Another software update in the wings....

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Another software update in the wings....

Post by crfriend »

It was bound to happen sooner or later, and the shoe just dropped today -- an update to phpBB from v3.0.9 to v3.0.10 is now available along with the usual admonition to update now or at least as soon as possible. This looks like a maintenance/bug-fix release which should improve robustness; I do not forsee any Earth-shattering changes to the main user-interfaces.

As per usual, I'm going to try to verify the thing in my containment lab at home, and if that goes as expected I'll announce a date when I'll (try to) get the deed done here for real.

Welcome to twenty-twelve. :toast:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
crfriend
Master Barista

An Update on the Update

Post by crfriend »

I just finished applying the patch that took pbpBB 3.0.9 to 3.0.10 in my containment lab at home and it works nicely. In fact, it went in without a hitch!

Hence, I am setting a tentative date/time of 2012-01-14 12:30 UTC (or thereabouts) to do the update here. I am going to allocate a ten to fifteen minute outage for the process, but that's more for time to troubleshoot things if they go south unexpectedly; the actual time should be under 5 minutes.

You have been warned. :twisted:
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Another software update in the wings....

Post by crfriend »

It happened two months and small change late, but I applied phpBB 3.0.10 yesterday.

If anybody notices anything out of the ordinary, please speak up.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

When I joined I found that I couldn't put an avatar up, so assumed this was normal. For your part someone did mention this to you some while ago & it was resolved & my avatar is now there. :D
This is the first place I went when you mentioned speaking up & yes this ability has gone again.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

purecotton wrote:When I joined I found that I couldn't put an avatar up, so assumed this was normal. For your part someone did mention this to you some while ago & it was resolved & my avatar is now there. :D
This is the first place I went when you mentioned speaking up & yes this ability has gone again.
Give it another go, please. Following the break-in of a couple of years ago I got into the habit of locking stuff down really tight, and sometimes that causes problems.
crfriend
Master Barista

Here we go again

Post by crfriend »

The phpBB group recently released version 3.0.11 which fixes a laundry-list of bugs and I've prototyped the upgrade in my containment lab at home with good success. So, either later today or perhaps tomorrow I am going to apply the change here. Downtime, if any, should be well under five minutes.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Here we go again

Post by crfriend »

crfriend wrote:Downtime, if any, should be well under five minutes.
The deed is done; we are now running the latest version of the phpBB software. Downtime was on the order of 15 seconds for the database and file updates.
couyalair
Member Extraordinaire

Post by couyalair »

Thank you, Carl.

Martin