Test Positive for COVID-19

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Test Positive for COVID-19

Post by Ray »

Faldaguy, you make a good point about holidays having a massive impact on travel. I had forgotten that. It’s a shame that the drive for productivity has such collateral impact.

You ask about denying the freedom to go anywhere. I think that with things like Covid, there are bigger issues at stake. Would you encourage open borders with Brazil, current lab for Covid variants? To quote a Star Trek line, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Putting that to one side, I do agree with the general thrust of your comment.

Moon, having been to 10 states myself, I can understand why the US could be seen as having enough geographical variation within its borders to satisfy many. What it doesn’t have is cultural variation, and that’s where we are incredibly fortunate in Europe in having a wide diversity of cultures in a relatively compact area.

As ever in the Café, I learn.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:11 am Moon, you seem to be feeling awfully sensitive for a guy who has currently chosen to ignore the politics of his land in favor of leading a decent life!
Perhaps, but who would be against leading a decent life? I'll continue to get involved in my own way. I still vote with my wallet on many matters (that's really the only one that actually counts). The current GOP is more than willing to accept me into their fold, provided I'm willing to swear allegiance to Donald Trump, and since I don't swear allegiance to individual people (we're not a monarchy after all), then I can't sit at their table.

I am a liberal, but more of a "Bill Maher" kind of liberal, and that puts me outside of many leftist circles too. So currently, people like me really don't have options on election day.

Simply put, there just aren't candidates that represent anything close to the type of person I am. I could vote third party, or do as Carl suggest and write in "no acceptable candidate", but lets face it, the former is a waste of time, they don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of winning anything past a small town council seat, or a county board... maybe, the latter message can be sent just as effectively by staying home. Since I tend to work long hours on short notice, my only option to vote means I have to wake up at 5AM to be at the polls and back again in time to go to work. That's asking a lot of someone who doesn't fancy mornings to begin with, only to either a) vote for a third party that can't win, or b) just cast a blank ballot.

When they put a atheist woman on the ballot, I'll wake up and cast my vote for her, and I don't care what letter she puts after her name. Until then, I have no interest in participating in this idolizing popularity contest between two men trying to "out Jesus" each other all the while fighting over who has the bigger d!ck. Thus, if an atheist woman tries to run, I may participate in a PRIMARY ELECTION. As for non-religious women, myself and a few others are currently trying to talk a woman we know into running for the 9th Congressional district of Virginia. She's quick witted, smart, progressive, has some good ideas, and checks the "none" box on the religion question.

So I'm not really "giving up", but I am giving up on this present horse and pony show.
Ray wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:04 am Moon, having been to 10 states myself, I can understand why the US could be seen as having enough geographical variation within its borders to satisfy many. What it doesn’t have is cultural variation, and that’s where we are incredibly fortunate in Europe in having a wide diversity of cultures in a relatively compact area.
I am genuinely curious as to the 10 states you visited, there are 40 more to explore. When you say we don't have cultural variation, I'm left to wonder how much of America have you actually seen? Politically, America is represented by mostly one religion, and mostly white men, or people who act like white men. So that much is true, but across the actual landscape, virtually every single culture in the world can be found somewhere in America. Go to any medium sized city, anywhere (even in Tennessee) and you'll find evangelical street preachers, transgender people, people of all types of ethnicities,religions, backgrounds, you'll find women wearing hijabs, prairie skirts, men wearing kilts, suits and ties, skirts, people who speak with a vast array of accents and dialects, people who flat out speak other languages, basically every single major establishment offers signage in at least two languages (English and Spanish). I've seen all of the above on a good day in Johnson City Tennessee.

In addition to that, many of us take in plenty of world events and culture, and I'm not just talking about on TV. We read magazines and other periodicals, take in world news. We have free libraries stocked with virtually anything you'd want to read about from all over the world, and to the beginning of recorded history, we have museums filled with historical artifacts. Many people have served in the military and have seen A LOT of the world. Yes, we have some xenophobes in our country, and they tend to make headlines. But do not judge us by what you see on our airwaves or what you hear. Most people here are all right. The news is only going to report on the extraordinary happenings. They're not going to report on the mundane.

