Hmm, Long time no post.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sarongman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sarongman »

Nice bit of gear for comfortable long distance touring---till the Toyota comes back on the scene.
trainman
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, Land Down Under!

Post by trainman »

Sarongman wrote:Nice bit of gear for comfortable long distance touring---till the Toyota comes back on the scene.
Um, kind of. I find all cars are a pain in the thighs if I'm driving for long enough. In comparison I once drove the Landcruiser for 14hours straight, not a single twinge. So really looking forward to getting another one!
Trainman is...

...Geek in Goth clothing!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

trainman wrote:I once drove the Landcruiser for 14hours straight, not a single twinge. So really looking forward to getting another one!
The other type of vehicle you might want to take a look at, if you don't require the heavy-duty bits of a 4x4, is a minivan. I drove minivans for about 20 years for a total of a shade more than a half-million miles, and I can unequivocally state that they make positively splendid "road cars". For one, you're sitting upright, not semi supine, and that's good for things like bad backs; the ride can range from good to superb depending on what you get, carrying capacity is better than your typical SUV (I travelled halfway across North America to pick up a pair of antique computers a few years ago, and it's really nice to be able to close the hatch atop a pair of 6' tall racks), and with all the seats installed there's always room for your friends on road-trips!

My second one (all that mileage was on two individuals) died a couple of years ago with slightly more than 300,000 miles on the clock and money matters precluded me from replacing it with a later model (that, and the company, Chrysler, discontinued the brand I like and then was bought out by Daimler Benz). :( Oh, well, the Nissan 240SX I drive now will have to do for a few more years.... There's something strange about the Nissan, though -- it attracts more attention than my skirts; I've had folks fawn all over the car and completely ignore the statistical anomaly standing next to it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
trainman

Post by trainman »

crfriend wrote:The other type of vehicle you might want to take a look at, if you don't require the heavy-duty bits of a 4x4, is a minivan. I drove minivans for about 20 years for a total of a shade more than a half-million miles, and I can unequivocally state that they make positively splendid "road cars".
Have considered them, but the ones we get here in Oz are just either plain dodgy, or cost far too much! I have looked at Toyota Tarago's and Mitsu Starwagons, but both seem cramped for width. And I have a serious dislike of front wheel drives, so that rules out the yankie stuff like the Voyager. Other than that the options are non existent.

I have been thiking about a smaller 4WD in the short term to help my back. But it seems most are really cramped inside, despite being so large outside. But I have found some thing suitable in the Holden Jackaroo (Izusu Trooper in brit I think). Just big enough for the drivers seat, and small enough to not be a major pain in parking lots like the Landcruiser's. Although I will say it could never get very far off the seriously beaten track.
Trainman is...

SkirtDude

Post by SkirtDude »

deleted
Last edited by SkirtDude on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sasquatch »

They quit making Astros/Safaris a couple years ago. Roomy vans, but lousy fuel efficiency. I had a hankerin' for one of the all-wheel-drive Safaris (GMC equiv) but won't do so now that fuel cost is a much larger issue. I'll feel better about myself driving a more efficient vehicle. Some friends in South America have a neat SUV - forget who makes it, some Korean company I think - but has a little Daimler Benz turbo diesel, about a 2 liter displacement, maybe smaller, very efficient. Their fuel has always cost two to four times what we Yanks pay.

I had a Nissan pickup for over twenty years. It was a simple, cheaply made vehicle, but was the most reliable and repair-free vehicle I ever had. I finally just wore it out and traded for a minivan - more useful for the family. But I miss that truck every day!
Sasq
Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Hunter/Garcia
trainman

Post by trainman »

Sasquatch wrote:...Some friends in South America have a neat SUV - forget who makes it, some Korean company I think - but has a little Daimler Benz turbo diesel, about a 2 liter displacement, maybe smaller, very efficient....
Wouldn't happen to be Ssangyong? We have had them out here for a while now. Our neighbours had one, and used it to tow their caravan (trailer to the yanks). According to them, dead reliable, and pulled like frieght train with the mercedes derived engine (no difference really, just it was made in Korea not Germany).
Trainman is...