A new career vaguely attached to the issue of skirt wearing

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

A new career vaguely attached to the issue of skirt wearing

Post by WSmac »

I'm in the process of seeking a new career.
I'm in my mid 40's, worked mostly in the pre-hospital and hospital medical fields, but I have done probably 20+ other types of occupations/skills.

To the point, I am going to college taking computer classes.
I figure this is a line of work where I may be able to dress in my skirts as long as they are professional?

This is not the only reason; just the only way I could match this with skirtcafe's area of interest :D

So, I'm wondering, do you computer folks have the opportunity to work in your skirts?

For the U.S. members, are the job predictions by the Dept. of Labor realistic as to the growth in jobs in the computer industry/field?
They say in pretty much all areas, there will be decent growth in jobs over the coming years.

Thanks for any info or comments. :)
WSmac
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: A new career vaguely attached to the issue of skirt wear

Post by crfriend »

WSmac wrote:I figure [computers are a] line of work where I may be able to dress in my skirts as long as they are professional?
You'll find that will be driven more by your employer and the company culture more than anything else. Open minded employers and companies won't give a hoot, especially if you're in a non-(external)-customer facing position; closed-minded ones, though, even a single narrow-minded boss, can kill the prospect dead.

I work in the computer field (UNIX sysadmin currently), and have for almost 30 years. In that period of time I've had bosses who would have been fine with the notion and have had ones that were so closed-minded that any new notion scared the pudding out of them. Right now, a few of my co-workers know that I wear skirts when I'm "off the clock", but my immediate superiors are so narrow-minded that, to use the old saw, "they can see through a keyhole with both eyes" -- this in a company that doesn't have a dress code (if flip-flop sandals, Birkenstocks, tee-shirts, and "jean shorts" are passable there can't be a dress code) that I'll not even contemplate giving it a go. Besides, I rather like the hard-and-fast border between being "on" and "off" the clock; my off-hours skirt-wearing reinforces that.
WSmac wrote:For the U.S. members, are the job predictions by the Dept. of Labor realistic as to the growth in jobs in the computer industry/field?
They say in pretty much all areas, there will be decent growth in jobs over the coming years.
I suspect that they're lying. Rampant abuse of the H-1B visa system drove the average salary of technical computer staff through the floor in the late '90s and early '00s so there's not a whole lot to look forward to if you want a decent lifestyle. This abuse still continues; you'll recognise it by reading the help-wanted ads and seeing the impossible list of requirements that a prospective employer wants -- since nobody "measures up" to the list (because the list is impossible (three years of MS Vista experience, anybody?) they conclude that no locals are available and grab an H-1B who'll work for half what a citizen will. "Outsourcing" (read "offshoring") is still rampant, although that seems to be slowing somewhat because of quality-control problems and the fact that as standards of living rise in the places where the jobs are "outsourced" to folks there expect a liveable wage.

Thirty years ago the computer field looked very bright indeed. Today, I'd steer away from it; had I known then what I know now, I probably would have chosen a different path. Think about it for a moment: this is a profession that you spend years learning, it's a profession that demands that you stay current with (at your own expense, usually), and it's a profession that's increasingly being driven offshore by greedy companies. Making matters worse, the skill and talents required to excel in the field are not typically well understood by today's "McManagers" and are certainly not appreciated; in the past 25 years the quality of technical management has reached lows I never believed possible when I got into the field (most managers then had risen through the ranks and had a level of technical clue that today's McManager will never have). I'm not saying it's all "gloom and doom", but it lacks most of the luster it once had, and it only takes a single well-placed idiot to make things unbearably bad.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
WSmac
Member Extraordinaire
Location: Northern California(North of the Bay Area, that is)

Post by WSmac »

I have already taken a couple of classes at the college and my professors have been talking about how bright the future is.

Perhaps this is their strategy for upping enrollment and keeping their jobs?
:D

I heard one time that the outsourcing was partly driven by the fact that after the burst of the silicon bubble, no one was moving into the now non-glamorous/high paying jobs in the computer field, so companies had to find experienced persons elsewhere.

My problem is my ADHD.
Since the end of the 70's, when I left the military (my MOS was a field medic), I have had well over 30 jobs. I quit the bulk of them and was only fired from two.
I have done things like; oilfield worker, commercial diver, ambulance driver/attendant, hospital labs & emergency rooms, construction laborer, public information search (using computers.... cardpunch & tape... old time stuff huh? lol), teacher (wilderness survival & grade school perceptual motor), truck driver, ski instructor, commercial laundry machine operator, horseshoer (farrier to some of you), bar bouncer, bar manager, etc.

I could stay right where I am. I'm making $16/hr with benefits. But I do feel the call to move on.
I REALLY want to finish college (university for you folks across the pond :D ), but I have... NO EARTHLY IDEA what I want to be when I grow up!

So, computers looked pretty good! :D :wink:
WSmac
bmaxim

Post by bmaxim »

I have taught software engineering for 22 years. Enrollment in CS programs is down over 50% since 2001. Yet, my students are having a relatively time finding employment with good compensation without having to move out of the state (as was the case two years ago).
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

The skirt wearing question will be answered by the employer ... both the company and your immediate managers. I work at home so can wear what I wish. A few folks I work with know I wear a kilt, none know of the skirts. The company owner is quite conservative ... I'm not sure how he'd react but I really don't want to find out. If I were to work in the office, I'm pretty sure it would not fly, even though there is no dress code (that I know of).