And then there is religion and spirituality. Despite the current makeup of our government, while a slight majority of our populous is Christian, Evangelicals actually make up a very small fraction of the overall whole. They just make the most noise. Even among Christians, we have thousands of denominations represented. And then there are the other religions, we've got them from all over the world, from the Eastern traditions, to Judaism, Islam, old European Pagan, modern day Wiccan (which was hatched in England BTW), all kinds of odd ball culty religions, Native American customs, agnostics, African Voodoo, Satanism, New Age, spiritual, the Church of Trump, the list goes on and on...

America is NOT accurately depicted when you watch those old 1960's sitcoms like "Leave it to Beaver" "Father knows Best", etc. Yes, those cultures do exist, but they are in the extreme minority.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:39 pmAmerica is NOT accurately depicted when you watch those old 1960's sitcoms like "Leave it to Beaver" "Father knows Best", etc. Yes, those cultures do exist, but they are in the extreme minority.
Indeed, but that's the world the reactionaries want to go back to instead of moving forward. Face it, that's the only world that the ancient rich white guys know; anything else terrifies them -- so they enforce their will, or at least attempt to.

What's the most obscene line ever uttered on US television?

"Ward, I think you were a little hard on the beaver last night."

On the topic of where I've been in the US at the state-level granularity, it's easier to point up the ones in the continental 48 that I haven't visited or passed through, and they'd be Kentucky, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. In digging through personal memory, a railroad atlas, and other bits, I've at least been present on the ground in all of those (and got there on the ground; flying doesn't count).

Outside the US, I've only been to the Canadian Maritimes, drove through New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, ferried over to Newfoundland, drove up the western side, crossed the Northern Peninsula to visit the historical Viking site at Lanse aux Medows, visited Labrador briefly, then returned home. That was an exquisite trip; the people were wonderful and friendly, the scenery spectacular, and I got to see lots of new things. Hopefully some day I'll be able to go back again and maybe spend more time -- but time is a problem as I'm a wage-slave who works 50-60 hour weeks because my employer demands it. Why? Because they can -- and there is no such thing as labour law in the US any longer to prevent it or make them pay proper compensation.

On leisure time in the US for the working class: At no point in history since the beginning of the 20th Century has the average worker put in more hours per week and had less time off -- and it continues to get worse. Nowadays, if you've got a job that pays half-decently you're damned lucky -- and employers are playing that to the hilt because they can. And no reason for doing something that will injure others is baser than, "Because we can."

Compare and contrast to the nations in Europe -- and before lighting off the whine about taxes, remind yourselves that the Europeans get something in return for their taxes, not just more tax bills; and they also don't pay all that much more than the workers in the US pay. As an experiment -- and prepare to be disgusted by it -- add up what gets sent to your state and to DC both in terms of wage-garnishing ("withholding") and added tax, then add in all the sales, excise, and property taxes (cars included) paid, assorted licensees and fees, and all other income that you are compelled to pay out -- and figure out what it adds up to.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:01 pm What's the most obscene line ever uttered on US television?

That may have been true in the 60s and 70s but it is no longer true. Most of today's TV shows are full of swear words and sexual lines that you might think there aren't any laws about broadcast indecencies.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pmMost of today's TV shows are full of swear words and sexual lines that you might think there aren't any laws about broadcast indecencies.
True enough, but modern times aren't the times of yore and television mainly exists as a mind-control mechanism to lead the sheep where the controllers want the sheep instead of what could pass for "entertainment".
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:48 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pmMost of today's TV shows are full of swear words and sexual lines that you might think there aren't any laws about broadcast indecencies.
True enough, but modern times aren't the times of yore and television mainly exists as a mind-control mechanism to lead the sheep where the controllers want the sheep instead of what could pass for "entertainment".
True Entertainment on the BOOB TUBE has long ago disappeared. What passes for entertainment is as you say just the strings of the controllers being pulled. I have seen some of my favorite shows go from being funny to spouting the party line in just a few weeks. What I watch now are shows from the past many years in the past. Shows such as, "The Lone Ranger", "The Addams Family", "Hogans Heroes" and the like. I also enjoy shows about nature and science. I seldom watch shows on the major networks. And I do not watch sports shows.

