thread killings

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
iain
Member Extraordinaire

thread killings

Post by iain »

i notice when i write a post the thread often just stops dead. suri once said the same thing about her posts. well, I think I counted 6 which ended in this way in the last few months. is this the law of averages, in that each thread has to stop with someone, or is it a high score?

since not much is going on on the site at the moment I thought I would see if anyone else feels they are a thread killer too, or, if perhaps since each thread must end somewhere, only the paranoid such as I would think such a thing.
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
Departed Member

Post by Departed Member »

iain wrote:i notice when i write a post the thread often just stops dead. suri once said the same thing about her posts. well, I think I counted 6 which ended in this way in the last few months. is this the law of averages, in that each thread has to stop with someone, or is it a high score?

since not much is going on on the site at the moment I thought I would see if anyone else feels they are a thread killer too, or, if perhaps since each thread must end somewhere, only the paranoid such as I would think such a thing.
Ah! Paranoia! When a politician makes a bold statement and........... nobody questions it!!! :ninjajig: Perhaps everyone agrees with you?

Maybe the lack of/reduction in postings in general stems from a belief that folk should only contribute to posts about things they agree with? Like on that site for the seemingly terminally insecure/paranoid, "X Marks"? My apologies to the few stalwarts there who have managed to tame (most of) the racists (anti-English!) and gun-totin', testosterone-fuelled would-be Celts, by the way! BUT, say anything remotely controversial there and you're banned (leaving the rest to boast to each other, their lack of underwear!)! :naughty:

Is there a similar feeling developing here? Do folk feel unable to offer their opinion if it differs from the original poster (or subsequent posters)? :think: Certainly, reading other sites, there does seem to be a common mis-perception that this site has degenerated into a crossdressing/femme approach. :eh: Now, WE know that the vast majority here don't 'beat that drum', but since the name change, I suspect that may have re-inforced their viewpoint. :shifty: Any thoughts, anyone? Anyone.....? :)
Milfmog

Post by Milfmog »

Iain,

According to the stats there are 4730 posts in 431 threads in the forums. You have posted 300 times (congrats on knocking up the 300th post by the way). So your posts represent approximately 6.34% of the total.

So, all things being equal, I'd expect 6.34% of threads, that's approximately 27 threads, to end with one of your posts.

I guess what you read into that is up to you, but you could argue that only having "killed" six threads instead of the 27 predicted by averages is evidence that your posts are so interesting / insulting / contentious / infuriating (*delete as appropriate :) ) that people feel the need to reply to you.

Have fun,

Ian.

PS: Aren't stats wonderful? They can be made to mean anything the author wants them to with a little effort :) :)

(I wonder if that process file has finished running yet?)
Do not argue with idiots; they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Cogito ergo sum - Descartes
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Other Stuff

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Iain,
Well done for shifting those topic titles. I was getting hacked off with seeing them, lol. :cheer:
Greg
iain
Member Extraordinaire

Post by iain »

how interesting!! although the law of averages isn't as applicable as it might seem--since I was only counting visible threads on the front screen and I've only been posting a couple of years! probably there are dozens of other stone-deads I've accomplished.

still, let me just kill this thread at least, then I'll be on my way!
The only thing man cannot endure is meaninglessness.
ziggy_encaoua
Member Extraordinaire

Post by ziggy_encaoua »

iain wrote:i notice when i write a post the thread often just stops dead. suri once said the same thing about her posts. well, I think I counted 6 which ended in this way in the last few months. is this the law of averages, in that each thread has to stop with someone, or is it a high score?

Sorry but you're being paranoid you know there's crap I write some times folks might want to respond to but other times what I say won't interest anybody..such is life.
G.Shaw

Perception....

Post by G.Shaw »

Well
I've noticed the same both here and over at the "Glass Enclosure". It's probably because I angered some folks by making a logical statement about respecting one's peers. Too bad that wasn't 'respected'. My impression is that people "tune me out" now. It is anyone's right and privilege to respond as they see fit and I will respect that. I've become more of a lurker but that's in my nature anyway.

Greg
LOL, FL
:cool: :think: :rolleyes:
Will

Post by Will »

G.Shaw wrote:Well
I've noticed the same both here and over at the "Glass Enclosure"....
Greg,

What is this "Glass Enclosure" you are talking about?
Sashi

Post by Sashi »

Yes, I feel like a thread killer myself. Since I have a tendency to lurk most of the time, I don't get around to posting too much. But it seems like I kill off too many threads for the small amount of posting I actually manage to accomplish. Never have tried figuring out how many threads I should logically kill off, just going by various stats, but it still seems like too many to me.

