The Year 2020

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

The Year 2020

Post by Uncle Al »

So true :!:
The Year 2020 JPG 2020-10-09.jpg
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Year 2020

Post by Faldaguy »

I think you'll get some smiles on this one. :roll: :)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:25 amI think you'll get some smiles on this one. :roll: :)
He already did.

"Signpost up ahead..."

2020 and 2021 may well go down as pivotal years, and we'd better make them our finest hour lest they be out final hour.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Shilo
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Shilo »

As the ancient Chinese curse has it :-
“May you live in interesting times. “
:roll:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

.... and I am about to commence a reread of The Stand. The other Steve is one of my favourite authors.
Steve,
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Good one Al!!!!
:lol: :laff: :toast: :laff: :lol: :rofl: :toast:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

For many of us, the moment we cross into 2021, we'll be reaching for the "delete 2020 and everything that has happened during 2020" button.

On a positive note, there is only one direction for us to take, that is onwards and upwards..
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Especially if you live in Victoria with leaders who lie daily and who caused a second wave by total incompetence and are still in power even though their incompetence is known by everyone.

John
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

John62,

I feel for you guys stuck down there in the People's Republic of Victoria.
What amazes me is how so many people are blind to what's going on, either that, plain ignorant and uncaring about what's really going on, or the direction the state is being taken.

Enough said, it would be best for us all to forget about politics right now.

Can I delete 2020 once we step into 2021? I sure hope so.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It's not all bad, some things below "that could not possibly happen" before COVID:
  • we can now order prescriptions by email (earlier we had been given so many reasons why this was not possible)
  • it is possible for many to work at home if they want to (earlier we had been given so many reasons why this was not possible)
  • bicycles are more popular than ever before and an associated increase in health and fitness
  • there has been less road accidents (motor vehicle reapairers are feeling it though, perhaps they could restore old train carriages)
  • the Australian population growth is stabilising (infinite growth is not logical or sustainable)
  • we are adapting to no economic growth (infinite growth is not logical or sustainable)
  • people are shopping locally
  • the air has been cleaner than for decades in many cities
  • people out of work are being paid enough to survive on (bring on the citizen's income)
There are plenty more. I hope that we learn something and don't totally "snap back" to the same old or we may have problems even greater than COVID on the future.

No doubt there are some who may disagree with this opinion ................. please do so politely.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Thanks Denimini,

Yes, there are some positives to be had, putting a lid on unsustainable population growth, bringing many industries back on-shore, a readjustment in property values (could be further aided by preventing foreign ownership) where properties were, on average, doubling in value every 10 years, and the valuable lesson learned to minimise debt and live well within one's means.

In saying that, I know 3 families who are looking at loosing their homes after losing their incomes, where previously, they were living well within their means, and one family that has been forced out of their rental house in similar circumstances.

They will all get back on their feet, but we need business to be open and making money for that to happen.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

6ft3Aussie wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:46 am Yes, there are some positives to be had, putting a lid on unsustainable population growth,
Not likely. Children not going to school. Poor economic conditions. Unstable food supply, these are all correlated with higher birth rates. In Indonesia alone they are expecting a baby boom of 400,000 babies next year. In poorer countries in Africa I shudder to think.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Long before Covid-19, they were saying that the global population would peak sometime in the middle of this century, with the max predicted below 10 billion. Covid-19 will have very little effects on this. Small lock-in baby boom perhaps, and a temporary dip as folks who are already old and sick die a few years early. The suicides and missed diagnostics might be more substantial, long term, than the disease.

A decreasing population is always a bad thing, as China is slowly and grudgingly learning. Europe will be in the same boat for different reasons very soon. Japan is in a very bad spot, demographically. The US population only grows because of immigration and recent immigrant families still having larger numbers of kids. Population growth is slowing nearly everywhere else.

We should not be cheering the demise of the human race. We are in no way running out of space or food. More people overall means more innovation, more thriving societies, better economies, and simply more good people in the world.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected typo
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I was under the impression that shopping has moved online due to Covid-19, not more local. I'm not sure why it would get more local, anyway.

Working from home, along with the decreased traffic, pollution, and traffic accidents are all good to see.

I think other positives coming out of this would have to include families spending more time together, and reassessment of priorities on the part of so many.

I don't know that much about how this is going in Australia, but from the sounds of it, the measures taken in the name of containing this disease have been rather draconian. You all have my sympathy and prayers.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected typo
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:51 pm
Not likely. Children not going to school. Poor economic conditions. Unstable food supply, these are all correlated with higher birth rates. In Indonesia alone they are expecting a baby boom of 400,000 babies next year. In poorer countries in Africa I shudder to think.
While this is correct in the case third world/poorer countries, my comments were in the context of Australia.

I am very aware of this situation as I have family in the Philippines, a country that is a developing country that has no, or poor social support, a high young population and birth rate, and poor access to contraception and family planning. A country of about 105 million that in the last 10 years has increased in population by about 10 to 12 percent.
I have seen people living in cardboard boxes in the middle of a highway, which is a very sad and confronting sight.