Just my two cents worth and not a farthing more..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Some of the previous forbidden words are now in common broadcast TV use i.e. b-tch and son of thereof --- b-stard --- a$$ --- these are some

The 4 lettered words are uttered mostly on late night shows and then BLEEPED.

Movies are labeled with a PG and R codes so you would expect that there would be a license to use them freely

Try and cover the ears of the young one's is of no use - kids aren't saying the darnest things anymore it is more like common family talk - Ahem where are the parents ?
Last edited by r.m.anderson on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I don't think they got it Carl... :wink: :lol:

Note the lowercase "b" in beaver...

Ain't no way a millennial would have survived middle school with such a name as "Beaver"... :P
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:07 pmAin't no way a millennial would have survived middle school with such a name as "Beaver"... :P
Or anybody in the 1960s, either. The slang was well understood then. Hence my comment about the line of dialogue.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:39 pm
crfriend wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:01 pm What's the most obscene line ever uttered on US television?

That may have been true in the 60s and 70s but it is no longer true. Most of today's TV shows are full of swear words and sexual lines that you might think there aren't any laws about broadcast indecencies.
I can see "over the air" broadcast being held to a "G" or at least PG-13 standard, as just about anyone could tune in, this goes for radio too. But I think on subscription services they should be free to say or do whatever they want. I get annoyed when Pandora bleeps out certain words of songs I like... I'm on the paid (commercial free) service, I'm a big boy now... I can handle the cussin. Some songs sound stupid when they're censored.

I like what George Carlin said... those who object to what they hear on the TV or radio... "that's what the dial is for!"

Hell, I've heard a lot worse passing by thugs at busy parking lots while wearing skirts...

And I get REALLY annoyed when *puritan politicians push to sterilize the internet in the name of "children's safety" *spit* G-d damned nanny state... :x Little Tommy or Susie doesn't need a smart phone at the ripe old age of nine. Give them a computer at put a blocker on it if they're that bothered by what's on the internet. If parents would actually PARENT instead of letting the computer do the parenting for them, we wouldn't have this problem to start with!

*As if they are really puritan... seems many of them eventually get busted having homosexual relations in public bathroom stalls away from their wives, of whom they probably haven't so much as kissed in 15 years or better...
-Andrea
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Moon,

I have been to the following:

New York State
New Jersey
Illinois
Georgia
Arizona
Nevada
Utah
Colorado
California
Hawaii

(Edited - one out, one in!)

When I mentioned cultural differences or variations, I wasn’t referring to the variation of people in any one city or state; I’m referring to whole differences between countries.

In the USA, I get the sense that you all unite behind the flag. You are - by and large - religious (Christian). You speak English, with other languages fitting in, notably Spanish. In moving around the USA, I never felt that I was in a different country. Hawaii was the closest to an exception. There’s a unity despite state differences. You are all American.

Contrast that with Europe, with upwards of 30 different countries, most with their own unique language. It goes further. Each country has a differing culture, architecture, food culture, wine history...and so on. Europe just isn’t as homogenous as the USA. Travel from the U.K. to France, Germany and Italy (which I have - on one day) and the whole experience is wildly different in each country.

Scandinavian countries have similarities. But go from Estonia to Greece; from the Republic of Ireland to Portugal. It’s a complete transformation in culture.

I hope this helps clarify the point I was trying to make.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

That's fair Ray.

