Under-arm-hair

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ash

Under-arm-hair

Post by Ash »

Hi all,

As someone who took to hair-free legs like the proverbial duck to water, on the spur of the moment over the festive period I removed my underarm hair. I've noticed a few interesting things since doing so. Firstly, I use less deodorant simply because I dont' seem to need so much. Secondly, I get much less irritation as a result, and generally it does feel much more comfortable, even allowing for the novelty effect.

So clear have been the positives resulting from my mad moment of experimentation that it set me thinking (oh dear!)
I wonder if women began to remove underarm hair for hygeine reasons initially, because of the inneffectiveness of deodorant before our modern times and gradually over time, fashion flipped over and it became an aesthetic imperative. Less enlightened men stereotypically look with scorn and revulsion now at women who have visible underarm hair, and it's often used as a racial slur too.
In the same way that men (and women, but less so) in the 18th century shaved their heads then put on powdered wigs because of lice and other infestations, maybe the practice of shaving armpits derives from similar motives and then became an image/fashion thing.
Any comments from out there?

All best wishes,
Ash
Daring to be different.
ChrisM
Member Extraordinaire

Similar results

Post by ChrisM »

I took the same step last summer as part of preparing myself for the hot and sticky weather experienced on the US East Coast.

I have been 100% pleased with the results. In addition to those mentioned by Ash, I add that I soil my shirts much less than previously.

Yet, like so many things, it's a step American men are afraid of, because it might be 'girly.' Golly what a burden of nonsense we have piled upon ourselves.

Chris
CharlesG

Post by CharlesG »

Boy, Ash, you sure know how to open a can of worms. I also did the unthinkable 9 years ago and also noticed that I didn't require as much deodorant because the hair wasn't there to trap all the nasty perspiration.
Regards,
Charlie
Skirts, A NEW freedom for men to pursue.
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

Hi all,

I've been shaving my underarms [and everything from the neck down] since the early '80s when I was living in Tucson Arizona. You're right... you use much less deodorant. Also, by shaving all body hair [except for my head] it seems much cooler in hot weather. In my case, I like the looks and feel of it. Looks much better with kilts and skirts, too!

--Rick
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

deodorant

Post by Since1982 »

What's deodorant????? :crazyeyes:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
talon2mech

Post by talon2mech »

Body hair is disgusting. I am sure before humans invented clothing it was necessary. To me there is nothing more disgusting than seeing a guy who looks like the "missing link".

I get rid of everything and I'm with you Ash, it makes the underarm area a bit more hygenic.
-Matt
Ash

Moving along......

Post by Ash »

Hi folks,

What a brilliant response! Thanks guys.
I'm compelled to add that I found my way to my armpits via my chest, which I was de-hairing at the time. I'm aflicted by uneven chest coverage (what little there is), so if I don't remove the chest hair, it makes me look very lop-sided, most of the hair being confined to the right side.
It is extraordinary how something so simple and obvious to us enlightened few can seem so unsettling to others. It's a long road we are a-travelling along.

Slightly off-topic but indulge me: I'm heading into the city centre Saturday morning to have a skirt I've taken a liking to in M&S put by for me until I get paid next Tuesday. I've every intention of going skirted, as long as my nerve doesn't fail me at the last minute. If I go early in the morning it shouldn't be too busy. This will be the first time that I will have done anything quite as openly as this. Though I expect I'll keep the armpits under wraps! At least the shop staff won't be under any illusions about who the skirt is for this time!!
(Gulp!)

All best wishes,

Ash
Daring to be different.
CharlesG

Post by CharlesG »

Ash wrote: Slightly off-topic but indulge me: I'm heading into the city centre Saturday morning to have a skirt I've taken a liking to in M&S put by for me until I get paid next Tuesday. I've every intention of going skirted, as long as my nerve doesn't fail me at the last minute. If I go early in the morning it shouldn't be too busy. This will be the first time that I will have done anything quite as openly as this. Though I expect I'll keep the armpits under wraps! At least the shop staff won't be under any illusions about who the skirt is for this time!!
(Gulp!)

