Spot the mistake...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Spot the mistake...

Post by moonshadow »

I recently had a survey completed on my two lots. I presented the surveyor with a copy of this old plat I received from the county Court house when we moved in. The drawing is from the 50's.

I figured something didn't look right when I first examined the drawing, however the surveyor also brought this to my attention.

This made creating an accurate plat somewhat difficult. In fact the surveyor I hired flat out had to "fudge" a line to make the whole thing work geometricly.

Can you spot the error in this 70 year old drawing?
Screenshot_20200610-001424_Drive_compress15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Spot the mistake...

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Hi Moonshadow,

Is the error in what I take it is the street numbering or the dimensions of the block?
On the blocks on the top of the road the numbers go 35, 34, 33, 32, 31, 42, 43 etc?

I'm used to the house numbers on one side of the street being odd and on the other side even, eg 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 etc and 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc on the other side....

Also the fact that the width of the blocks which I assume is a measurement in feet shows the same frontage width (50 feet) on both the rectangular blocks and the parallelogram shaped blocks. Surely the parallelogram shaped blocks would in reality slightly narrower than 50 feet if the length of the shortest side is 50 feet?

Plus I note that the blocks are very different shapes and sizes on wither side of the road....
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

The numbers are just lot numbers, they are not house numbers. Most people, in fact I think everyone on this subdivision have more than one lot, in fact the line between 50 and 51 goes through my living room (I have both lots)

Think more geometric....

A hint: the front and back sides of the lots are parallel.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freefrom

Post by Freefrom »

If the front and back of the plots are parallel then plot number 50 isn't measured correctly, it can't have 200 feet on one long side and 202.2 on the other. In practice it makes very little difference in terms of land area gained or lost but it does mean that plot 50 is not a parallelagram.
The fault possibly occurred when measuring up the front and back of the plots from left to right. one surveyors measure being slightly longer than the other, when they got to the bend and the two predetermined posts they had to fudge the size of the last plot (number 50) to meet the line belonging to 51.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Yes, that is the one.
I think that the road boundary on that block was adjusted so not to have a small chamfer at the corner to keep the road widths equal. It doesn't show the bearing on the other road angle otherwise I could have tested it.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You all are correct, the extra 2.2 feet on the west side created a slight issue. When my survey was completed the week before last, the surveyor more or less had to "give" me a slight triangle of land in the far bottom left corner to account for this extra two feet.

His work and calculations meshed correctly with existing monuments, fence lines, etc elsewhere in the block.
-Andrea
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

With my fault seeking nature, I spotted it even before I was reading your text. ;) It does not look like an error in writing so it must have come from something. Are the other plots to the West also of the same wrong size?

Is there a way to find out why and how this error was made?

Do you have markers on your property like steel pipes driven in the ground?

My property is measured from the curb so I think I will do some survey on my own to see if nobody shifted boundaries. ;) Viewed from Google Earth it seems correct to me.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Glad it was so easily resolved. Plot lines make many an interesting story. We once had property in Southern Oregon where the fence line was built along whatever tree was conveniently close. Then on the back line I could not find a corner stake -- once we employed a surveyor the 'missing' stake was found -- but a full 100' away -- seems the neighbors in the other direction had mistaken it as one of their corners; resulting in a drive on their side angling from a correct road stake to a hundred feet too wide at the back; and resulting in their newer neighbor building their driveway according to the erroneous fence line. With the correctly established post we headed back up the hill, only to find the line going right through the middle of my shop building! Fortunately these were all acreages, we bought out our neighbor upon whose land most of my shop was setting; other neighbors made appropriate adjustments and adaptations and all remained friendly. These were the days when RE sales folks tended to say: "The line runs from here straight thru that big Pine there"! Surveyors are a great source of entertainment -- and sometimes consternation.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

When we bought our house in the village, no one knew where the property lines were. We had a backyard fence with a yard about 50 feet wide, while the legal property description was 81 feet wide. So we had it surveyed. Turns out a neighbors' garage is about 3 inches over onto our property -- more if you count the eaves. I was told this was common in our village. We don't worry about it much but plant our garden right up to the garage wall.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Jim wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:08 am When we bought our house in the village, no one knew where the property lines were. We had a backyard fence with a yard about 50 feet wide, while the legal property description was 81 feet wide. So we had it surveyed. Turns out a neighbors' garage is about 3 inches over onto our property -- more if you count the eaves. I was told this was common in our village. We don't worry about it much but plant our garden right up to the garage wall.
My survey indicated an encroachment from my neighbors fence about 3 feet onto my side. Fortunately this section of fence is only about 25 feet or so long.

Legally when you place a fence right on the line it becomes both neighbors property. On the east side I placed mine around 12 inches inside the line (sometimes a little more or less depending on obstacles).

The encroachment I spoke of is on the west side. That neighbors trailer is a rental, so the tenant didn't have any say on it regardless, however the landlord more or less let's them do their own thing.

The fence as it stood, lines up perfectly with the corner of my barn, additionally, his fence was in pretty poor repair, so when it came time to erect mine, not wanting to two fences right smack against each other, and also not being the type of guy to make a scene over a fence that's probably been a certain way for decades, I politely asked the neighbor if he would object if I removed that old dilapidated section and replaced with with the new fence in its place. He didn't mind it.

Side note.... I was wearing a skirt that day! :mrgreen:

So that's what I did, and now we have a nice fence that both of us can enjoy.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm friends with the neighbors to the right and left of me, they've got their clique, and we (Jenn and I) aren't in it. Both are friends with each other. This wouldn't bother me so much if not for the fact they frequently would trespass through our yard, allow their animals and kids free roam, which doesn't bother me until it gets to the point where I'm having to constantly pick up their toys so I can mow, and one young man in particular seemed taken with hanging off my clothes line and stretching it out.

But even that wouldn't really bother me so much if we felt like we belonged, yet despite all of that, all of the times they would congregate right outside our bathroom window (adults too), they never once have invited us to participate in any of their functions, they've never really offered anything at all. Jenn and I got to the point where we just felt like we were in the way.

So for the last three years we have endeavored to keep the peace. Then Jenn got her dog, Rufus, and Rufus got into a fight with one of the neighbors dogs that came over, and so we decided a fence should go up. It solves all of the problems, now Rufus has the whole backyard to play in, and the neighbors have to go around and use the right of way.... like they should.

Regarding the encroachment, some of you may argue that I should take back the section, considering the clique-ish nature of the neighbors, but honestly, in my opinion gaining 75 square feet of earth isn't really worth opening hostilities with people you have to live next to.

We choose our battles...
Screenshot_20200611-100425_Gallery_compress54.jpg
20200608_200515_resize_75_compress69.jpg
20200608_195938_resize_16_compress2.jpg
Screenshot_20200611-101402_Earth_compress28.jpg
Fun side note... I see Google Earth has finally updated its satellite image... it finally shows my vehicles in the driveway... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

On the bottom of lot 51, you will note the slight sliver of property... I believe that is where he accounted for the extra two feet...
-Andrea