But I do maintain that must of us do at least try to stay up to date on the events of the world, geography, history, etc. As for travel, I myself would love to travel around the world. Lots of us Americans often dream of that, and many of us envy other Americans who do.

Someday I'll get around to it.

And for what it's worth, I suppose you had a pretty fair sampling of America with the ten states you posted.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ray wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 pm In the USA, I get the sense that you all unite behind the flag. You are - by and large - religious (Christian). You speak English, with other languages fitting in, notably Spanish. In moving around the USA, I never felt that I was in a different country. Hawaii was the closest to an exception. There’s a unity despite state differences. You are all American.

Contrast that with Europe, with upwards of 30 different countries, most with their own unique language. It goes further. Each country has a differing culture, architecture, food culture, wine history...and so on. Europe just isn’t as homogenous as the USA. Travel from the U.K. to France, Germany and Italy (which I have - on one day) and the whole experience is wildly different in each country.
Honestly, I say a lot of that has to do with our federal standards. Things like interstate layouts, dimensions, license plate sizes, various codes, and other federal oversights.

Different states do seem to have their own little flares and cultures. Probably not to the extent that you have in Europe, but it's there. I assume by the scattered states you visited , you must have visited them by plane. You should drive it, and don't take the interstate, take the old U.S. and State highway system.

And before you think that all State highways are the same... next time you're in eastern Kentucky, peel off and follow KY Highway 199... take a 4 wheel drive, you'll need it. If you're following state routes, you can tell when you cross a state line, you don't need a sign. Even within states there are cultural and architectural differences. Western Virginia is significantly different that eastern Virginia.

Here's a little something of the Appalachian heritage (a destination left off your list)... bet you didn't find anything like this in Illinois or New York! :wink:

https://youtu.be/i0rHP3Ct9bs I actually think I have been by there... the road looks familiar.

I gotta say, I know I rail on about the religious corruption a lot here, but sounds like what is in the video above just makes me smile. That's what good church is supposed to be. Betcha won't find that in France or Germany.... :lol:

I actually visited a Holiness church once when I was about 17. I was invited by a friend in high school. I agreed and we traveled way up in a Bedford County hollar that I never knew existed. I'll admit, the beliefs are little odd... but my God those folks could sing and pick a banjo!

I'm sorry Ray, but you haven't visited America if you haven't visited Appalachia... :mrgreen:
-Andrea
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by moonshadow » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:06 pm

That's fair Ray.

But I do maintain that must of us do at least try to stay up to date on the events of the world, geography, history, etc. As for travel, I myself would love to travel around the world. Lots of us Americans often dream of that, and many of us envy other Americans who do.

Someday I'll get around to it.

And for what it's worth, I suppose you had a pretty fair sampling of America with the ten states you posted.
I have to echo Ray's comments. I grew up in Iowa, Oregon, Washington, and Florida primarily. As a youth I spent time in Hawaii, CN, IL, NC, TN, CO. and CA. I have always, even as a youth, had a keen interest in politics and diplomacy -- following these things far more actively than most adults even (though that is not a very high bar) BUT, it was not until I moved to Canada in my mid- 20's that I really began to understand there is a lot more diversity in this world. My point, is that despite some Americans having a keen awareness of issues and the presence of people with many varied ethnic, language, religious and educational backgrounds that you correctly pointed out can be found in the US -- it is still an extremely insular country, with a surprising ability to control the the messages.

Frankly, I would go so far as to say it is nearly impossible to become truly cognizant of the diversity on this planet; and more so to recognize how steeped the US is in a "single" brine, without spending at least a couple of years living outside of it, in more than one other country -- and that does not include the equally singular world view from postings on military bases; corporate offices abroad; destination resorts; and airports in route. I say this as a Yank. Even with about 25 years now abroad distributed over several countries, mostly developed, I still feel stifled and know that my vision is always colored by my Red, White and Blue upbringing. Your quick defense of the US in the terms described affirms what Ray was noting in his first line about
"you all unite behind the flag"
-- which in itself is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does speak to the tunnel vision of Americans as a whole.

