Sticky forums

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Sticky forums

Post by weeladdie18 »

Cannot find the sticky re IT problems.....I sign in , write a post, go to submit and the forum tells me to sign in.
The whole text is lost ....Is this your system or mine ...My Windows 8.1 has recently upgrade itself....
I feel I may need a £ 20 decontamination....one of the theories in the past was that my system could not keep up
with the big U.S. forums
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Sticky forums

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:21 pmCannot find the sticky re IT problems.....I sign in , write a post, go to submit and the forum tells me to sign in.
There are a couple of things that can cause that sort of behaviour including:
  • Taking too long to compose a message (the timer for which can be reset by using the "Preview" button,
  • Accidentally clicking the "Clear Cookies" button, or
  • your machine acquiring a new IP address that is sufficiently "different" (two or more of the dot-separated numbers differing) from what you had before.
My Windows 8.1 has recently upgrade itself....
This could bring on a host of problems, but it's likely going to be network-related. Check your IP address frequently and see if it changes.
one of the theories in the past was that my system could not keep up with the big U.S. forums
I try quite deliberately to keep Skirt Cafe lightweight in that regard. I run "elder iron" myself (far more ancient than Windwoes 8), so it helps me keep my sanity (what little there is left, that is).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

To avoid losing that precious time and effort piece of prose -

BEFORE submitting it (posting it) to the SC - SAVE it somewhere
at each stage of editing composition SAVE it - SAVE it ---

Then go ahead and post it - some glitch bug virus rejected formatting text causes the message to crash.
Logoff and sign in again then post your piece de la resistance (copy & paste) - perhaps this will rid hitchhiking bugs.

Every few lines of text in your post - SAVE it - to avoid that %#@*& crash or message rejection ---
perhaps even better format your message off SC and copy and paste when ready to post.

Nothing more frustrating to compose a message with 20 plus lines of text LINKS images and then
that harbinger from the GREAT VOID destroys your UNSAVED work !

Have it happen once - you will learn
Have it happen twice - well you have been warned --- Posting Messages in SC 101

This message was saved 4 times in the formatting - not happening to me !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Carl and R.M. ...I am taking my p.c. back for its regular £20 virus check .That treatment does work...
Sometimes an extend hold on the electrical supply button does the trick...
My current symptoms are that often my system will not sort itself out... It logged me in and then crashed....
I went into save ...followed by Yes or No...pressed ...YES ...and it crashed again .. the CAPS LOCK now has a mind of its own.
cheers Roderick
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Now going on a twenty mile drive during lock down to get my P.C. checked out....

I have had 12 years to get used to not doing a days work.....one of my current problems is that I have a debit and credit
Bank Cards ...Last week I got the numbers confused as I have not used one card for 3 months.

Currently my bank clerk cannot come out into the customer area to show me how to use the machines due to lock down

It is the same with all this I.T. ...

I have lost my Save and and cannot revue and edit before SUBMIT...there again some folks are going stupid during Lock Down.

Roderick
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Weeladdie,
Type your text in, select it all by pressing CTRL (control) + A, then press CTRL+C to copy it. Then if things go wrong, once you get back to the POST A REPLY box, just click in it and then press CTRL+V, this pastes the text you copied back into the box so that you can try again. If it fails, you can use CTRL+V again to paste for another try. You can paste as many times as you want, the buffer keeps the text until you use CTRL + C to copy something else or you reboot the computer.
If you use CTRL + X then instead of copying whatever you have selected, it cuts the selection out and puts it in the buffer so you can paste it.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you for your comments Gentlemen...Just had the usual £ 20 virus check on my P.C.....Not much wrong with my system as usual.
I must go through your recomended proceedures....Roderick
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Oh my gosh you have posted something real real nasty about crfriend or some other noteworthy bloke here at SC

Well better get right on it to straighten it out and correct it before the rath omen of the administrator strikes - - -

In other words you do a have window (a narrow window) of time to make the EDIT correction.

So no fear there is a degree of fallback in the system - use with timely care !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !