Oddities of American Life

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Oddities of American Life

Post by Since1982 »

We Americans are not very original, our forefathers from England weren't much better. In the vicinity of the landing of the "Mayflower" with the first settlements, several kinds of fish were caught and eaten. These fish, who all had Indian names, had their names changed to English names that allowed the catcher of them to easily recognize what fish he'd caught. Some of these "not very original names" are still in use today. 8)

Here are 6 of the first ones named that still have the same names today, except one, which has been slightly altered. 1. Redfish, 2. Bluefish, 3. Whitefish, 4. Silverfish, 5. Sailfish and 6. Flatfish (later re-named "Flounder" because it floundered around on the bottom while laying flat on one side)...I hope it's no problem for anyone to figure out why these fish were given these names. :twisted: :roll:

Can anyone think of any I've missed??
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

You might want to start off visiting weirdnj.com for some truly odd American oddities.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

Or the White House . . . :wink:
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Departed Member

Re: Oddities of American Life

Post by Departed Member »

Since1982 wrote: 6. Flatfish (later re-named "Flounder" because it floundered around on the bottom while laying flat on one side)...I hope it's no problem for anyone to figure out why these fish were given these names.
Is that the same "Flounder" species as is found around British shores and estuaries, which is the only flatfish here to be found in both salt and freshwater environments?
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Possibly

Post by Since1982 »

merlin wrote:Is that the same "Flounder" species as is found around British shores and estuaries, which is the only flatfish here to be found in both salt and freshwater environments?
Actually, the term "flounder" applies to any flatfish that has no teeth and feeds by filtering the sand or mud it forages in. The commonly "misnamed" Summer Flounder is actually a "fluke" as it has big pointy teeth. Real flounders are mostly very small, toothless, less than 6 inches in length and difficult to clean or eat. True flounders are most often caught in Big time SHRIMP fishing boats, mixed in with the shrimp in the shrimp net. Other members of the FLUKE family are Halibut, Oscellated Fluke, Black Sole etc.. All of which have very prominent teeth.

Check the mouth of your English "Flounder" and see if it has teeth, if so, it's a fluke. It's a fluke of the Language to call a fluke a flounder. :)

(in other circles, a fluke is a mistake or accident) :roll:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/