A Sad Day

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

A Sad Day

Post by Uncle Al »

To All!

Just a quick note to say that my mother lacked 20 days of completing her 100th year. She is in no pain. After 26 years as a widow, she went to meet her husband of 57years, on 23 March 2007. Now, some of the burden of dealing with nursing homes and government red tape ( Medicaid ) are over.

It hasn't hit me yet. As an only child, I've had my hands full. I've spent more time on the telephone, talking with the funeral home, other distant relatives, and close friends. I haven't had the time to let it soak in.

OK - I guess I'm rambling on. My wife and I have a day and a half drive ahead of us, so I'm off to bed.

Uncle Al
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
r1g0r
Member Extraordinaire

oh, al...

Post by r1g0r »

i know what you're going through, my dad passed 2 years ago. after an off-and-on 20 year fight with cancer (the only thing that kills people on either side of my family tree) he gave in and went to his reward.

the numbness is normal, and it'll go away on it's own schedule. it's a mental layer of protection, and almost everybody goes through it.

my thoughts are with you.
you know... george orwell warned us!
"Moderation is a colorless, insipid thing to counsel. To live less would not be living."
Sister M. Madeleva Wolff (1887-1964), CSC
crfriend
Master Barista

My thoughts go with you

Post by crfriend »

I'm very saddened to hear your news, Al; it always hurts when one loses a parent. Hopefully your wife and family will be your anchor whilst you grieve.

Best wishes!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Its good when parents are spared to a ripe old age but we still miss them when they eventually pass on. My father died from cancer three years ago, aged 85, and I still miss him a lot. Like you I have a wife and I am an only child.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
ChristopherJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ChristopherJ »

I'll join the other posters here in sending you my best wishes, Al.

Probably it's a good thing that you are busy for while - dealing with the practical things that need to be sorted out - as that will keep you occupied while the loss slowly sinks in. It will take time - lots of time.

My own mother is now 94 and, although she is in fairly good health (she lives in her own home - alone) I can see that she is getting more frail with the passing of time. I just enjoy her company and her presence while she is here with me. I guess that's all we can do.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood . . .
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

I'm with ya too..

Post by Since1982 »

My mom passed on in 1999 15 days short of seeing the new millenium which she'd talked many times about hoping she'd see a new century come in. She was 84 and had a very happy life also. She wrote "The Garden of Eden" the first popular song with a 4-4 beat. All modern rock and roll has a 4-4 beat. All pop music before that was a 3-4 beat as in "Boogie woogie" and blues songs. Bill Haley's "Rock around the Clock" was boogie woogie and a 3-4 beat song. My mom has everlasting fame of a sort. If you go into any public library in America and look up "Who's Who of American Women" and "Who's Who of Women of the World" under Dennise Haas Norwood you will find her there. She is credited with writing the song that started "Rock and Roll"..I was also an only child and took care of my mom after my dad died in 1967 until her death in '99.. I still miss her deeply. That will never go away, and we should never hope it does.. Love lasts forever. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/