Tights shopping (advice appreciated)

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by AMM »

Minor question: What are "fashion" tights, and what other kind are there?

Major answer: If you're looking for opaque tights, here are where I've gotten them in the past:
  • Lands' End http://www.landsend.com has microfiber tights, including in "plus" sizes. Mostly dull colors.
  • Sock-Dreams http://www.sock-dreams.com has all kinds of stuff, including tights. They tend to be for smaller people.
  • WeLoveColors http://www.welovecolors.com has tights in all colors, up to 4X. They are not as rugged as some others, and the color is a dye on the finished fiber, rather than being in the nylon itself, so the colors bleed onto anything they're in close contact with (like underwear.)
  • Local drug stores. The only useful color I've found is black. Walgreen's has a store brand that's decent, and Hanes has black "Just My Size" tights, some with halfway interesting weave patterns.
sapphire
Member Extraordinaire

Post by sapphire »

I recently bought several pairs of tights at JC Penny. The brand was Worthington. The colors were pretty drab, but they did come in textures and lacy styles.
bobmate

Post by bobmate »

I've bought some from http://www.tights-for-men.co.uk the ones i've tried seem to be fantastic aurel from collanto 70 den plenty of sizes and male gusset.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

I have lots of experience with dance tights, and some with fashion tights. In general, yes, dance tights are heavier, higher quality, and cost more. You can choose dance tights intended for and marketed toward men or women.

Men's dance tights are heavier than women's dance tights. In nylon, men's black tights are completely opaque and can be worn without shaving, men's white tights are semi-opaque --- if you don't want to shave, they generally require two pairs of tights to avoid unseemly hair showing through. Capezio is a big supplier of men's nylon tights. You can also buy "milliskin" men's tights by M Steven. Milliskin is hard to describe, it's a spandex-like opaque fabric and is well regarded for stage performance. However, it is not very durable. (Capezio men's tights last, like, forever. Nothing else compares in terms of longevity.)

M Steven's men's tights stay up pretty well, Capezios are notorious for sagging. Ther'es an old "trick" of wrapping the waistband around a belt that will keep them up. Wearing a leotard over tights will also have similar result, depending on the fashion needs of the overall outfit.

You can get Capezio pretty much in black or white. I think M Stevens come in a few more colors as well. White tights can be dyed to other colors using Rit dye.

"Women's" dance tights can also be used. Useful colors for fashion might include black or white, and you can dye the white. I would avoid wearing pink or suntan for a street outfit, as this makes it look like you're on your way to dance class.

As for sizing, it's best to seek out and read the manufacturer's size charts, and follow them. Many brands do not come in typical men's sizes; I've had good luck with Capezio X/XL size. Some might come in "plus" sizes, but "plus" size tights never fit as well on tall skinny people as tights made the right size to begin with.

Women's dance tights are generally made to be worn under a leotard, and thus tend to fall down as well. That is especially true on men, with our narrow hips; they actually do stay up better on women. And since they weren't meant to be rolled over a belt, they often don't have enough material in the waistband for that trick. The exception is footless tights which don't go down past the ankle: without something pulling them down at the feet, they actually stay up pretty well on their own.

Women's dance tights are generally not as opaque as men's. You should definitely shave, whatever color you choose. Black tights will be a little bit shear, and shift opacity as you bend your legs. I believe that Baryshnikov tights are more opaque than most others.

Women's tights come in "footed", "footless" and "convertible" (sometimes called "transition"). Convertible tights have a hole in the bottom, which allow you access to your toes without taking off the tights. They are very practicle for changing shoes and adjusting stuff quickly in the dance studio, without having to go to the dressing room. However, when worn with street shoes, the hole in the bottom tends to slip over your heel, they "ride up." Convertible tights are also especially fragile, when compared to their footed or footless siblings. I do not recommend convertible tights for fashion wear.

The two major American on-line retailers are excellent companies, and I use both of them:

http://www.discountdance.com
http://www.dancedistributors.com
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
For good quality tights, I use Silkies---www.silkies.co.uk - Most come with a gusset, so no knicks need be worn. No panty line either. :D
Greg
howard

Post by howard »

For hockey, I could spend £££'s for men's tights, but Pretty Polly 30denier @ £3,50 will do nicely, thank you very much.
Have a look at myspace.com/howard4tatu because one day I might update it.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Last edited by SkirtDude on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

DEleted.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Gregg1100 likes to use silkies; I don't think so, the rooster pecks and has sharp claws and I don't think the hens would be all that amenable either :? :P
Bob
Barista Emeritus

Post by Bob »

Anybody have knowledge of whether the Capezio "stretch and hold" is better or worse than the "Ultra Soft"? I'm a little leery of the ultra soft because it only comes in 2 sizes (stretch & hold has 5 sizes)
Capezio "hold and stretch" are a very old model, and low in spandex. Most dancers dislike them, they don't feel that great, and they can sag as well. The "ultra soft" feel much better, but are rather fragile. Let your pack bump up against them while you're wearing them, and you've got a run --- and one minor bout with velcro and you can kiss those tights goodbye. I usually repair runs up to about 3 or 4 times, then throw them out. It's OK to be in the ballet studio with ratty tights, but you might want tights on the street to be in more pristine condition.

Old Dancer Trick: if there's just a spot problem on tights, apply clear nail polish. It does wonders to hold the fabric together at that point.

Some dance tights come with seams in the back. It's also rather old-fashioned, from a time before we had the technology to make seamless tights. But they are still preferred by many ballet dancers, I suppose because they look old-fashioned for old-fashioned ballets.

Mesh tights --- some dancers swear by them, some don't care. Your mileage may vary. But I think they only come in pink anyway, and I already advised against wearing pink tights on the street.
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
I don't have any chickens or roosters, so my tights last longer. :D

I only post here to help if I can, if I see something that may be ok for some, you will see it here. The Silkies are fairly long lasting, comfortable FOR ME, and possibly others. They come in about six shades, and not as expensive as other makes mentioned here. In fact, Asda do a box of 5 pr. tights for £1.50---they last and look well too.
Greg
SkirtDude

Re: Tights shopping (advice appreciated)

Post by SkirtDude »

Deleted.