Software update coming

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

Software update coming

Post by crfriend »

It's about that time. The version of phpBB that drive SkirtCafe is getting a wee bit long in the tooth, and many fixes (about 50 pages of them) have been made to the version we're currently running (3.0.0) -- some of which are security-related and some of which may help out with the recent influx of spammers we've seen.

So, tentatively this coming Sunday morning (2010-08-15) sometime likely around 09:00 (Eastern Daylight Time) I'll be performing an upgrade to phpBB 3.0.7-PL1. During the time this is happening, be board will be down. Hopefully this will be a reasonably quick procedure -- unlike the last time where I had to fight with it for a couple of hours -- and non-invasive; however, I feel the need to remind folks that Murphy loves all things computerish and this may turn into an exercise in masochism for your humble admin.

So, if sometime on Sunday you get errors or denied access, that's why.

I'll follow up here with the results when I'm done.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JRMILLER
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Software update coming

Post by JRMILLER »

Carl,
I notice there are no ads on this site, hence, I assume someone is paying for hosting, who would that be? Bob? You? How can we chip in?
-John

You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself (Rick Nelson "Garden Party")
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

JRMILLER wrote:I notice there are no ads on this site, hence, I assume someone is paying for hosting, who would that be?
That'd be Bob. I'm just a lackey. :geek:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Post by Since1982 »

I swear I think you're the tallest lackey I've ever seen though... :geek: The :geek: is an excellent lackey picture, I must say! :geek:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
crfriend
Master Barista

Grrrr....

Post by crfriend »

crfriend wrote:Hopefully this will be a reasonably quick procedure -- unlike the last time where I had to fight with it for a couple of hours -- and non-invasive; however, I feel the need to remind folks that Murphy loves all things computerish and this may turn into an exercise in masochism for your humble admin.
It turned into the latter, so the upgrade didn't happen. It's time to be off to RTFM.
Milfmog

Re: Grrrr....

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:
crfriend wrote:Hopefully this will be a reasonably quick procedure -- unlike the last time where I had to fight with it for a couple of hours -- and non-invasive; however, I feel the need to remind folks that Murphy loves all things computerish and this may turn into an exercise in masochism for your humble admin.
It turned into the latter, so the upgrade didn't happen. It's time to be off to RTFM.
Carl,

I feel sure that you, of all people, did not really expect an upgrade to be a smooth process...

I just hope the manual you will be reading is more help than the ones I've been asked to review recently; nearly all of them tell the user how to start the process and that they should then "follow the on screen instructions". Naturally none of the aforesaid on-screen instructions tell you what to do once the process runs off the rails or (worse) locks up altogether.

The best part is, when calling in for technical support, I get told (not in so many words) that I've introduced a pibkac error or an ID ten T effect*.

Computers; pah, all they seem to do is generate more ways to stop work happening.

Have fun,

Ian.

* Pibkac: Problem is between keyboard and chair
ID ten T: Write it numerically... ID10T :D
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce