Removing Leg Hair?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
trainman
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, Land Down Under!

Removing Leg Hair?

Post by trainman »

OK, I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find any threads on here about it.

Has anyone removed their leg hair, and if so, how?

I have been contemplating shaving reguarly, but I hate shaving at the best of times. I have tried waxing, NEVER again will wax come near my legs! Have been thiking of trying an Epilator, but don't want to spend money on one If I'm not going to keep using it. So I was wondering what other peoples have tried.
Trainman is...

...Geek in Goth clothing!
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm old school - shave about every two or three days. I first shaved them back when I had a large public indoor pool available and could swim laps daily. That went for a time, but I stopped for several years after moving to the coast. I started back keeping my legs hairless full time a couple winters back when the tights I sometimes wear for winter outdoor warmth really began pulling on the hair. Had to begin by taking off the hair with an electric dog clipper! I found that tights also stayed up better without the lubricating effect of wooly legs. Now I just like the look and feel of shaven legs.
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie D
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stevie D »

I have kept my legs free of hair for about the last 14 years. I use a Braun epilator too, as the effects last much longer than shaving, and there is no scratchy stubble 24 hours afterwards. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to do both legs, once every 3 weeks or so.

Like most people, I found the epilator a bit painful at first, but nothing that I couldn't cope with; subsequent sessions were much easier and now I hardly notice the slight pulling sensation. The hairs definitely grow back finer after a few sessions. So I would recommend an epilator - it's worth persevering with, although I recognise that everyone is different and what suits one person may not suit another.
Stevie D
(Sheffield, South Yorkshire)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Steve D wrote:I have kept my legs free of hair for about the last 14 years. I use a Braun epilator too, as the effects last much longer than shaving, and there is no scratchy stubble 24 hours afterwards. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to do both legs, once every 3 weeks or so.
Generally speaking, I tend to shave mine every other day or so using an electric shaver (a Norelco, I believe). It does well enough, but is getting a bit long in the tooth. I shaved my legs once with a razor, and liked the results (better than the electric), but that was a bit of a nuisance as I'm not as flexible as I once was. I cannot imagine the pain of either waxing of "epilating"; somehow the though of pulling every last hair out by its roots disturbs me....
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

I cannot imagine the pain of either waxing of "epilating"; somehow the though of pulling every last hair out by its roots disturbs me....
it hurts like hell the first couple of time but if you can get over that it's OK I can even do the private parts !!!!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Removing Leg Hair?

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I shave my legs about once a week, with twin blade wet razor. I have bought an epilator, just need some bottles of real ale to help dull the pain. :) :) :)
Greg
beverlonian

Post by beverlonian »

Anyone who uses an epilator has my deepest respect - an instrument of torture! :shock:
Joe

There are many ways to get from A to B. It's not the destination, it's the journey that counts.
trainman

Post by trainman »

I might give the epilator a try then... I usually hate pain, well mainly acute pain... But can stand long term throbbing very easily. So I guess it'll just be a test of my convictions...
Trainman is...

Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

How about a blow lamp? Desperate Dan shaves with one :)

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... image&cd=1

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

Anyone who shaves with a 'blow lamp' (blow torch where I come from) has my sincerest condolences... to their family! :shock:

I've tried many things also... sugaring, chemical removal, razor blades, electric razor, epilator... the electric is my favorite right now just because it's my first one for my legs.

Epilating is just like other have mentioned... painful at first depending on the area of the body you are working on, but less so after several sessions.

The hair is supposed to grow in cycles, meaning some hair is growing while some is 'dormant', I guess.

So, after you epilate the first time, you'll have new growth of the 'other hairs' to deal with soon after, but after all that you should find it easier.

I tried a single disk epilater I got at a thrift store for $5 (enjoi), but I have found that the double disk or rotor (not sure what to call it) is much better for me.
The new one I got cost more like $50, but it works so much better than the single.

There is always laser and ... arrrrgh, I'm losing my mind... the other one is the electric needle that kills the hair follicle... someone help me out here...

Anyway, those methods, depending on what works for you, can cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars to get your hair permanently removed.
WSmac
earth_man

Post by earth_man »

I shave my legs when I shower. I shave up and with water from the shower head running on one leg then the other,. No need for soap or creams. I also taught my G/F this and now she does the same thing.
Regards

Warren 2, aka Earth Man, near Manassas Va.

If women are from Venus and men are from Mars, I'm from the Earth.
trainman

Post by trainman »

Well after some more advice, I decided against the epilator, instead I got a cheap shaver. Works damn well, and avoids the risk of nicks that comes with a normal razor.
Trainman is...