Help Requested.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
rose

Help Requested.

Post by rose »

hi,Iam astudent and my teacher asked us to prepare some articales for atest our teacher is very harsh ,she give us alist of articales to write on 3
1-the dangrous of Tv
2-poverity
3-loyalty
4-money
5-a sad day in my life
can any one help me
thanks I wait your answers
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

As an ex-TV engineer, I take a slightly different view on the dangers of TV. First, do not remove the back of the TV set and put your hand inside. You may receive a large electric shock which could kill you. Second, TV sets can be heavy and may injure you if you try to lift them by yourself.

It it said that watching too much TV can affect your eyesight and/or make you fat (a couch potatoe) because you sit down for a long time and probably eat junk food (I don't mean you Rose :) )

When you are watching TV, some programmes will tell you "Do not try this at home". Sometimes the stunt they are showing is not possible to do at home, such as walking a tightrope across a crocodile-infested swamp.

Perhaps the most obvious danger of TV is the violence they show. Some people will go out and try to copy the violence they have seen on TV. Fortunately these incidents are rare.

Hope this helps

Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
DanR

The Evils of Television

Post by DanR »

Try this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/068808 ... oding=UTF8

Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television by Jerry Mander
(and no, I'm not making up the author's name)

or:

Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/014009 ... e&n=283155

Having provided these two diatribes about the evils of television, I must also say that the medium can be used effectively for good as well as can any method of distribution of information intended for the masses, such as books, newspapers, radio, or even...wait for it...the Internet.

If you don't think I'm serious, check out:
Tales From the Afternow, by Sean Kennedy
http://www.theafternow.com
It's an audio drama about the collapse of society in a future where information is tightly controlled and people need a listener's license to even read a book. Libraries are outlawed. DRM anyone?
Dan Richardson
The CitySkirt Company
crfriend
Master Barista

Television evil?

Post by crfriend »

DanR wrote:Having provided [...] two diatribes about the evils of television, I must also say that the medium can be used effectively for good as well as can any method of distribution of information intended for the masses, such as books, newspapers, radio, or even...wait for it...the Internet.
Calling television "evil" is, I believe, giving it too much credit. It's mostly a reflector of the society that created it -- and it's come in for some rather hilarious commentary, at least in the US, in the past.

For instance, there's Newton Minnow's wonderful "vast wasteland" commentary on the matter -- and he was then-chairman of the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC). There was also the famous comment of, "Television must be a medium -- it's neither rare nor well-done."

The biggest problem with it is that it saps the imaginative juices out of the folks who spend too much time glued to it and renders them incapable of introspective thought and reflection -- not to mention the ability to "amuse themselves" when the thing is off.

Oh, you didn't mean that kind of TV? {shrug}
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!