Systemic Narrow Mindedness

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
G.Shaw

Systemic Narrow Mindedness

Post by G.Shaw »

Here’s one for you. I have neighbors who live less that 75 feet from me (about 20 Meters). These people have added a screened metal awning to the back of their house and put a TV and Stereo in that awning. They continually bring their friends to their house and have parties until late at night. (Defined as 12:00am or later.)

Recently I was trying to enjoy a quiet evening relaxing by the pool (11:30pm) and found that I could not relax due to their noise. They had the TV on some inane sitcom and were talking to each other over the noise of the TV.

I walked over and asked them to “Please turn down the TV.” Only to be told I was a skirt wearing Faggot. (I was wearing a 17 inch denim skirt with a white shirt at the time.) I stated that the person who made the “faggot” referance wasn’t a resident and had no right to say anything thus should “Shut Up”. My exact words being: "You don't live here and have no right to make any comments about anything. So be quite."

My observation and request for comments is this:
How would you handle the above situation?

Greg
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Greg,

It's difficult to offer advice without knowing the neighbours or your relationship with them. However if it were my neighbours, with whom I have a polite but distant relationship, I would start by going around during the day and simply explaining that I find the noise of their TV intrusive and that I would appreciate it if they would keep the volume down after a reasonable time of night. I would probably not wear a skirt while talking to them, no need to give them an additional focus to pick on if they're not inclined to listen. Keep your initial approach polite and friendly, there is always time to escalate things later if required. If there are other neighbours who are similarly affected it might be worth talking to them too.

How things develop from there will depend on their reaction, but the idea of a high pressure water gun that could be used to fill the TV from my own land when they are not watching is really appealing (Note: tongue in cheek suggestion!)

Good luck,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

G.Shaw wrote:ents is this:

Greg
People who would act this way are unreasonable, and by definition, cannot be reasoned with. This is why we have the 'right to bear arms' :) -- just kidding!

I would probably get one of those really bright flashlights, like 1,000,000 candepower, the kind that looks like a portable streetlamp, and shine on their
TV. They are overpowering your quiteness with loudness, no reason you can't overpower their optical-based party with more optical-ness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Diplomacy

Post by crfriend »

G.Shaw wrote:My observation and request for comments is this:
Personally, I've found that a polite civil approach is, almost without exception, the best.

In this case, I'd be tempted to follow Milfmog's lead and approach them sometime during the day, or at another time when an "offence" isn't taking place and have a friendly chat with them about the matter. I'm assuming you used all possible civility when dealing with them during their offence, but it sounds like there may have been alcohol involved (the "faggot" remark was way out of line) and drunkenness never helps matters. If possible, just a casual chat across the fence some afternoon might work wonders. You might also mention that their guest's comments were unhelpful at best and defamatory at worst, but that you're happy to let it go so long as everybody stays respectful in the future.

Calling out the police seldom yields good results, and frequently makes enemies, and one need not even contemplate violence over the matter. If it doesn't happen all that frequently, I'd even be tempted to let it go -- so long as they do the same if you happen to have a party that runs late someday. If it's a chronic condition, however, something needs doing and I'd try to start civilly.

Good luck.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hiker

Post by hiker »

Seems like one solution would be to invite a much larger friend over and the both of us could have gone over barechested in black utilkilts to discuss the issue further (e.g. kick some ass).

I know its not the PC answer but I bet it would create a stir, but your mileage may very. Another answer would be to party with them.
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I would:

1) Go and see the neighbour and tell him (them) that I did not appreciate the comment from their friend the other night at all - and I do not appreciate the noise that they are making late at night.

2) I would then ask them to not make the noise after (say . . 12 midnight) - and to make sure that their friend did not make any more offensive (and homophobic) comments.

And that's it. I would not add the "or I will . . . " - I would leave that unsaid.

Then I would wait and see if things improve. If they don't - I would firebomb the place. But then, I'm a Scorpio . . . :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Out in the weather

Post by Since1982 »

Since the TV is sort of "out in the weather" perhaps some well disguised "weather" at night after they've gone to bed would settle things a bit, 'specially if they have some "weather" every night they get loud and boisterous. They couldn't actually even accuse you unless they taped you doing something, any thing they might say without proof is slander and is indictable. :ninjajig:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
CharlesG

Post by CharlesG »

I also agree with Milfmog. If the problem persists, I'm sure there are noise ordinances in Florida that can be remedied by a little visit by the local constabulary. Dowsing the TV with water will just escalate the problem. Although my first thought included weapons, this is also not a solution either. You should never stoop to the level of the antagonist.
Regards,
Charlie
Skirts, A NEW freedom for men to pursue.
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r1g0r »

grenades!

there is no problem that can't be made better with a carefully planned & judicious application of high explosives.

they can be used with very little training.
they leave very little usable evidence.
they make a lovely "BOOM"-ing sound.
and they are almost NEVER anticipated.

from noisy neighbors to blisters on the foot, explosives can solve anything, if used correctly!
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Push the a__hole into the pool and toss the TV in after him!
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

Also about a dozen car horns from a junkyard wired to a 600 cca battery can make a very competitive noise! Or some big speakers with a 400 watt amp playing a tape loop - something truly annoying over and over, maybe Alice Cooper's "No More Mister Nice Guy"?
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Sasquatch wrote:...Or some big speakers with a 400 watt amp playing a tape loop - something truly annoying over and over, maybe Alice Cooper's "No More Mister Nice Guy"?
Sasq
If you really want to irritate the neighbours, forget music and stick to classics like "Agadoo" (Black Lace), "Shaddap you face" (Joe Dolce) or "The Birdy song" (also by Black Lace IIRC); 24 hours or so and I reckon everyone in earshot will have slashed their wrists and then shot themselves in case bleeding to death is too slow :)

Have fun,

Ian (still not being serious about retaliation).
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Friends of mine on a farm with stables have an air compressor (the sort for roadworks) and a ships horn (not to be used on vessels under 5000 tons or so it says on the label)
That makes a significant noise and something similar might just work.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

. . . and a ships horn (not to be used on vessels under 5000 tons or so it says on the label)
Ooooooooooh . . . .

<jealous>

I want one! :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

A friend of mine runs a river tripping boat on the Thames from Maidenhead. A few years ago, following the Marchoness accident in London the rules were changed so that he now has to have a "Three mile horn" on the boat. These are designed to be audible at a range of 3 miles and come with a warning that they must not be sounded when there is anyone within 5m of the horn - apparently ear bleeding is a real risk :)

The rules also require him to carry a life raft with provisions for 70 people for 3 days! Given that the river is only about 6' deep and is not more than 200' wide anywhere on the non tidal section this does seem to be something of an over reaction.

Have fun,

Ian.