First white Christmas

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First white Christmas

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:16 am
moonshadow wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:13 amLooks like it's downright dreadful in D.C.....
Who cares.
I'm in the DC area right now. There are real people in the area one might care about.

But there was nothing dreadful. Rained hard at times on Christmas Eve, then stayed about freezing all day Christmas. I went for a good walk in the woods with my brother and son. I wore an ankle-length black denim skirt for the walk.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:46 pm
crfriend wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:16 amWho cares.
I'm in the DC area right now. There are real people in the area one might care about.
Sorry. That was borne from altogether too much BS coming from DC in the past several months years and was unfeeling.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

75"Aussie, fun is not a word I would necessarily use for driving in snow. It can be quite scary in the least. Black ice is no fun trying to brake and seeing the car in front approaching rather too fast for one's liking and able to do very little to slow the car. The relief when you do stop without collision is palpable. And driving through narrow country roads made narrower through drifted snow and with hedges overladen with snow ready to fall. Not fun at all. Even motorways can be a nightmare with stopping distances at last 3 or 4 times more than usual and compacted snow tending to move the car in a direction you don't want it to go. No not fun.

Carl, the BS has moved south for the winter. I seems he's ready to try his attempted coup on 6th January even though it stands little chance of success. Oh happy days.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Sinned, In your meaning of the word fun, you are correct.
Perhaps my sarcastic use of the word has confused you, if so, my apologies.

I used the word in a "yeah right" manner, as it wasn't that much fun in reality. A bit like where does the road actually go as well as slushy.
As for driving on ice and black ice, I have zero experience there give the locales of my youth and today, but I can see how you'd be a passenger in your car at the mercy of momentum and gravity. I have memories of seeing pictures on the TV as a kid, when they had snow in Dunedin ("Dunners") New Zealand, where on some occasions cars would lose control coming down the hill into the city.
If I ever have to face such an issue, I'll take the option of staying indoors.

I do remember one small patch of frost on the road into where we lived in Christchurch, New Zealand that I used to practice rear wheel drive power slides on....the things we do when we're young and dumb...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

72", oh, no confusion, I did get your meaning and I have used the word fun in much the same circumstances. You are lucky that you have not experienced the almost literally heart stopping moment when, in snow or ice, you apply the brakes nd nothing happens. Even though you are travelling at a slow speed you can see the rear end of the car in front approaching and visions of your no-claims bonus going up in smoke. Then at the very last minute some semblance of grip is found and you come to a halt collision free. Then you start to breathe again! Black ice is worse because you can't see it, only feel it when you encounter it, so highly dangerous. The word fun can have so many connotations. I have so many experiences of travelling in snow - not all good. Chill 72".
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

I've mentioned before we lived in the Arctic for a while -- and one of our "fun" things to do was to drive out on the lake (yes -- I said drive on the lake) and watch the northern lights. Fortunately we had little traffic or worry about losing the road -- it was all pretty much the same. In another Canadian city my wife did have an 'accident' on black ice -- and slid right into a police car! The circumstances of black ice issues were such that no blame was attached, not even a ticket issued. I doubt such sensibilities would ever be considered these days, but 40 years ago in Canada some semblance of forgiveness of natures picadilloes existed.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Christmas Photo 2020
christmas2020.jpg
Left to right, Luna (on the cat condo), Jenn, Rufus, Paisley, Amber, Sebastian, Moon, and Aquarius (being held by Moon)

Needless to say... this photograph was tricky. Getting four cats to cooperate with a dog, to sit still long enough for a 10 second timer to count down was... tricky... to say the least...
catshiss.jpg
Sebastian: "You mad bruh?"

Aquarius: "eeeeeekk! *hisssssss*"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.