It not so much the people, but Carl's nemesis the Oligarchs along with Ronald Reagan’s 1987 revocation of the Fairness Doctrine, and Bill Clinton's 1996 Telecommunications Act that most recently exacerbated control of information to an even greater degree. Also along the line of Carl's lament -- few in the US have the time, to use your words;
"to stay up to date on the events of the world, geography, history,
in part because most Americans are so busy sustaining a job(s) they have no time to study and travel -- inclined or not.

BTW, Moon -- you may have taken me wrong; I am not against leading a decent life -- I am admiring of it, and I share your sense that sadly that there is no real choice in casting your vote, albeit the 2016 and 2020 US Presidential elections may be responsible for a substantial difference. (Any wonder why the Republicans are so bent on more voters restrictions and gerrymandering -- they don't want Moon to sneak in a vote at 5:00 am!) I am inclined to think that leading a decent life in your home community is one of the few effective things anyone can do presently to improve this world.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You're al thoughtful man Faldaguy.
Faldaguy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:35 am
"to stay up to date on the events of the world, geography, history,
in part because most Americans are so busy sustaining a job(s) they have no time to study and travel -- inclined or not.
I think Americans, like most other people have more time now than they have in times past. Employment hours seem to hover around the 35-65 hour range per week. I believe it's really always been this way since the industrial revolution. One thing that has changed is the amount of household chores that have to be completed. During the first part of the 20th century and prior, life was a full time job. These days we don't have to take our own wheat to the mill, we don't have to go through the trouble of slaughtering our own livestock and putting up canned goods. Nowadays these practices are more cultural hobbies rather than a necessity for survival.

Honestly, in my opinion, Americans probably have too much time on their hands. Judging from the number of people who binge on television constantly, Facebook, [skirt cafe... *raises hand- guilty], thubbing cell phones, playing video games. We have plenty of time. I myself work a full time job with an hour per day deducted for commute, and I have an on call rotation I have to take every so often, and I'm satisfied with the amount of free time I have. I don't know of anyone who literally works over 60 hours per week generally, and those who do, only do so occasionally.

Also, I know a lot of Americans that like to work. They seem to live for work, and there's a saying around here, "if you like what you do, you'll never work a day in your life!"
Faldaguy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:35 am I still feel stifled and know that my vision is always colored by my Red, White and Blue upbringing. Your quick defense of the US in the terms described affirms what Ray was noting in his first line about
I think you and Ray are misinterpreting my "defense" of the U.S. My overall national mood right now is the result of political overload about a month ago, switched OFF ALL NEWS, even the local stuff. I haven't had a political discussion with anyone since the beginning of March, with no desire to, even rushed my father off the phone (to the point of starting a generator while he was talking) when he started to complain of "migrants stealing his covid vaccine (that he doesn't want anyway). The result was I took my eyes off the articles and news reels, and instead looked across the horizon before me, and just started to notice the good in what I saw, rather than the bad.

I was losing myself to it Faldaguy. I don't want to become my father, or a "liberal version" of him. I don't want a political rant to be my icebreaker whenever I meet someone new. I don't want to log into off topic here and post partisan memes and such. The situation I observe in our nation was making me angry, and extremely cynical.

I'll come back to politics when I master the art of keeping it out of my soul.
Faldaguy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:35 am I am inclined to think that leading a decent life in your home community is one of the few effective things anyone can do presently to improve this world.
... true, and it's much more spiritually satisfying than binging on the political side of social media, or subscription news.

I'm sorry my friend, but happiness is a much more pleasant addiction than strife. I've got enough stress generating factors in my life, I don't need to worry about sending up a burned offering to Donald Trump or kissing the ass of the local Democratic Party just to get a yard sign...
-Andrea