There are days where I wish I could leave my job,

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Pythos
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pythos »

Holy crud!!!

Now I see what Merlin was going on about in another thread.

How in the heck did this thread about using disrespectful terms for women, turn into a thread about out and out racism?

let me clarify something. The guys at my work that were using this term, Two are white as white can be, and the other is an indian, (from india).

I made this thread to discuss the sheer dissrespect to the other sex of our species. How these guys seem to think the entire purpose of the female is to satisfy THEIR sexual desires, and when done, can be thrown aside.

Notice, there is NOTHING about racism.

so I would appreciate that this thread be cleared of the segments dealing with this ugly and useless plague of our existance (racism), and placed back on the track about what the original post was about.

Remember, being offensive is not something reserved for one or the other race. In that arena we are all equally worthless (to quote the gunny).
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Pythos,

I saw your first post as racist, because you appeared to be condemning people, who you later confirmed as 'white' for using a common, everyday term used (not just in many, many US-based films!) by 'black' people. I've put those 'colours' in '-', because I do not accept that 'race', as such, exists. However, different interpretations of language do exist.

The word you quoted has drifted into such 'common useage' in the UK (thanks in the main, to exposure to such imported films), to the extent that it is freely used (esp.) amongst younger folk, both male and female - but NOT in a derogatory sense! Just like other 'trans-Atlantic' word twists, it has now come to mean 'girlfriend', 'wife', or, most commonly, 'assistant'! It is in almost daily useage where my wife works (& she is very 'prim-and-proper', I assure you!). There are many employees there, male & female, from all over Europe, Africa and Asia, none of whom take even the slightest offence. Personally, I would never use the word in any other context than 'female dog'! But - I do take offence (to the same degree as you did!) when folk address a mixed gender group as "Guys!" - again, an offshoot from the USA - yes?

So, I apologise unreservedly, if I have mis-interpreted your post, which is why, on an International Forum, it is clearly unwise to steer too far away from the purpose, namely, "Skirts & Kilts for Men"!
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Language

Post by sapphire »

We must remember that language is fluid and some terms that may be seen as "racist" may have a history or meaningings that are benign.

The world "coon" might be derogatory towards some groups of people with dark skin, or it may be shorthand for a medium sized omnivorous mammal indiginous to the North American continent, the raccoon or it may be part of the breed name for a pedigreed domestic cat, the Maine Coon.

The word "spook" might be derogatory twoards some groups of people with dark skin; it may be used as a verb meaning to frighten or it may refer to a person whose occupation is espionage (a spy)

Then there is the word "fag". This word does not necessarily describe a homosexual person. It used to be a slang term for cigarette.

"Lucifer" may not mean the devil, but may refer to a match (firestarter)

Let's be open with each other and ask the meaning of words when we have a question as to what those words might mean. Not all of us are native English speakers and even "English" has many dialects.

Ending on a point of humor, I recall a time when I had spent the day at the Singapore Zoological Garden and was tired. An Australiain couple, on holiday, approached me, and the man asked (or so I thought) if I was "knocked up" (slang for pregnant). I was flabbergasted; I thought he was being rude. In fact, what he had asked was if I was "knackered", a term I had never encountered in the US.

But yes, indeed, I was "knackered" (tired)
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

I love the use of newly found words, they are very typical to the part of the world where they originated from, just like "knackered", as I have myself lived in the so beautiful Australia myself.

Using words to discriminate, degradate or whatever is a terrible thing to do. And I would never do that myself, except maybe when I feel so angry that I feel like I would want to harm somebody :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have to think about the shows that were on the TV back in the good old days, when you would see two couples in a hotel or on a boat, and they would not say compleet sentances, so that they misunderstood each other, the one comming in one door and the other going out the other, with hilarious misunderstandings going on. They were enjoyable, partly because it was so recognisable that when you spoke that way yourself, which every body did at least sometimes, that the other person had to guess what you actually meant. If he or she didn't ask to elaborate, then there could be a big misunderstanding.

And the word "Lucifer" is a match, in the Dutch language. 8)

I would think it more tactical, and easier understandable if we were to take more time in describing what we are actually trying to say. Otherwise you get discussions like:

"Did you like the film or not?" " Yes. "

That could mean anything. Often we use as little number of words as possible, when talking, writing, like on this forum, and often other people don't understand what you mean.

If readers don't take the trouble to ask "what do you actually mean, could you elaborate," It is then easy to get the wrong message.

I think when using particular words, it may be handy if it were stated, realising that the person / s we are talking to may not know the terms in their correct context. like "knackered, as we Australians say" so that we understand each other.
This takes extra time and we have to think deeper than we possibly are used to, but it can make all the difference.

As most of us here on the forum are clear headed, we talk with each other and any questions are promptly answered. Clearing up any misunderstandings.

There may be biased and discriminative people on the forum, with regards to some issues, but I am sure they will be friendly asked to explain what they have stated, or remove their unwanted statement as being not representative for the people on the forum.

Peter v.
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.