The career questions are gonna be answered by you.... if you learn lots of stuff that is easily off-shored, you can count on competition from that angle for a long while. If it's hardware you are interested, especially repair, that is harder to off-shore, especially the big iron. The legacy stuff like MVS is where I'm staking my claim. The developed parts of the world are, to a large degree, still running their most critical applications using this 50 year old technology. Off-shoring is more difficult, since the applications are often specific to the company owning the machine. I'd say a very secure career patch would be a mainframe systems programmer and the very insecure one would be a web developer or web programmer using whatever the language du jour is. You'll probably end up some where between the 2 :)
DavidsSkirts

re: Computer jobs ???

Post by DavidsSkirts »

With respect to the computer industry jobs :

even down here in Oz, the IT industry "pundits" (whatever they are..), have been claiming - for the last twenty years or so - that there would be 10,000 jobs a year, into the foreseeable future, in the IT field...

If that had been true that would have meant over 200,000 extra IT jobs since the late 1980's - but that never eventuated here - the great majority of those are probably in India, where hundreds of software co's and call-centres have been set up by western businesses and multi-nationals alike..

Those claims should probably be filed along with other 'futurist' predictions from 20 or 30 years ago - like 32 hour/4 day working weeks, improved wages and conditions, better health and nutrition for all, no more poverty, flying cars, nuclear fusion..

We probably will see skirts as an accepted mainstream fashion alternative for men, before we see any of those 'predictions' realised...

:roll:
David...
Lake Macquarie (aka paradise..); NSW; Australia.
kiltair

Post by kiltair »

After our company was taken over by EMC, I continued to wear kilts and skirts to work. No problem. EMC is a big East-coast computer storage manufacturer with 13.000 employees nearly as narrow-minded as an average bank (concering dress-codes), but I find that as long as you dress properly, a skirt never was a problem for me..

Now, I work as an independent contractor from home. My current customers have never seen me. I wonder if they would be surprised finding me in my underwear behind the computer :D Needless to say they are very happy with my work so far, so why would they mind?
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

WSmac wrote:I have already taken a couple of classes at the college and my professors have been talking about how bright the future is.

Perhaps this is their strategy for upping enrollment and keeping their jobs?
:D

I heard one time that the outsourcing was partly driven by the fact that after the burst of the silicon bubble, no one was moving into the now non-glamorous/high paying jobs in the computer field, so companies had to find experienced persons elsewhere.

My problem is my ADHD.
Since the end of the 70's, when I left the military (my MOS was a field medic), I have had well over 30 jobs. I quit the bulk of them and was only fired from two.
I have done things like; oilfield worker, commercial diver, ambulance driver/attendant, hospital labs & emergency rooms, construction laborer, public information search (using computers.... cardpunch & tape... old time stuff huh? lol), teacher (wilderness survival & grade school perceptual motor), truck driver, ski instructor, commercial laundry machine operator, horseshoer (farrier to some of you), bar bouncer, bar manager, etc.

I could stay right where I am. I'm making $16/hr with benefits. But I do feel the call to move on.
I REALLY want to finish college (university for you folks across the pond :D ), but I have... NO EARTHLY IDEA what I want to be when I grow up!

So, computers looked pretty good! :D :wink:
Wow, are you 007? With all those different job fields? 8) :lol: :lol:
People with such wide experience can be of invaluable importance to getting skirt wearing on track. We're not just a few escaped loonies. :shock: 8) :lol: :lol: But people from all walks of life, a cross section of the community.

Peter v
PS I know about ADHD. :? :wink:
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.
Peter v
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Peter v »

kiltair wrote:After our company was taken over by EMC, I continued to wear kilts and skirts to work. No problem. EMC is a big East-coast computer storage manufacturer with 13.000 employees nearly as narrow-minded as an average bank (concering dress-codes), but I find that as long as you dress properly, a skirt never was a problem for me..

Now, I work as an independent contractor from home. My current customers have never seen me. I wonder if they would be surprised finding me in my underwear behind the computer :D Needless to say they are very happy with my work so far, so why would they mind?
Hallo, kiltair, welkom op skilt Cafe, vanuit Nederland!

Yeh, working from home can have it's advantages. But then again, if you're at home you're not interacting in the outside world, in your skirt, even though you can wear it whenever you want, in home. So with regards to skirt wearing while working at home, it's not the same as wearing a skirt beyond the front door. As many people may even be naked at their computer... :? :shock: :? 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have down to 32 hour weeks here in the Netherlands, but it doesn't work, of course, because you then have to work much harder, and make more overtime, which after tax gives per hour less that normal hours. At least a few years back.

Although people in countrys such as India are very happy, even laughing at us, with their outplacements for jobs going their way, it's killing all job potential in our own countrys and only a handful in our own countrys are benefitting. It's downright treason. But we're used to that, unfortunately.

I think calling to a firm, from your own country, getting somebody on the line who in very good english takes your questions, but is in fact in India or wherever, is really insane. But that's how it is.

Just keep on skirting. :lol:

Peter v
A man is the same man in a pair of pants or a skirt. It is only the way people look at him that makes the difference.