A question of etiquette

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

A question of etiquette

Post by crfriend »

A couple of days back, I may have committed a breach of etiquette about skirts, and I'd like to know the opinions of the lads here.

Here's the scene:

I was down at my local watering-hole when a waitress/bartender that used to work there came in wearing a mini-skirt that could be best described as a "wide belt". My wife and I have been on good terms with her for quite a while, but I decided to ask a "technical question" (in the absence of my wife): "How do you 'manage' such a short skirt in public?" The context was that since she knows that I wear skirts, and was wearing one at the time, what might I need to be aware of if I am to gather the courage to wear a 17-incher* in public?

Make note, I never asked what should be worn under a mini-skirt, but rather how one should handle them in public.

Did I cross a line there? (Being rather, well, "stewed", I wasn't as "inhibited" as I usually am, and since my wife hasn't worn anything shorter than long pants in ages I thought I had no other source.)

Her reaction, was actually very honest and refreshing -- and I made it a point to ask if I was overstepping. She said it's all about being aware of everything you do, and everything around you, and taking all that into account when you move. She also mentioned that it was "a lot of work", but it was also "certainly worth it".

Methinks that even if I "stepped over the line" I got some darned good technical advice.

* Seventeen inches sounds like a lot if you're five-foot-ten -- it's a heck of a lot less if you're six-foot-four.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Skirt Chaser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Skirt Chaser »

crfriend wrote:"How do you 'manage' such a short skirt in public?" The context was that since she knows that I wear skirts, and was wearing one at the time, what might I need to be aware of if I am to gather the courage to wear a 17-incher* in public?
Given that she knew you and your interest in skirts the conversation went fine even if it wouldn't pass muster with Miss Manners. At least you didn't phrase it, "how do you manage a 17-incher?" :rolleyes:

However, even in a skirt yourself or prefacing with "I want to wear a skirt that short so I want to know how..." could go far wrong with a stranger though. Even for a woman not discombobulated by the idea of a microminied man I think the general reaction would be wondering why you don't just try one on and learn for yourself like most everybody else does. I'm sure women dressed like that get asked the question a lot by men just wanting to be discussing her underwear or cheeks.

Quiet Mouse, who can't even master modesty in ankle length dresses :(
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Crossed tbe line

Post by Since1982 »

Carl, in my opinion, you only crossed the line if the lady you asked acted like you did. As she didn't act that way, your question was fine. The help you got will certainly help you and she was happy, you were happy so no line was crossed. :)
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/