.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well said, Carl. :)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Very well said Carl.
Help was given and ignored so as you say
Fsck it!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

phpBB 3.2.10 is coming soon...

Post by crfriend »

... like tomorrow depending on when my body decides to wake up in the morning.

3.3.2 is going to be a heavy-lift, and since 3.2.10 seems to fix some of the things that have been vexing the reasonable I'm going to kick the can down the road to buy time. However, 3.2.10 is going to be the end of the road for 3.2.

I've successfully prototyped 3.2.10 at home, so I'll likely update the real forum sometime in the early afternoon UTC -- again depending on when I wake up.

There should be no user-facing issues and all the currently-available styles should continue to work properly.
crfriend
Master Barista

The deed is done

Post by crfriend »

"By my hand, and for the good of the State, the bearer has done what has been done."

The upgrade to 3.2.10 is complete; elapsed time about 30 seconds. If problems [0] arise, please let me know.

[0] Real problems, that is, not timeouts unless you're getting disconnected randomly and quickly.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Active Topics button

Post by shadowfax »

Have other folks lost the "Active Topics" quick link button, near the top of every page, too? :(

I'm using your silver theme, Carl BTW.

Active Topics is still available from the "Quick links" pull-down menu. :wink:
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Yes, now you say it I see they're disappeared. But I'm not using them so no real problem for me.
And I also noticed a bug with icon of new messages, as you can see here: https://snipboard.io/7ILR1V.jpg but also this is not a big deal, I can continue to use the forum as usual ;)
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Spirou003 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:56 am Yes, now you say it I see they're disappeared. But I'm not using them so no real problem for me.
And I also noticed a bug with icon of new messages, as you can see here: https://snipboard.io/7ILR1V.jpg but also this is not a big deal, I can continue to use the forum as usual ;)
Thanks Spirou003. :) I'm sort of glad that I'm not the only one with a missing Active Topics quicklink button.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

The upgrade seems to have cured a minor irritation: the link to a new post would often land a few posts away from the actual new one, now it lands spot-on.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Quick links drop down still works for me on the latest firefox browser.
active topics.JPG
Thanks Carl, I thought we might have got moose turd pie instead ........ after some comments earlier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia