Some good news!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Some good news!

Post by moonshadow »

95 year old Oregon veteran beats covid19!

https://fox6now.com/2020/04/01/grandpa- ... -covid-19/

Whoohoo! Give em' hell Bill!

:cheers:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Some good news!

Post by Sinned »

There was a 99 year old on tele today.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

In Switzerland a lady of 112, elsewhere some one of 94. I have seen already various announcements of people of approx. 100 beating the virus.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

It is perfectly possible for a person of advanced age who is also very healthy to beat this thing. For instance, I believe our own Kirbstone wouldn't even be slowed down much by it based on his aerobic capabilities. The worst outcomes almost invariably befall individuals who are already compromised.

One of the things that stuns me is that it seems that some places are actually discouraging exercise when we need that now almost more than ever. Shutting down low-density outdoor operations like parks and the like, to me, is insane. The only places I could justify such a response is in the most densely-packed urban areas where getting adequate personal space (whatever happened to that?) is nigh-well impossible.

Even I need to get out and walk more often. I've been trying to do that recently, but the weather has not been cooperating, and I really don't want to go out for a stroll in a cold rain.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I'm flattered Carl, that you should mention me in an aerobic capacity role, but, yes, it's true that I have been visiting my loft torture chamber more often than of yore, the reason being that all outdoor rowing /sporting activity has been closed down.

I totally agree that where there is adequate space, e.g. open moorland/coastal, people should be encouraged to get out provided they observe 'physical distancing' from others. It has to be allowed and to happen, should this business go on for a time.

I do quite a lot of big dog-walking, but that's not aerobic in the least. On my ergometer the pulse rate stares at me out of the performance monitor all the time and that's the yardstick. Something like 30 minutes 3-4 times/week at 70% max ticker rate sorts out the tubes, big-time.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

crfriend wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:42 pm One of the things that stuns me is that it seems that some places are actually discouraging exercise when we need that now almost more than ever. Shutting down low-density outdoor operations like parks and the like, to me, is insane.
Considering the nasty cold my neice and I caught about a day after visiting a playground in Centerville (just east of Hyannis), I would have to argue that their closure isn't such a bad idea.

Kids are little petri dishes and their climbing/sliding/swinging structures are all about as sanitary as your typical toilet seat.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

kingfish wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:30 pmKids are little petri dishes and their climbing/sliding/swinging structures are all about as sanitary as your typical toilet seat.
In this case, I shall cede my point, but in a setting such as that there is effectively no meaningful separation of parties involved. I was primarily thinking of adults in my assertion.

In actuality, the typical toilet seat may actually be cleaner than some of the playground structures mentioned. However, I'm not sure I'd do anything much to change that; the exposure to non-lethal microbes over time is entirely likely beneficial to immune systems that are trying to learn their way in the world. Contemplate what a child who grew up in an entirely sterile world would face when he departed the "bubble"...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:42 pm One of the things that stuns me is that it seems that some places are actually discouraging exercise when we need that now almost more than ever. Shutting down low-density outdoor operations like parks and the like, to me, is insane. The only places I could justify such a response is in the most densely-packed urban areas where getting adequate personal space (whatever happened to that?) is nigh-well impossible.
A long long time ago... in a galaxy far far away, I used to take frequent walks around town in the middle of the night. As the weather warms up I may start this practice again.

There rumor of curfews, but I have not been able to verify them. At any rate, what better time to socially distance than to be out when the world is sleeping?

Additionally I'm somewhat puzzled as to why grocery stores are cutting their hours waaaaay back as a result of this (Walmart has been closing at 830PM...) Seems to me that more operating hours would mean more spreading out of customers.

I'm not saying go back to 24 hours... but trying to shove the entire populous into a 12 hour window seems like could increase the chances of exposure.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:59 am Additionally I'm somewhat puzzled as to why grocery stores are cutting their hours waaaaay back as a result of this (Walmart has been closing at 830PM...) Seems to me that more operating hours would mean more spreading out of customers.
The story I've heard is for there to be an empty time at the stores for thorough cleaning/disinfecting.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Wal-Mart has started to limit the number of people allowed in the store at any one time to help insure they stay at least 6 feet apart. Heard this on the news this evening.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:21 am Wal-Mart has started to limit the number of people allowed in the store at any one time to help insure they stay at least 6 feet apart. Heard this on the news this evening.
Yeah, and I hear they are forcing people in one way aisles and kinda nudging people along. I imagine you won't be able to casually shop. It will be "get what you need and get moving".

As you walk the aisles, you will either be holding someone else up, or being held up.

I understand the reason, but no thanks.

Also considering that Walmart's shelves are often picked clean of what you need, it's almost a waste of time to stop in. And if you need toilet paper... forget it. I saw a pallet of it at a Sams I was working in about a week ago. It was gone by mid-day.

Haven't seen a pack since then....

Sanitizer? Bleach? Lysol spray? Nope! Haven't seen those since early March.

Anyway, I think I'll just steer clear of walmart for the duration of this, go to Food Lion in Abingdon for my major stuff (biweekly) and the local dollar general and Food City for the incidentals.

Right now walmart just has too much of a "apocalyptic vibe"... Morale is everything in these times.
-Andrea