Sandals make you gay

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Sandals make you gay

Post by Charlie »

I found this article and subsequent discussion about sandals:

http://men.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/05/04/summer-shoes/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.askmen.com%2Ffashion%2Ffashiontip_300%2F321_fashion_advice.html%3FFLASH

Some of the comments are laughable - and very sad. I just had to post a reply. What's more, you don't have to register :)

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Charlie wrote:I found this article and subsequent discussion about sandals:
... Some of the comments are laughable - and very sad. I just had to post a reply. What's more, you don't have to register :) Charlie
Jolly funny! It appears you can 'mark' the comments "good"/"bad" as you see fit. I do wonder about the interpretation of the "G" word, though. Nowadays, it is coming more and more to mean "unfashionable", rather than the "homosexual" usurpation...... :think:
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

merlin wrote:I do wonder about the interpretation of the "G" word, though. Nowadays, it is coming more and more to mean "unfashionable", rather than the "homosexual" usurpation...... :think:
Good observation Merlin,

It has been noticeable recently how many of my son's friends declare things to be gay when what they mean is just that they do not want it for themselves. I'd rather see the word return to it's original meaning of happy and carefree, but at least unfashionable is an improvement on it's more recent usage.

Aren't the dynamics of language great? In a few years, reading back through the sort of social chat that these fora represent, it may be surprisingly difficult to make sense of some of the content. That will be particularly true of the websites popular with today's teenagers. I suspect we're witnessing the start of a whole new science; linguistic archaeology :cheer:.

Have fun,

Ian.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

i don't know...

Post by r1g0r »

ever since i tried on sandals this last weekend, i've had the hankering for some man-love.

my wife & kids agree that i seemed to be fine until the sandals entered the picture, and then i suddenly became the world's biggest nancy-boy.

hopefully, God will forgive me for embracing this lifestyle, as it was forced upon me by footwear.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I suspect we're witnessing the start of a whole new science; linguistic archaeology
Wow! That sounds really heavy, man. :D
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

ever since i tried on sandals this last weekend, i've had the hankering for some man-love.

my wife & kids agree that i seemed to be fine until the sandals entered the picture, and then i suddenly became the world's biggest nancy-boy.
Big LOL at this post - by r1g0r :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
G.Shaw

r1g0r's a funny man!

Post by G.Shaw »

Dudes;

r1g0r's comments were funny to say the least!

Thanks I needed that!

But seriously.....
People in today's society at least have a twisted view of what is 'normal'.
I wear sandals and nobody around me has ever stated it is 'gay'. The fact that most shoe stores have sandals or 'flip-flops' available for men indicates it is acceptable by society to wear them. Skirts aren't nearly as prevalent as them thus which is considered more 'gay'.

What a conflicted society we live in.

Greg
MtnBiker
Distinguished Member

Post by MtnBiker »

Same here, I wear them almost year round. If I'm wearing note-worthy sandals -- something very unique or stylish -- I may get a comment but always positive. Anything average, like a Birkenstock or Teva -- nada.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm tossing out all my sandals just to keep r1g0r away! (Not that there's anything wrong with it.) :)
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
eightofninekev

Post by eightofninekev »

I have just got back from holiday and there where quiet a few of us men wearing sandes i bet most of the posters wouldent dare call any of us gay .Also when i started high school i wore sandles and got called Jesus because of it.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Birkenstocks

Post by Since1982 »

I can, from experience tell you that there are millions of men that wear Birkenstock sandals as everyday wear, 'specially here in the Florida Keys where the weather is usually warm or hot and humid. :eh: :shake:

I really miss the "good old days" when to be "gay" meant you were light hearted and without a care in the world..That guy who said a sandal wearing man was a "fag" was really weird, I can't imagine calling anyone an English cigarette no matter what footwear they decide to wear. :):shake:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

Spot on, Skip! I never have, and never will, use the "G" word, other than in its 'correct' context. The "fag" word has another usage in the UK, although heard but rarely, these days. At Public Schools, younger boys were (still are?) expected to act as 'servants' for the seniors, and the noun 'fag' & verb 'fagging' have been commonly used for donkey's years, with no ulterior meaning. And especially to confuse the unwary, "Public School" is short for "Public Subscription School", i.e., you pay to send your kids there!

The whole 'sandal' thing has me mystified. They were far more a boy's summer footwear than girls, back in the '50s/'60s, in the UK. Pushed into the background by (so called) 'trainers', they seem to be making a steady comeback - perhaps because recent trends towards continental (read: hot!) holidays makes them an attractive (less sweaty?) option. The 'no sock' fad is new, mind - in the 'olden days', we always wore short socks with them! Now, I've got to ask - what exactly are "Birkenstocks"? And, how do they differ (or not) from 'ordinary' sandals - I'd never heard of such things prior to this forum!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

merlin wrote:Now, I've got to ask - what exactly are "Birkenstocks"? And, how do they differ (or not) from 'ordinary' sandals - I'd never heard of such things prior to this forum!
Merlin,

Birkenstocks have a website here.

Like you I only heard of Birkenstocks fairly recently. However it was when someone at my employers parent company released a new dress code to all employees world wide before it had been discussed. Birkenstocks were specifically banned along with all similar footwear, which is probably fine for the engineering manufacturing plants in Illinois but not so good for plants in hot areas such as the Barcelona office I'm in this week.

The interesting part of the premature release was the reaction from the UK HR manager*, she promptly wrote back to head office and told them that while it may be acceptable in a backwater like Chicago to have different dress codes for men and women it was not acceptable in more advanced places where equality was considered important. I'd love to have seen the look on the Company President's face when he read that email :) . In conversation with her later she told me (unprompted) that company policy may not differentiate between the genders nor even assume that there are only two genders to consider. Her comment that men could chose to wear a dress if they wanted to surprised me, but the rider that it must be "business appropriate for the job the wearer is employed to do" was clearly intended by senior management to allow them to nip anything they did not like firmly in the bud. I have not yet broached the subject of wearing an informal kilt to the office during regular hours, perhaps if the weather gets hot I may just do it and see what reaction it brings.

Have fun,

Ian.

* HR = Human Resources or personnel for those of you who like to use real words and avoid buzz phrases. Mind you, I prefer HR to the term used in one electronics company I visited a few years back; they referred to staff as "Liveware", yuk.
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
crfriend
Master Barista

Birks.

Post by crfriend »

Milfmog wrote:Birkenstocks have a website here.
Is it just me, or are Birkenstocks the ugliest possible footwear going? They're *so* bad that I suspect the company held focus groups to discover how to produce the nastiest-looking things possible. Like clam-diggers (capris or whatever) they look good on neither men nor women.

That's just my opinion, of course.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

crfriend wrote:Is it just me, or are Birkenstocks the ugliest possible footwear going?
They're certainly ugly, but they're not a patch on these eyepoppingly ugly creations.

I have tried a pair of the crocs sandals (does that make me gay? Perhaps I'd better warn my wife :) ) and have to say that despite being ugly they were astonishingly comfortable. I might just have to get over my prejudices and buy a pair, just as I did to start wearing kilts and skirts.

Have fun,

Ian.