All best wishes,

Ash
Good luck!
I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience!
Regards,
Charlie
Skirts, A NEW freedom for men to pursue.
Since1982
Member Extraordinaire
Location: My BUTT is Living in the USA, and sitting on the tip of the Sky Needle, Ow Ow Ow!!. Get the POINT?

Good Luck Ash

Post by Since1982 »

I think you'll find the same thing I did, the first time I left my house wearing an actual skirt I was covertly looking at everyone to see who would say what first. I was having daydreams of being attacked and beaten by hordes of rednecks and skinheads and homeless beating youths, well, none of this happened, it was just a non-event..I couldn't believe it, I thought I might be experiencing hysterical invisibility. I looked down and lo and behold, my skirt was still there and no one had noticed. This was a real skirt too, not a knee length denim invisible (could be shorts) skirt. I was wearing a dark blue khaki mid calf straight skirt with front patch pockets, a dark blue Tshirt and loafers.
Noooo problem, I was amazed that no one seemed to care. That was about a year ago and now, when I go to shopping or to Bingo, I'm just another shopper or player and the only conversation I get is if I am NOT wearing a skirt...I still own ONE pair of cutoff jeans for when the skirts are all in the dirty wash. :) ;) :cool: :clap:
I had to remove this signature as it was being used on Twitter. This is my OPINION, you NEEDN'T AGREE.

Story of Life, Perspire, Expire, Funeral Pyre!
I've been skirted part time since 1972 and full time since 2005. http://skirts4men.myfreeforum.org/
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Ash,

Just do it. There's no big deal.

Anyway, I'm with ya on the armpits and the chest hair... Am thinking I'll wax the chest and stomach hairs next time around, though. Also need to get my back waxed, since it's too hairy and itchy. Also has an odd pattern to it where the spinal cord area is bald and the sides of the back are fully forested.
-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
The Satirist

Post by The Satirist »

The way I understand it, the popularity of women shaving came about when Hollywood showed women in sleeveless fashions. Somewhere in the early part of the 20th century Gillette started to advertise towards women, preying on their desires to be like the stars of the day. Personally I like my hair. I have shaved every part of myself at one time or another, but usually its just too time consuming for me to bother with. I also don't like the look or feel of the stubble on various parts of my body. I personally don't care who shaves or doesn't, but I think that the look, feel, and scent of being all natural is better for women and men.
Freedom since July 3, 2004.

Genius can be recreated - Stupidity is irreplaceable. -The Satirist 2004-
Ash

Skirting non-event

Post by Ash »

Hi all,

Skip, what you describe is almost exactly what I experienced Saturday morning when I ventured out into the city in a long denim skirt. No one appeared to notice. After only a short time I had ceased to notice too!

In M&S while having a skirt reserved for payday, the sales assistant couldn't get the till to work properly and she became very flustered. I doubt whether she even noticed what I was wearing.

All in all, it was a very positive experience which left me smiling for the whole weekend. Funny how a total non-event can leave you feeling on top of the world.

All best wishes,

Ash
Daring to be different.
kiltlovinglass

Post by kiltlovinglass »

I think that shaving is perfectly acceptable. I mean, when you first think about it, it sounds a little weird, like when some of my swimmer friends tell me they shave all of their bodies. But then, you think beyond the superficial, and it makes sense. If it keeps you cooler, or reduces odor, or deodorant use, if it makes you feel better, by all means!
I think a shaved man is a lot less offputting than a massively hairy man, if we're going extremes here.

Oh, alright, don't shave it all off, a little reminder of your brawny masculinity is good.
Down with Pants! Up with Kilts!
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Body hair retains sweat. No body hair means generally that one smells a bit sweeter :-))
Greg
stevemark65

Post by stevemark65 »

I have been shaving my underarms, chest and stomach for many years. I don't use as much deodorant, my shirts last longer and I feel better without all that hair.