Defiant Angel Relaunched

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Defiant Angel Relaunched

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

I know some might consider this blowing my own trumpet but I thought I’d just say Defiant Angel is back up & running…

http://www.defiant-angel.com/

As you'd expect from me its very libertarian however its not a personal site, I have asked people to write articles & contribute to the site but so far nobody has been willing to so.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

a fashion philosophy that’s non transgendered & non fetish that’s instead it’s based upon breaking fashion stereotypes & free male fashion expressionism.

Here you're not only find essays & articles on Men's Fashion Freedom but more importantly the kind of fashion merchants listed, which are likely to help any guy take up the philosophy of Men's Fashion Freedom.

I think the site may be a bit far left of where most people here are at: each area like fashion freedom, marijuana and nudism will have a small circle of members and where they all intersect is going to be a really tiny number of people!

I don't mean any offence, but if you could get someone else to edit your writing or do the writing themselves it's likely the site could benefit. The really dark look and crowded layout is like an underground shop and to me feels a bit claustrophobic. Even the font chosen is heavy and some of the letters squash together and make it hard to read. Lighten it up! And you may find people contribute something every now and again!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Right I've moved everything back to my personal site (for personal reasons) I'm sure you'll ***** about something or other to do with the site http://www.encaoua.net/. Yeah well at least I'm doing something unlike many who whine.
crfriend
Master Barista

Design, grammar, and editing

Post by crfriend »

ziggy_encaoua wrote:Right I've moved everything back to my personal site (for personal reasons) I'm sure you'll ***** about something or other to do with the site http://www.encaoua.net/. Yeah well at least I'm doing something unlike many who whine.
Ziggy, it wasn't about the content or the aims, it was about readability, coherent web design, and writing skills. If fonts are difficult to read, people won't read what you write; if the page renders in ways you don't expect on somebody else's browser in ways that make it hard to read, it won't get read; and if the grammar is so awful that it makes the reader cringe, he won't read it. Iain was offering constructive criticism there; accept it -- perhaps even embrace it -- and move on with the project.

On grammar: "a fashion philosophy that’s non transgendered & non fetish that’s instead it’s based upon breaking fashion stereotypes & free male fashion expressionism." That's difficult to read because the tenses don't match up correctly and there are excess words. Try this: "..a philosophy that's non-transgendered and non-fetish that's instead based on breaking fashion stereotypes and free male expressionism". That flows a bit better, doesn't it.

Over the years, I've learned that an additional set of eyes applied to something I'm writing for public presentation usually works wonders. Don't shy from that; you will certainly benefit from the experience at the end of the day.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

In my last but one job, writing minutes, reports, theses, etc. was part of my everyday tasks. I deliberately sought out constructive criticism from my boss, my peers or whoever had a spare moment. If you're going to take so much trouble to do something worthwhile, you lose nothing by listening to advice from folk who are 'on your side'. What do you gain? RESPECT. Pure & Simple!

(Oh, and a website admired by the folk who don't know you!)
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

My problem is I put time & effort into something & all you lot seem to do is *****. Its a little off putting you think jeez why should I put my head on the block for people who are just going to dis me. You know maybe people should be a little more grateful for the work I'm doing.
Sashi

Post by Sashi »

Well, as a web designer I have a forced myself to have a certain outlook on things web based. You aren't making the website for yourself, nor are you making the content for yourself. You are making it for the public, or whatever your target audience is. Therefore, you go the extra mile and put in more work than you usually would, because the public demands it. You give them 150% on everything you do, and when they ask for more you give it to them. It's not easy, it can even be a real pain, but keep this in mind: You are designing it for them, not you, therefore you need to give them what they want. If you are designing it just for yourself, it doesn't matter what others say, does it?

Of course you don't have to follow that mantra, but it sure will make your target audience happier. Good luck on all that by the way :ninjajig:

Just my two cents.
http://the-shining-path.blogspot.com
Hatred is learned, not inherited. Let a little child from Iraq play with a child from the United States, and they will play together without a care in the world. Put the children back in their homes and their parents and the media will teach them hate and prejudice.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

Have a look at this site http://www.zyra.org.uk/ the layout's crap but believe it or not that site earns its owner an awful lot of monet..so he says.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

Anyone should be able to build a site for their own amusement. Everyone does it and some of the results might be very good. Whatever the case, it's not done selflessly with great sacrifice, for the general good of other people; it's done to support one's own philosophy, like writing their own diary or decorating their own house. It's their business and nobody else's.

But there's a big difference between a private dwelling and a public meeting place. If people feel confused or uncomfortable in a public meeting place, they won't meet there. So when they run away, and you ask why they don't like it, and then when they tell you, you feel insulted and claim it's harmful to your cause, aren't you better off just doing your own thing and proving them wrong?

I can't see how zyra makes money from the site--I went through so many pages to find a car dealer that I eventually became confused and just gave up.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Don't be discouraged by the criticism, Ziggy, we're only trying to help. Your website is much more professional looking than mine which is free hosted by yahoo geocities. Like yours it is aimed at a wider audience and covers my other interests besides fashion freedom; indeed of 120 photo albums just one is dedicated to kilts, though some kilted photos also appear within my other albums of castles, airports etc.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

iain wrote: I can't see how zyra makes money from the site--I went through so many pages to find a car dealer that I eventually became confused and just gave up.
Well he claims he makes over a hundred grand.

But even weirder then Zyra's site is his mate Keith's site

http://www.xyroth.net/

which meant to make thousands of pounds & I can't figure out how it makes even one pence.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

cessna152towser wrote:Don't be discouraged by the criticism, Ziggy, we're only trying to help.
Well I'm glad just to hear that thanks :)
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

The key to creating these sites seems to be to put in a category for everything under the sun, wear a kilt, and then dye one's hair orange.

Next stop, the pub--to tell everyone how many hundreds of thousands are rolling in!
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Well my site doesn't earn me any money - but it doesn't cost me anything either as I get free web hosting since the web host benefits from the advertising revenue.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/