Incidentally, I need to visit here more often. I click on the New Posts link up top and this is one of the ones that pops up, even though it is nearly two days old...
http://the-shining-path.blogspot.com
Hatred is learned, not inherited. Let a little child from Iraq play with a child from the United States, and they will play together without a care in the world. Put the children back in their homes and their parents and the media will teach them hate and prejudice.
G.Shaw

Glass Enclosure=Atrium

Post by G.Shaw »

Will

Sorry family obligations have had me elsewhere than inside at the computer. I was making an odd reference to Chris' Atrium.

I don't frequent it much anymore as it's taken a turn toward areas I'm not personally comfortable with. There also tend to be some rather abusive attitudes toward posters that disagree with Transvestitism and Changing Gender. I get the feeling that many on that site are trying to 'pass' as female or preparing to 'become'. It isn't an area that I'm even remotely interested in and thus has really been a turn off to me.

I long for the old days when we had spirited discussion on 'freestyle' at the Atrium and 'Traditionalist' type of skirt wearing here. It does seem that both sites have changed quite dramatically since Chris turned into Kris over there and Tom passed on.

Greg
LOL, FL
crfriend
Master Barista

Glass houses...

Post by crfriend »

G.Shaw wrote:I was making an odd reference to Chris' Atrium.
Ah, yes, (Ch|K)ris' Atrium. I lurk over there from time to time, and have commented there occasionally, but generally find it a bit too "gender-bending" for my tastes. It used to be a spot where "out and out" (in an absolute sense) freestylers could express views and experiences but seems to have mutated beyond that into serving the "transgender" crowd. That's not me -- I'm just a bloke who chose to swap tr*users for skirts - nothing more, nothing less.
G.Shaw wrote:I long for the old days when we had spirited discussion on 'freestyle' at the Atrium and 'Traditionalist' type of skirt wearing here. It does seem that both sites have changed quite dramatically since Chris turned into Kris over there and Tom passed on.
Things change over time, and that's pretty much a given. I, personally, still feel that what "Tom's" became best suits the average guy who may wish to swap pants for skirts. It seems that we here don't adhere to the hyper-masculine notion of "kilts are the ONLY skirts permissible for males" and we don't "play games" with gender; we're guys, and we'll remain guys at the end of the day (and, with luck, our wives and girlfriends will accept us, hopefully with open arms).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Departed Member

crfriend wrote:we're guys, and we'll remain guys at the end of the day (and, with luck, our wives and girlfriends will accept us, hopefully with open arms).
Likewise! :clap: I'm just hoping that recent events, health-wise, will assist in persuading my 'other half' that my long-term standpoint on un-bifurcated clothing for men (well, me in particular!), has been justified, if as appears, a little too late to keep the urological surgeon at bay!

I've read much of interest on The Atrium, more to understand recently, if that's possible, the political intricacies of the USA. Other than that, I too, think it's now leaning too far towards the TG scene, to be relevant to most of the folk here. :think:

In some ways, it's far more 'honest' than "X Marks", as at least the few (Atrium) participants remaining are free to express their personal viewpoints, and don't need 'excuses' to wear Kilts/skirts. Reading some of the "X Marks" posts has even put me 'off' drinking (my beloved) Single Malts, let alone wearing my Kilts regularly. I'm seriously p*ssed off with folk who claim their 'affiliation' to 'all things celtic' citing Irish, Scots and Welsh 'origins' and going around 'honoring their Kilts' (- what's that all about, then? :confused: ). There are still far more 'English' with celtic origins in the UK than either of the two latter countries - I know, I'm one of 'em, 'cept I'm 'British', so there! :ninjajig:
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

<< Thread Killer

Post by Since1982 »

I can only HOPE I was a thread killer on the entire "Only pushy people own SUV's" thread. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Departed Member

Since1982 wrote:I can only HOPE I was a thread killer on the entire "Only pushy people own SUV's" thread. :)

Don't think so, Skip! Not by a long way, looking at the interest it's raised!

By and large, I think that thread has been very valuable in highlighting the different perceptions we all have relating to folk's behaviour in general, in our local (extremely varied) domains. In some ways, our vehicles are just another layer of 'clothing' which may well affect the way we act in relationship to others in our respective communities. This subject (SUV/4WD) is very big in the UK, right now. Better still, it's a 'cross-party' issue. But remember, it's only the bad/in-considerate drivers who've got these vehicles into such dis-repute - which is bl**dy annoying for those who really need them (and are now ever so likely to see their taxes raised as a result of the urban buffoons behaviour!).