Clicking on links in threads

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
Donald

Clicking on links in threads

Post by Donald »

As it stands right now, when I click on a link in a thread, the link is opened in the same window or tab as the thread I am reading. Is it possible to change a setting so that any link clicked will open up in a new window? I prefer that so I can view the new link yet still be able to view the thread at the same time. Just a thought...
gshubert

Re: Clicking on links in threads

Post by gshubert »

Hi Donald,
I use Firefox 2.0 as my browser, and I right-click on a button or link and select "Open link in new tab", and it works for me. Look to see if your browser has a similar feature. [Edited to get the wording right]
--G. Shubert
owen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by owen »

Firefox's right-click menu also has an "open in new window" option, but I agree with Donald that it would be good to have that as the default behaviour for external links.

By the way, for those who are interested, Firefox 3 was launched last night (West Europe time), and the Firefox people are encouraging us to download it now, from http://www.spreadfirefox.com/ , in order to try and set a world record for the most downloads of a program in 24 hours.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

In Internet Explorer 7 just hold down the CTRL key when you click on the link. The link will be opened in a new tab while you continue to look at the original page. This is how I use the "new posts " page. I just CTRL+click on every new post, then switch through the posts by clicking through the tabs.
I find this a better way to go through the posts than using the back button and chosing the next post.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Looking into it....

Post by crfriend »

Certainly, I'd like to see a way that when a user selects a link to an off-site (i.e. non-SkirtCafe) item that item would open in either a separate window or tab (that's browser-dependent, by the way; not all browsers support tabs). That said, I don't see a simple way to make that happen within the current confines of phpBB -- at least nothing has brought itself to my attention, and I've been looking.

This may be possible, but it's going to take quite a bit of digging around, amy involve a new style type, and may not be portable across the next upgrade (whenever that may be). Until such time as we get the notion working, folks will just have to remember to manipulate their browsers in such a manner to spawn a new window (or tab) when desired.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Donald wrote:As it stands right now, when I click on a link in a thread, the link is opened in the same window or tab as the thread I am reading. Is it possible to change a setting so that any link clicked will open up in a new window? I prefer that so I can view the new link yet still be able to view the thread at the same time. Just a thought...
I use Firefox 2. this has the option to set the default action from clicking on links as per the screenshot below:

I suspect something similar exists in other tabbed browsers.

Have fun,

Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
simon

Post by simon »

Another method for opening in a new tab that works well for both firefox and internet explorer is to click with the middle mouse button (or scroll wheel). I use it so often I don't even notice myself doing it.
Simon
Donald

Post by Donald »

Yeah, I know all that! :lol: But I was curious if this could be enabled by default within the phpBB settings. :) Many many times have I used the right click function on many many pages. But this is just a habit. Every message board I have belonged to, including the vBulletin board I moderate, automatically opens the new link in a new page. In other words, it is the html equivalent of "target=_blank" within the HREF tag.

What little bit of web pages I have made, any link to an external site opens in a new window. It is just force of habit, my friends. :)
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

Carl: The previous version of PhBB opened links in a new tab. Then when this current version was installed the functionality changed to 'open in current tab.'

So I suspect that somewhere in the old version there was a switch that was set...and maybe this switch exists in the new version as well.

Indeed, that has been my only complaint about the new version, but it's so petite (the original root of the word "petty") that I didn't bring it up. But I too would like to see that functionality restored...I had just finished training myself NOT to 'right click / open in new...' when in the Café!

All the best,

Chris
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Geez! Can't the admins get a little sleep around here? :wink:

Anyway, none of the control menus for the new version had a tick-box to open external links in a new window/tab so I had to go in and dig around in some of the more undocumented parts of phpBB. I eventually found what I believe to be the proper setting, and from here on in, external links ought to open up in other windows/tabs.

Cheers! :pint:
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

CRFriend, You're a star! Well done.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChrisM »

What a guy! Decorative AND useful! (Oh, wait, that's Sapphire's line...)