Children's Organ Transplants

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
G.Shaw

Children's Organ Transplants

Post by G.Shaw »

Folks;

I've been tied up very much lately with a family problem.

My 3 year old niece has had an illness that damaged her heart.
It has been every parent's nightmare a child in critical condition.
On February 16 she was put on life support after cardiac arrest at the emergency room. We were lucky that she was at the University of Michigan Medical Center so that she could be both revived and put on an ECMO support device. (UofM pioneered that device.) It was touch and go for almost three weeks. She had open heart surgery on her third birthday that has brought her back to a semblance of health. She is at a point now that she can receive a heart transplant. Until the hospital put a non-FDA approved device to help her heart work since it is totally gone there was no hope.

She has been on three forms of life support now.
1) Regular Ventilator.
2) ECMO device to oxygenate her blood.
3) VAD (Berlin Heart) after open heart surgery.

The doctors tell us that a heart transplant for someone so young could take as much as a year. This brings me to a difficult request.
Please please PLEASE encourage any parent who has a child that is terminally ill to donate organs. An adult organ donor will not work on a child. There are far too many children on the transplant list that just die long before they should because of the lack of available donor organs. I know it is difficult to think of a child as a donor but that is what is needed. My niece is close to the top of the donor needs list but still there are many children that are in need. I want to start an organization to publicize this need.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to help children in need like this?

http://www.int2.tv/maddie
Greg
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

I'm so sorry to hear your news. My prayers are with you and your daughter. Don't give up hope; that's the most important thing at this moment. Please post more news if you feel you want to.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
binx
Member Extraordinaire

I second Ian's post

Post by binx »

Hang in there. Have you asked the staff about available resources? This looked to be an informational site: http://www.cota.org with links to other organizations.

binx
G.Shaw

Thank You

Post by G.Shaw »

Binx;
Thank you for the web link. I'm so closely involved in this that I cannot think at times!

Greg
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

My heart goes out to you and your family, Greg. I only wish it was the right size.

Quiet Mouse